Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
HI I am new to Ducati.MS and have read through the forums for over a week now looking for some kinda clue as to what to check on my Ducati. I appreciate any help. Here is what is happening. First its a 2000 748 biposto, I roll my baby outside on the drive and start it up and let it warm up to 120 degrees or so, hope on and ride a couple miles to the highway when I get on the highway or just get on the throttle hard my bike completely shuts down. Usually around 6500 rpm, took it to the local Ducati shop and they replaced the battery and the 2 relays under the seat, was explained to me I will feel these relays tick once then 2 or 3 seconds later tick again and I will hear the fuel pump come on. So I can feel the relay tick and and sometimes it will restart other times it just sits there till the tow truck arrives. The gas lines inside the tank have been checked by Ducati mechanic and they've replaced a crushed exhaust gas lines coming from the tank. The bike has a performance chip in it and I am not sure what kind it is but they put the bike on the dyno and run it up to 9500 rpm in 1,2,3,4th with no problems and stated the chip is kicking in at the right rpms and enriching the fuel perfectly, its got half a tank of gas in it. I know how to check for voltage now and some of the connections for electrical like the connector behind the battery box, how do I check the gas lines inside of the tank I would really like to verify it but not sure if I have to take the tank off. Spark plugs are fine not wet or anything like that just a slight tan like normal and the fuel pump has been replaced. Fuses are good, key fits snugly into slot and is not loose at all, start button feels good not loose or anything. I'm kinda at a loss since this is my first Ducati I want to make sure I check everything and the previous owner kept up with the maintenance like belts and valve adjustments and such. Bike will run fine till you get on it and go over 6500 rpm. Every time the shop thinks they have it fixed either myself or the mechanic will ride it and bam same problem returns. Can anyone think of anything else I should check and again thanks for your time I know the post is kinda long.

·
Registered
469 Posts
On the left crank case, toward the front is the water pump. Just in front of this you will see a wire which is connected to the ignition pick-up. The pick up is obstructed a bit by the various water pipes for the pump.

The pick-up takes its readings from the flywheel inside the cank-case cover.

The wire that connects to the ignition pick-up is black (or covered by a black sheeth) and should be arranged in a sort of coil or loop. There will be a connector where this wire from the ignition pick-up connects to the wiring loom.

Disconnect this connector - It may well be full of water, and causing your problem. Dry it out, grease it thoroughly, arrange it so that water can't run down the sheeth into the connector again, and go for a ride.

Good luck.

Spin

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the info I will check that first thing in the morning. I called the shop to see if they had found anything yet and the shop manager said he found a 3rd relay its a yellow colored relay and it is under the front of the gas tank kind of toward the left side they unplugged it and found loads of corrosion, looked like water had gotten in the relay somehow. Replaced that, dynoed it and rode it 3 times with no issue. So I went and nervously picked it up and the shop manager was kind enough to take a small 8 mile ride with me to verify it ran good and did not die, this was 15 minutes before closing time for the shop. This is also the third time I have attempted to pick up the bike after the whole problem started. I hit it in first and second gear to 10500 rpm and it runs like a champ right now, it actually surprised me because since buying it a month ago I have not been able to ride it for more than a few minutes before it dies, needless to say it was more power than expected and almost caught me off guard. Guess it had never really had full power till they fixed all the relays and reconnected all the wiring under the tank and checked connections to make sure no more corrosion had set in on anything. They also didn't charge me anything considering they spent days trying to track down the problem I am very grateful and they have my business from here on out. I will definitely double check the wire and connector regardless just to make sure it is good too. I'm so excited I washed and waxed my bike at 2am this morning.... :) Thanks Spin and I will let you know what I found. Micheal

I also added a link to some pics of my bike.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157615557281730/show/

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Connection looks good and still having the same problem it only happens if i peg the throttle if I back off a half inch it still pulls very very hard and will not cut out.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Connection looks good and still having the same problem it only happens if i peg the throttle if I back off a half inch it still pulls very very hard and will not cut out.
Most likely the problem will be in the speed sensor itself. Remove the two allen head bolts that hold it to the left side cover and pull it out. If it is difficult to remove because it is swollen then the sensor is at fault. It should very easily pull out.
If it is not swollen ohm the unit and record reading. I cannot remember the normal ohm range but perhaps someone else here does. My notes are at work and I won't get back there till next week. This has happened to me once and sounds similar.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK I will check for the speed sensor, as soon as I find it, sorry I been away my 9 year has been very sick but she is feeling better now, thank you for the help i really appreciate it cause noone can figure this out.

·
Registered
37 Posts
i have exactly the same problem....
its a 1997 916....

ill go over the wiring and relays to see what i can find....

hope its just a corroded or lose connection...

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am having something of the same problem, although slightly different.

Mine occurs at various places during my trip.

AT times when I start the bike to let it warm, or soon after starting my trek, if i turn on the lights (european switch) the power will cut off.

I can turn the key off and on a few times, and the power comes back and I am able to start it.

Then at later parts of a trip, the bike will be under power and suddently stall. Same fix, turn the ignition off and on, and have to restart.

Since it is not constant, its hard to track down :(

Was there any solution/progress made ?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts