Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, Tried starting my 900ss the other day and she wouldnt start. Last time I swapped two relays around (one for the headlight and another one right next to it and found the relay was shot). Unfortunately its not working this time. I turn the key have power everywhere but the fuel pump isnt priming at all. I believe the fuel pump is in the tank but where is the fuel pump relay so I can test that.
Cheers.

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
Wiring etc.

The relay is "27" on this diagram. You should be able to work out which one it is by the colour of the wires. Also, assuming the relay is OK, you can remove the headlamp fuse and feel which relay clicks when you turn on the ignition.

The coil is energised by the pink/black wire from the ECU. You can also test voltage at the connector under the tank. There are 4 wires - 2 for fuel pump and 2 for low fuel lamp. The pos for the fuel pump is brown and white. Unfortunately the diag shows a white and brown for the fuel light, so you will need to work out which is which.

Also, if you look at the diag, 27 provides power to the coils and injectors as well, so you should see voltage there as well, then trace the fault if you have voltage at one component but not at the pump.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the detailed feedback.
Found that when I swapped the fuel pump relay with the head lamp relay I got nothing at all.
One of the relays must be dead. It clicks but gthat is all.
Do you know the best relays to replace them with because I'll buy a couple.
Where would I source these from?

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
Relay code

I have never had to buy one, but it will be a relatively standard unit. When you swapped over, did the good one start the fuel pump?

Can you read the manufacturer's name and code off the relay? Bigger auto stores like Brisons, if they are in West Oz, may have it. RS Components and Farnell also carry a large range of relays that you can at least see on line. You might even strike lucky at Dick Smith Electronics.

I will lift my tank a bit later and have a look. Where was the relay?

Richard

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We took out the headlamp relay and tried the relay that sits right next to it. The headlamp didn't power up at all. We then put the original headlamp relay back in and it come on fine. Therefore we believe its the relay. The fuel pump didnt crank though which is of small concern but when we replace the faulty relay we willl go from there.
The relays are located underneath the tank right near the fuse box. There are two of them side by side.
Will look at farnells. This is so far the second relay that has failed in 8 yrs.
Not bad really for a bike thats meant to have electrical issues.....

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
Check the wiring diag

First off, that other relay is not a headlamp relay. It is the ignition relay. When the key is turned to on, this relay closes and provides power to fuses 2 to 5. The other side of these run to all sorts of components. Not sure that swapping will allow a test really.

Test the relay (looking at the wiring diag I posted) Pull it out and the 4 terminals should have numbers beside them. With the relay sitting on the bench, the resistance between terminals 30 and 87 should be infinite as the relay is open. If you apply 12V across terminals 85 and 86 (the coil) the relay should click and the resistance between 30 and 87 should go to close to zero Ohms.

If this works, then your problem is elsewhere, maybe wiring, maybe corroded connectors, the fuel pump or even the ECU.

Keep us informed.

·
The days are getting longer!
8,278 Posts
Kill switch position? I know its a dumb question, but we have all done it:D

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
Part no. from your other thread

This Tyco number you put in the other thread appears to be an industry standard code. Siemens do one, but Guzzi threads seem to cast aspersions on these.

Take it into the biggest auto electric dealer or even electrical wholesaler and they will pull out books on relays and will no doubt find an equivalent.

Richard

1 - 8 of 8 Posts