Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

61 - 80 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
A lot of work today. Installed the new timing belts, attached the engine onto the frame and began installing the swing arm. Having a little trouble getting the swing arm shaft all the way through. It’s hanging up on something at the end of the far side. I didn’t want tomwhacj it too hard with the sledge so I decided to take a break and try again tomorrow night.

I feel good that it’s going back together!

share picture

·
Registered
54 Posts
Nice!!
Valve clearance check might be easier now then with more parts in the way
The frame looks outstanding
Great Work!

·
Premium Member
1,149 Posts
Your doing a really nice job and looks great! But I have to ask is that a Manta in the garage? Very cool!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
That’s a GT40. It’s a 1968 replica of a MKII. It’s getting there. It’s a chassis, corvette brakes, Mustang Coyote engine and a splash mold from an original GT40.

Still need the Porsche 911 transaxle and finish up the interior.

Its a pretty cool project. Been working on it for a few years.

I think I need a bigger garage. I’m building the Monster in the basement.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Oh man that bundle 'o snakes, God I love GT40 exhaust. Are they true 180* manifolds?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Didn’t get a lot of work done today, the job got in the way.

I’m missing the swing arm shims so I ordered some and they should be here soon. In the meantime I did some little things that aren’t hard but have to get done. While I’m waiting for the shims, I’m going to try and do as much as I can.

So I put on the carbs and mounted all the little air and vapor canisters as well as the horn and the rectifier.

I also have the fork nice and tight and I’ll be ready for the front wheel soon.

This is the fun part. Tearing it down you learn so much, but by the time you’ve gathered all the parts and cleaned and restored everything, going back together even a little bit at a time, is a blast,

skyline 370z

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #72 (Edited)
I’m learning so I’ll tell you my mistakes as I go.

Put a lot of parts on the frame today. Still waiting on my swing arm shims so I can’t do anything with the rear wheel. I think I need to replace the valve stem in the front wheel so I can’t put that on either. I’m going to try to remove the little valve in the stem this weekend and replace it. If I can’t, I’ll need to replace the entire stem. Chances are I’ll buy new tires anyway so when I get them mounted I’ll have them put a stem in, or I may mount them myself. I’ve mounted motorcycle tires by hand before, It’s no fun, but it can be done.

I installed all of the front end controls and the carbs. What a pain in the ass it is trying to figure out the carb cables and get them connected. I hope I don’t do that again anytime soon. The choke cable was easy.

I have a feeling I’ll be taking things off again. Putting this back together in the right order is hit or miss. I already figured out that I have to take the ignition off to put the air box on. I knew that but I put the ignition on anyway. I wish I remembered.

Oh well. Here’s today’s update.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
It looks a little silly with the front fender on and no tire, but I really like putting this back together. It’s a blast.

I’m going to wait on the air box for now. I may have to take the carbs off again to add fuel and vent hoses; so after all the fuel system is complete, I’ll add the air box. I’m thinking that I may add the wire harness this weekend.

I’m getting there.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
I also learned that I bought the wrong gauge bolts. I needed to figure out some spacers so the bolts would work. It raised the gauges up a little which I actually like better anyway.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Put on the front wheel and began running hydraulic lines and main harness. I cleaned up the valve stem and it took air.

Its beginning to look like a motorcycle.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Got a lot done this morning. Added the fuel system and the wiring harness. Everything is connected just waiting to add the air box for the coils.

Today my swing arm shims came so I’ll try to mount the rear wheel tomorrow.

I’m getting there.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
The shims that came today are the wrong ones. Damn...now I have to find new ones and wait for them to arrive.

Oh well, live and learn.

61 - 80 of 91 Posts