Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
my 2000 748 is not starting. It was nice enough to go ride and the battery was at 11.4V, so I tried to turn the key and the starter wasn't clicking on at all to try to turn (not even weak turning over). I tried to jump it with a car battery with the car running (at full on 14.4V basically).

I checked all the fuses on the side of the bike (master, etc), but I don't know if I'm missing a key fuse or relay for the starter or something? Where would those be for me to check?

I put my bike on a trickle charger and I'll try again later this afternoon/night with a fully charged battery to eliminate that as a problem. Help please!

·
Registered
987 Posts
A common problem with early superbikes is that after running fine and then shut off, it won't start again, say after a refueling stop. You don't hear a click of the starter relay or the starter motor turning. Sometimes if you wait a few minutes it will restart normally.

The culprit is the two-wire plastic connector plug located behind the starter relay (the round gold component near the battery.) The connector often makes a poor connection from distortion or corrosion. Usually jiggling or unplugging and plugging the connector will get you going again. It may be that the heat inside the fairing causes thermal expansion of the components and exacerbates the problem.

So check the electrical connector that goes to the relay. They always seem to fit poorly. Better-still, zip-tie it together.

Attachments

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Check the proper functioning of the side stand switch/sensor.
I'll double check that, but a previous owner had already deleted it over 10k miles ago. I doubt that's it since my bike has always been able to start on the side stand deployed or retracted

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A common problem with early superbikes is that after running fine and then shut off, it won't start again, say after a refueling stop. You don't hear a click of the starter relay or the starter motor turning. Sometimes if you wait a few minutes it will restart normally.

The culprit is the two-wire plastic connector plug located behind the starter relay (the round gold component near the battery.) The connector often makes a poor connection from distortion or corrosion. Usually jiggling or unplugging and plugging the connector will get you going again. It may be that the heat inside the fairing causes thermal expansion of the components and exacerbates the problem.

So check the electrical connector that goes to the relay. They always seem to fit poorly. Better-still, zip-tie it together.
you were bang-on with this. I jostled the relay and it started right up as if there was no problem. I'll have to keep that in mind

Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.