Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for the novel.

Heres how it started. While on a ride my clutch lever felts squishy. I watched my fluid drop every time I pulled in my lever so I stuck it in 2nd and rode home only using the clutch one more time while pulling up into the driveway. I pulled off the slave and saw that the clutch rod drilled a hole through the guts of the slave cylinder. I went and replaced the guts it and it happened again within the first 30 miles. I then found the bearing in the pressure plate was completely seized up. (should have looked at this the first time, but live and learn) I replaced the entire clutch kit with one from gotham cycles (barnett clutch, basket, hub). Got that all installed and the bike ran fine for about another 80 miles then it happened again. This time it did not bust a hole through the guts, it actually shaved the rounded end off the clutch rod making it flat. I got a new rod and the lengths looked different. I read online that there were 2 different lengths from 99to00. Because the stock one was ground down I was unsure of the stock length. So now I'm thinking its the master. I get a rebuild kit which was hard to track down and it looks very different. I took it to the Ducati shop by me and they said it should work because the lengths were the same and it appeared to be the same width. The kit is a 13mm rebuild kit for a brembo master with a remote reservoir. The new kit would not prime the lines and started to leak from the clutch lever side. I'm assuming its not wide enough. I cleaned off the old (plunger?? not sure the terminology) and replaced it. It sucked the fluid right up and became stiff. Very stiff in fact. I thought there maybe air but it appeared to have the clutch somewhat engaged. It was hard to click it in gear. I tried to bleed it to see if maybe there was air in the lines and I heard a pop and then brake fluid pours out from the slave just like before when it drilled a hole. I pulled off the slave and found that there was no hole but now I think the guts are bad because it leaks. I'm just about to get an oberon but I don't want to spend anymore money until I know why its doing this. Not sure if the new rod is too long and it just popped the slave cylinders cherry or what. FYI the bike was NOT running when I tried to click through the gears.

Any help is greatly appreciated. That last pic was a nice surprise at the shop. Just a $40,000 bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
Did you check stack height ? If not , even though the clutch pack is new, I’d check it. Are you using an aftermarket lever ? Sometimes that affects the bleed down hole at the master. Is your hydraulic line in good shape, no chance it’s clogged or breaking down internally ?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you check stack height ? If not , even though the clutch pack is new, I’d check it. Are you using an aftermarket lever ? Sometimes that affects the bleed down hole at the master. Is your hydraulic line in good shape, no chance it’s clogged or breaking down internally ?

I'll double check the stack height. I still have the stock lever on and I'm not sure about the line. I'll give it a good flush and try again. Thanks for the advice!

·
Premium Member
5,149 Posts
In the picture of the two pushrods you can see a couple possible clues.

1. the bottom pushrod has clearly been run installed backwards at some point.

2. your clutch pushrod bearing has failed and is turning down the pushrods.

Inspect the pushrod seal and more importantly the needle bearing behind it before going any further.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts