Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

41 - 60 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Good stuff, great progress, and aside from ditching the black valve covers for silver the engine looks really solid, I'd just Simple Green, brush, and garden hose it clean. Also think about new cush bushings, basically just do all the little shit since it's apart and will just be done (at least as far as annoying maintenance)
Thanks. The engine came that way. It’s extremely clean for a 20 year old bike. The speedometer has 8,300 miles on it and it worked when I took it apart. According to the guy I bought it from, it had been sitting outside for 10 years and the frozen bolts confirm that. The engine tho, looks super clean!

I’m going to paint the frame this Saturday if it’s nice. My color came today, but I wish I bought two cans.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #43 (Edited)
The colorite Ducati gold looks perfect. The only down side is I only bought one can. Not sure what I was thinking. I knew I’d need two.

Colorite doesn’t recommend a clear coat over this, but I’m not sure if I should or not.

I guess I’ll listen to them.

Here’s the first can used. Next weekend if it’s as nice as today, the second can will go on.

Not bad at all.

I’ll hit it with a wet sand with about 2000 before I second coat it.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Got a little motivated today and masked up the rear rotor for paint. Didn’t come out as good as I hoped, but you really can’t see it all that well when it’s on the bike anyway.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Also cleaned up the rear sprocket and the wheels. The front wheel needs a little touch up paint. I’ll do that when the colorite paint comes.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Here’s a couple pictures of the garage and the XDiavel. I also use the basement that’s connected.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #49 (Edited)
Snapped off a bolt on the front of the lower triple tree. Some sort of adjustment bolt.

Does anyone know what this does? I haven’t had a lot of luck removing broken bolts. I could try drilling it out but I usually ruin the thread. I tried heat, but that’s when the adjustment nut snapped off. I’ll most likely get a different lower tree.

The next couple of years up, they had a little air foil that attaches to the bottom of the tree.

2 questions; 1) are the forks the same size on a 2000 and a 2003? And 2, what does that little foil do (see below)?

I’m wondering if I should upgrade to a 2003 so I can get the little foil. Might as well if I have to get a new tree anyway.

I have to believe that Ducati wouldn’t have added this slight mod if it didn’t have an added benefit like better cooling to the rectifier or something like that. Maybe better cooling on the engine.

If the diameter of the forks are the same, I probably should do it. Just don’t want to spend 70 bucks if the fork sizes are different.

Outside of this little fairing, I think the lower tree is the same???

image hosting

·
Registered
541 Posts
The screw looks like your adjuster for the steering stops. You'll definitely want those, but you could drill, tap, and replace with whatever you have available.

The other part is just called a 'mudflap' and it serves that purpose.

No help on the fork sizing, though. Sorry.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
If it’s just a mud flap then I’ll pass. Thanks for the info. I’ll try to drill it out and see how it goes.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
After a little wet sanding, the frame is almost ready. Needs more color. A second can should make it perfect.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #54 (Edited)
Tried getting the bolt out. Decided to get another lower tree.

I’m ALMOST at the point to start putting it back together.

I bought some silver and gold paint from Rustoleum to touch up the swing arm where there was some rust under rear mug guard. Also a little rust by where the swing arm bolts go.

Not perfect, but better than rust and it will stop the spread. Once the mudguard is back, it will be covered up anyway.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
So I picked up a new set of triple trees, bought new rizoma handlebars and replaced the fork seal, dust caps and fork oil.

The steering bearings look good. I’m just going to gease them up real well or is that foolish? Should I buy new bearings while it’s all apart?

The frame paint never arrived or I’d paint a final coat on it. I guess I’ll have to wait until next week.

Once the frame is dry, I’ll begin to reassemble!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I just replaced the lower triple on mine recently since one side had cracked
The set I bought off eBay had good tapered bearings
Cleaned them up with contact cleaner and blowing them out with low pressure compressed air
Regreased with mobile 1 synthetic by packing by hand
So far no notchy steering or handling issues 600 miles in
Check the races in your steering stem
If they are not badly pitted or scored you should be good
Cleaned mine up with scotch brite red and contact cleaner
Be sure to preload them correctly
Re check/tighten after 500 miles

Your making great progress!!
Best Wishes -Geno

Attachments

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Thanks, reassembly will be a lot more fun than repairing and restoring. But I think it’s coming together really well.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #58 (Edited)
What to do when battery acid eats through your air box?

You could buy a used one for 100 bucks, or fiberglass and repair the old one.

You’ll never see it anyway. A little sanding and some flat black paint and I’m done.

photo gallery online

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
I’ve cleaned and restored every nut and bolt on this project.

Now the fun begins!

First will be new timing belts that come on Monday, then reassembly!

41 - 60 of 91 Posts