Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2" woodcraft clipons to high for my 749?? Or trade in the bike.....Damn Carpal Tunnel

Hey guys I was wondering if swapping my stock clipons for the woodcraft 2" riser clipons will work? I'm trying to make the 749 more comfortable before I decide to trade it in for something else. I have Carpal tunnel in both wrist so the all the weight on the wrists kinda hurts. I love my Duc and don't want to trade it in, but if I can't figure something out, I just might have to. So, What are my options??

·
comrade moderator
27,345 Posts
There isn't enough room with the stock upper to raise the bars hardly at all. FBF and Heli-Bars raise the outside end of the bars 3/4" or thereabouts.
Here's what I was going to do with my 749:

http://www.spieglerusa.com/cfm/sbk.cfm

You'll have to trim the upper fairing and screen to match, but...otherwise there's not much you can do.
I think this is just badass, and I kinda wish I'd have done this before selling the bike:

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
I rode my 999 down to Fast by Ferracci and bought a set of their bar risers. First they are beautiful, second they work! The guys down there put them on for me, so it was drive in w/ the old clip ons, drive out w/ the new FBF clip ons. The difference was immediately felt and it was good to ride the bike down there (about 15minutes) to get the feeling of the old clip ons, then leave w/ the feeling of the new.....which is really substanially better and well worth the money. I leaned towards the FBF over the Heli's because of build quality! They will really help!

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,882 Posts
Looks like there should be some leather tassles on those bar ends. :)

Hey, I say do what you gotta do so you can ride the bike you love. Mine aren't exactly triple mounted bars like those, but I do have Helibars on my SPS. I'll take a little ribbing if it means I can do those 535 mile days (Slimey Crud) and not require hospitalization afterwards.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
the Cycle Cats go +1.75"; worthwhile if you really want o use the bike for more everyday riding.. but in the end you still have a superbike. I'm selling the cycle cat risers that came with my 749; re-installed a set of Woodcrafts (race clip-ons)

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
There is lots of room of you chuck the integrated master cylinder reservoirs. That only requires getting a couple of parts from Brembo for about $10.00, and you'll need remote reservoirs.
I'll look something like this with raised bars.
The Cycle Cats could be even higher and still clear.......

·
Premium Member
8,750 Posts
The featured setup by Chuck may work, but I would rather switch to a sport tour bike. You'll be surprized how good a Multistrada or ST performs. I would think the Multi would be even more comfortable than the ST because its more upright. The various clip on risers do help, but I wonder if you need more than just a little relief. Even with a bike like a Multi what about the other functions like working the clutch and brakes, could that also put strain on your hands and wrist? Trial and error could get expensive, I would try and hitch a ride on a sport tour bike first with upright ergos and see how that suits your wrists. I had the FBF bracket risers which provided about an 8 degree up position. It helped, but again will something like that be enough? I would be surprised if it was.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't think it's the height of the bars that bother me, I think it's the angle at which they point backwards. I took off the fairings and straightened the bars out to almost straight bars, then I took it around for a ride fairingless and I had no pain and issues at all. I'll try to adjust the bars as much as I can without the fairings getting in the way at full lock, and see what happens. Anyone else have advice out there based on my new found info??? Maybe I'll change the bike into a streetfighter. :eek::) :eek:

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
I don't think it's the height of the bars that bother me, I think it's the angle at which they point backwards. I took off the fairings and straightened the bars out to almost straight bars, then I took it around for a ride fairingless and I had no pain and issues at all. I'll try to adjust the bars as much as I can without the fairings getting in the way at full lock, and see what happens. Anyone else have advice out there based on my new found info??? Maybe I'll change the bike into a streetfighter. :eek::) :eek:
Some people also object to the downward angle of the Ducati clip-ons, which at 7 degrees is quite steep. A flatter pair, rotated slightly out is far more comfortable for street riding.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So do I have any options?? I really want to keep the 749. Are there any bars that are less of an angle?? Maybe higher?? What are my choices?? Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Did you read any of the responses? :confused:
Yes I did. Sorry I meant if I wanted to stay with clipons. Are there any that are at less extreme angles??

·
Registered
871 Posts
I posted my modifications to my 996 a few months back; however, no one seemed to have any interest.

I purchased SWATT clip-ons 2 1/2" rise (nice quality, great price), shaved a bit off my upper fairing and purchased Rizoma reservoirs which I relocated further back to allow for more clearance.

The result is a 996 which now provides almost all day comfort. (additional help from a Corbin seat, high windscreen, CycleCat adjustable rearsets and gel grips).

It is not necessary to purchase an ST or a Multi if your heart's not there. With a little money, some basic mechanical skills and time you can transform your sportbike into a sport tourer.

Attachments

·
Registered
871 Posts
Almost forgot, I just added some nice black CRG short levers and an Oberon slave cylinder to finish it off. :D

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
There isn't enough room with the stock upper to raise the bars hardly at all. FBF and Heli-Bars raise the outside end of the bars 3/4" or thereabouts.
Here's what I was going to do with my 749:

You'll have to trim the upper fairing and screen to match, but...otherwise there's not much you can do.
I think this is just badass, and I kinda wish I'd have done this before selling the bike:
Dang Chuckster, what are you like 90 now. That's about the worst abuse of a Superbike I've ever seen....IMHO!

Here is what I did. The down angle is a killer. Yes, other clippers will not clear with the non round reservoirs. But there is room for improvement (BTW I carpel too). I bought replacement bodywork and fitted, stressed up and trimmed. Bought Woodcraft Mediums (I think 1 or 1.5"). Fitted the upper so that the Woodcrafts were all the way up and the angle that I wanted. Big improvement. Built me a fairing stay (tried Vortex but didn't like it). Then I built a light bucket to attach to my fairing stay so's I could take this honker from street to track inside of 20 minutes.

Finally, added weighted bar end sliders to dampen the buzz for my carpels. It was a great deal of work but it was fun and I can now ride it for a while before the hands take a nap. Too much work? Maybe, but you asked.:)

Attachments

·
comrade moderator
27,345 Posts
:D yeah...all you kids riding around doing handstands on your hunchy-bikes...someday ya'll figure that nobody needs to ride around on a motorcycle in that position except racers. And thats the truth. :think:

·
Premium Member
8,750 Posts
I'm sure there is a solution to this, but what will you be sacrificing in terms of esthetic appeal? If you don't care it doesn't matter, but if you do there is a gray area between the bike looking like a mutant or one with riser mods that appears stock.

·
Registered
923 Posts
oh man is that 999 awful looking with the upright bars. I would rather admit i'm old and drive a GT1000 then do that to a 999. I'm all for better clip ons though.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts