Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm embarassed to say I have never pulled the tank and my 748 I've owned for 9 years (usually have dealer work on it). I'm going to replace coolant hoses this weekend and am wondering on a base 748 do I have to plug any fuel lines when I remove the tank or is the fuel delivery vacuum operated. I know it does not have quick connects but are there any tips I need to know.Thanks,John

·
Registered
790 Posts
Hmm. Well, I 'guess' you'll have fuel spillage if you don't have QR.
Then you'll just have to improvise to minimize/stop the spillage.
I popped mine off with near full tank, Thanks to the QR :D
Buy one of these. It's like $20. It may help.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
If you don't have QR's yes there will be spillage. Remove the bolt holding the tank down at the back (it's a lot easier if you take the tail off). Next lift the tank a little and place a towel ontop of the vertical cylander. Now what I do is unscrew the fuel lines and as I pop them off the banjo bolts, quickly slip my finger onto the end of the banjo bolt where the hole is for the fuel. lay the fuel lines onto the towel so that as some of the fuel escapes it's absorbed into the towel. Once you have both lines disconnected, remove the tank by lifting at the back, and sliding the front part to the rear. Shabam, it's off.. Also make sure you take some rags and shove into the bell housings of the throttle bodies (they look like silver upside down bells). That'll keep any dirt or debris out of your engine (which could be a bad thing).

Edit: Also, get the Haynes manual!!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the response. I know I will spill whatever is in the lines but will the tank continue to drain once it is off or do I drain the tank or install a piece of fuel line that is blocked.I have the factory manual but it does not detail this....John

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Thanks for the response. I know I will spill whatever is in the lines but will the tank continue to drain once it is off or do I drain the tank or install a piece of fuel line that is blocked.I have the factory manual but it does not detail this....John

If the tank is not too full, turn it upside down and lay it down on something soft so as to not scratch the tank. When I first did that, I was skeptical but it worked perfectly; as long as the gaskets on the gas cap are in good condition.

·
Buzzing the tower
996 Posts
You'll get a little bit of spillage from the tank, but it won't be a free-flowing river. Just get an extra piece of fuel line and attach each end to the fittings as you disconnect the lines from the bike, linking the tank fittings together, so to speak.
Only warning regarding turning the tank over to store it is that if the weather or temperature changes (heats up during the day), you can push fuel out of the vent lines since they are now at the "bottom" of the tank. Actually happens more readily with a less-filled tank since air expands more than fuel does when heated. If the fuel lines are plugged (or connected together), there is no need to turn the tank over to store it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts