Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Was out riding this weekend, and a riding buddy of mine shows up for our Memorial day trip through the hills of Southern Ohio with a sweet 1100S Multistrada. He works for a Ducati dealership, and its his current demo. Anyways, I was going to ride it, but never did. (Although I could if I were serious about buying at anytime). It looks VERY comfy, and also looks comfy for a passenger.

I want to know if you have had passengers on your Multi's and if so, how does it handle the weight?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I have carried a passenger only a few times, but had no complaints. just twist the knob and instant adjustment for the added weight. I'm 225 or so and once had a rather bigger than average lady want a ride. only problem was she didn't fit on the seat very well, but the bike handled it. probably better than I did.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I have had pillions with no problems. I even let my buddy and is gf ride the bike when they want to go somewhere together. It works just fine.

james

·
Banned
340 Posts
I have logged nearly 12,000 miles in under 4 months and the majority of those miles have been put on with my GF sitting right behind me and she rarely ever complain of the comfort even on our longer rides though we do have to stop around 200miles to get gas and let her take a break....

·
Registered
134 Posts
My 1000s works great for 2-up. I haven't done any long distance touring liek that but for day trips no problems so far. I bought a custom backrest that fits in place of the grab bar - now that made a big difference for my wife. The bar was through a guy on multistrada.net...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Once rolling, I can barely even notice I have a passenger. In fact, I can ride with just about the same level of agressiveness as w/o a passenger (although I don't to be safe).

No complaints from the wife either other than some leg stiffness. But that's mainly b/c she does not ride with me often and would likely happen with her on any bike as a passenger since she's fairly tall.

·
Registered
215 Posts
sti-51 said:
Once rolling, I can barely even notice I have a passenger. In fact, I can ride with just about the same level of agressiveness as w/o a passenger (although I don't to be safe).

No complaints from the wife either other than some leg stiffness. But that's mainly b/c she does not ride with me often and would likely happen with her on any bike as a passenger since she's fairly tall.
+1 for me too!

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Every mile om my Multi has been 2 up. I have side panniers and top case. The top case has a pad for the passenger. We absolutely love the bike.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I've ridden my 1000 S a fair amount 2-up. I quite like it. Much better at low speeds than the ST2 every was, and still great at higher speeds. Over 80mph or so the ST2 starts to be better.

Longest day I've done was a recent 700 mile day, with a bunch on backroads. I was on the road from 8am to 11pm, with very little in the way of stops (ok, a couple hours from the end I had a ferry wait and ride). I was ready to keep going even at the end of the day. It got VERY windy much of the day, but the bike still worked very well.

I do have some mods, Rizoma bars (way better than stock for me), ProGel grips, DP Max Protection screen of course heated stuff and other things that don't make much different in long comfort.

Great all around bike.

Mark

·
Registered
7 Posts
Most of my riding on my 1000S is 2-up and the bike does great. My wife is more comfortable on the MTS than she is on my ZRX1200 or my Road King. I do pop on a Hepco and Becker top case with a back pad for her, even though it's ugly (the top case, not my wife :D ).

·
Registered
103 Posts
I just did 3,000 miles and 2 weeks in Spain, with my Multi and girlfriend. I have a 2004 1000ds. Also have Ducati Performance panniers and top box The bike handled everything just fine.

Me on the other hand.......... I found the seat pretty hard. The pillion though had no such problems really. We also put a sheepskin on each seat for that little bit of added comfort.

I also found that over 80mph for any length of time on the motorways the Multi was hard work. I think I just need a taller screen to deflect the wind.

Multis for two up riding are a good bike. Wind up the remote pre-load and away you go.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wow, I surprised by the responses. I really don't like the way my Multi feels with a passenger on back I get pushed into the tank and end up really far forward. Not comfortable for me and it causes the bike to handle very poorly IMHO.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Two on the MTS is almost brainless. I suppose I mentally adjust my riding to be smooth on acceleration, shifting and braking. I never get pushed up against the tank or affected unless I deviate from being a smooth operator. The only thing that I absolutely notice is that I get wind buffeting on my helmet that's not there solo. It's better with the Laminar Lip but not gone entirely. I am certain that it's a phenomenon attributed to my physical attitude and that of my passenger(s) - I can moderate it by ducking lower or sitting taller.

I dial in about 3-4mm of preload for my 100 lb payload and it's smooth sailing. My wish would be for a good backrest that's not ridiculously priced.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts