Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this honestly realistic? My Multi is heaven for me alone, and for up to a few hours without a break... then, if my hands aren't frozen numb, my arse is hurting...

Here's the trouble: my lovely bride wants to experience motorcycling with me... she wants to take "a" bike on some longer trips, and she'd like to go exploring with me on weekends occasionally as well. That's all great news, right? Yeah, but the troubly comes in when she's miserable as pillion on the back of the MTS. I rented a BMW (shh) in Phoenix for Turkey day and now she says "if you had a BMW, I'd be a lot more comfortable..."

If buying a beamer is what it takes to make her happy, then so be it... it'd be the least I could do. Farkling the Duc would be spendy, and I'm not sure it'd really solve all the problems (hard seat, no heat, and "riding in a hurricane").

So the question (thanks for your patience with the newbie):

Would the Multi ever truly be beamer comfortable for my wife?
Would an ST3s be truly comfortable (I do still drool over Ducs, ya know)?
Is there a beamer that'll even closely perform like the Multi does in ALL conditions (when she's not there, I still NEED to be able to really have fun)?

And yes, I realize the thrd question appears out of place on Ducati.ms, but if I ask it at a BMW site, I'll get the other kind of predictable answer.

And, and, yes, I am going to be test riding both Ducs (ST3s, ST4) and Beamers (K1200RS, R1200ST, R1200GS, R1200RT)...

THANK YOU!! :-D

·
Registered
14 Posts
i have had my st3 for a season now and love the fact that i can do 2 up touring or sporty riding solo. I upgraded the seat to a corbin with a backrest that is removal. i sat on the BMW's and i have friends that love them. they were a little big for me to feel confident. the ducati is nice and light. I moved up from a Aprillia Pegaso 650 (BMW F650) because i never took it off road and wanted more power.
good luck.
Brock

·
Registered
260 Posts
Bmw

Emerson said:
And, and, yes, I am going to be test riding both Ducs (ST3s, ST4) and Beamers (K1200RS, R1200ST, R1200GS, R1200RT)...

THANK YOU!! :-D
I have an 04 BMW KRS and an 05 Duc ST4s. The BMW is more comfortable for me and my SO on short or longer rides. Both bikes have plenty of power. The BMW has cruise, heated grips, and you can get a heated seat on the GT version. The last year for the KRS was 04. It has been replaced by the 05 KS. The S has more horses (167) than most anyone needs and it's fun to ride by anyone who says they have one. The new KGT is coming out in March or April. It's basically a more "touring" version of the "sporty" S bike.
Yes, most everyone on the BMW site www.k-bikes.com will tell you to get a BMW. You should register on the site and see what people say and then test ride an S bike.
You can also pick up a great 04 RS for a decent price.

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
My wife has/and enjoys riding on the back of the ST-3. I purchased a Corbin seat w/the back rest. My wife has told me that she enjoys the ride much more with the Corbin seat. The ST-3 provides a nice platform for a ride for two. I'll tell you that when I'm riding solo the ST-3 is more than sufficient for riding with anyone or any bike. Oh that Ducati sound.

·
Still needs a life.
12,619 Posts
My son (5'-8", 125 lb) rides two up with me on my ST4s frequently. A good pillion seat and a back rest are key. Let's face it, nothing beats a Goldwing for the ultimate passenger comfort.

·
Chilehead
6,985 Posts
I've got an ST2 and an SS1000. While the ST2 is more practical for touring because of the luggage, I and my passenger prefer the SS for two up touring, particularly on tight roads (which is what I normally ride).

Tom

·
Super Moderator
8,245 Posts
Will the Multi ever match the BMW K-series for pillon riders? Probably not.
The Multi is a rider machine with the possibilty to ake someone with you on shorter rides. Kinda like the Superbike BiP´s.

I´d try for a testride on a ST to see if that would be an option. Maybe even go for an ST4 or ST4s. Those bikes are still alot of fun on backroads, but have the added bonus that your SO can tag along during longer trips aswell. But even a ST will have problems compared to some of the larger BMW and Japanese touring bikes if your only looking for comfort.

Maybe buying another bike for your SO will let you keep the Multi? Just an idea..

·
Registered
403 Posts
My wife has ridden on the back of the ST4s for 8 hours at a time with breaks only for gas and the rest room. We both led normal lives at the B&B that we stayed at after the ride! The ST series is such a nice one, I can't understand why they don't sell better.

If you have a heart for Ducati then I would choose one of the ST's.

Dave Harhay

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
I had the same issue with my SO. She had ridden with me on my '96 SS but wasn't very comfortable. The solution? She and I split the cost of a '05 Triumph Sprint RS. Far superior to a BMW IMHO. I'm a former BMW guy for 16 yrs on '82 R100RS and I've ridden quite a few of the new ones. Given the choice, I will take a Triumph over a BMW for so many reasons.

bruce19

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
You didn't mention what year your MS is, the '04 seat felt like it was torn off of a park bench to me. A Corbin made a huge comfort improvement on my Paso. Check the Corbin or Sargent sites for how their seat is better than the standard, or post this in the MS section, I'll bet others have upgraded the MS seat.

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
Do yourself a favor and buy a Sargent. Corbins are heavier, not a lot more comfortable and dealing with the company is a PITA. Just my experience over 30 yrs. of riding.

bruce19

·
Registered
274 Posts
We have a 2000 ST4 and a 2004 MTS.(my ST; wife's MTS 1000) Corbin seat on the ST and a DP "GEL' on the MTS. Have over 34k on the ST and about 7k on the MTS. Wife has ridden all day on I-5 from Bay area to PDX on the back of the ST with little or no complaints. Rode back down the OR coast in the rain and no complaints ref: the ST(wx was something else.). Wife has ridden in the front and on the back of the MTS(she put 1500 on it this past summer on trip up coast). We do love both bikes and wouldn't trade them for any other make. Sooooooooooooo to put my pennies in, 1.. get a new seat for the MTS 2.. Buy an ST, the 4s,4. 3 or 2 in that order. 3..Have your bride, wife,or SO take a course and ride her own. 4.. Can't think of a fourth option.
Dolph E.

·
Registered
401 Posts
The only way is take the wife along and try one out.
My wife's dislikes:
1. did not like the "higher" riding position of the ST4-ST3
2. hard bags too small
3. foot positon too "tight"
4. seat too narrow and to hard

So I kept my Concours and bought the 900ssie for me to ride solo on.
Don't let her get near an LT or a Gold Wing though, you'll never get them off that pillion seat...

·
Registered
401 Posts
QuiChenKane said:
Option#4: Trade your wife in on a new model, one more limber and tractable.
For that cost we could all have a minimum of 10 Sport Tourers in the "stable" to choose from...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Uggghhh......yucky.......touring two up......one of my least favorite things to do. Do what I did.......tell the better half to get her M-class and get another ride for her. That's what I did;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts