Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 40 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
The media blast didn’t cut through the rust as I hoped it would.

On the underside there was considerable rot from what I assume was battery acid. It looks like it could have been eating away at the steel for years.

I filed and sanded for maybe 4 hours until my 61 year old body begged me to stop. I did manage to take out all the high spots from the rust and I sanded pretty well.

The frame is ALMOST ready for a primer. Still has some sanding to go. I just didn’t have any umph left.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Just ordered Eastwood 2K metal primer and Colorite Ducati antique gold frame paint.

$75.00 for two cans of paint. Wow

It’ll be worth it tho, the frame is going to look great!

·
Registered
6,584 Posts
See if your brake lines are cracking, dry rotting. Highly recommend replacing with braided stainless. HH pads on rear, but some feel they are too sensitive on front for street use and use a GG pad there.
You could check your clutch plates if you’re bored.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
See if your brake lines are cracking, dry rotting. Highly recommend replacing with braided stainless. HH pads on rear, but some feel they are too sensitive on front for street use and use a GG pad there.
You could check your clutch plates if you’re bored.
Thanks, great idea. I am trying not to open up the engine accept for timing belts and an oil change.

Will definitely do braided brake lines. I may also add a new clutch line as well.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
This frame is taking a lot of time. I never realized how much hardware are on these things; rubber grommets, tiny bolts, little mounts for electrical. I got a little plastic bag full.

There is also a lot of rust and battery acid marks. Being left outside For 10 years has taken its toll.

I got the front wheel off today. Not a very big deal, but it allows me to see how bad the paint is. I was hoping the wheels didn’t need a repaint and thankfully they don’t. There are just a few small marks that I’ll paint. I’ve also been debating whether I should fill those with bondo or not and I think I just decided that I’m going to; bondo is just such a frikkin mess tho.

My primer is coming tomorrow and the colorite Antique Ducati Gold should be here Friday. I’m not going to add color to the frame until the primer is completely dry, maybe a few days or more.

I’m trying something new; I bought the 2K two part epoxy primer that I’ve read a lot about. I wonder if any of you have tried this primer? It’s supposed to give you a result as close to a spray gun as possible.

I want to make sure the frame is 100% ready which means a few more days of prepping and I hope to prime over the weekend.

(don’t let the vice grips scare you...I was using them to get a rusted screw/grommet off)

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I also have a replacement top triple tree coming because I had to cut the bolt off for the gauge mount and it’s still stuck in the tree. Rusted solid.

I’m going to replace the fork seals and dust covers while everything is apart and of course new steering bearings. .

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
Here’s an opinion question. Since I have a cruiser (Xdiavel) for long rides, this is going to be an around town and tear up the mountains bike. I have to replace the handlebars. Would you guys recommend clip-ons or handlebars?

Can’t have a wrong answer, just an opinion...

Scratch that, going bars...

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Does anyone know how to remove the rear fork (dog bone)?

These bolts are frozen solid. I can’t break them free. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Also...BIG DAY TODAY...I’m going to prime the frame with this new Spray Max 2K!

Been prepping for a week and it’s going to be 62 degrees out today.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
This spray is pretty cool. Goes on well with no drips. Great coverage.

I’m going to let it dry for a week than hit it with the Ducati gold.

I think it’s going to come out really well.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Does anyone know how to remove the rear fork (dog bone)?

These bolts are frozen solid. I can’t break them free. Any suggestions?
Hit it with some PB Blaster and let it soak overnight. Then apply heat --torch, heat gun, or oven (if the wife's not looking).

Frame looks like it's coming out great.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Thanks, don’t have any PB in the house. I’ll soak it with WD40 overnight and hit it with a torch.

I also need some allen sockets. These little wrenches bend.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Good stuff, great progress, and aside from ditching the black valve covers for silver the engine looks really solid, I'd just Simple Green, brush, and garden hose it clean. Also think about new cush bushings, basically just do all the little shit since it's apart and will just be done (at least as far as annoying maintenance)

21 - 40 of 91 Posts