Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have just removed 2 springs off the pressure plate of my 1098 to light the clutch pull,, i have been told that this is ok unless the clutch slipping,,
how to check slippage?

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
i have just removed 2 springs off the pressure plate of my 1098 to light the clutch pull,, i have been told that this is ok unless the clutch slipping,,
how to check slippage?
Go out on an open road, track, etc.. Shift the bike in an excessively tall gear like 5th or 6th while lugging the engine at a relatively low speed. Give a good whack at the throttle; if the RPM's climb without a corresponding amount of forward motion, the clutch is slipping.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I've done it and reverted back to full set of springs.

Why? started acting up...I suggest you put them back.

I had removed 2 springs on my previous 749 and was ok, but the 1098 has a much lighter pull to begin with.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i will try both methods,, if it didn't slip,, any other downside to removing those?

·
Registered
923 Posts
why not buy a better slave....

·
Registered
120 Posts
I can't believe you are whining about a heavy clutch pull. Put your purse down and stop watching Oprah. When you are stopped you should be in neutral and when you are shifting you have the choice of not even using the clutch. It's mere moments in time. Steal a tennis ball from the dog and start squeezing it while you watching Dr. Phil and you won't have to take out clutch springs or buy aftermarket slave cylinders.

·
Duc ... Duc ... GOOSE!
1,928 Posts
I can't believe you are whining about a heavy clutch pull. Put your purse down and stop watching Oprah. When you are stopped you should be in neutral and when you are shifting you have the choice of not even using the clutch. It's mere moments in time. Steal a tennis ball from the dog and start squeezing it while you watching Dr. Phil and you won't have to take out clutch springs or buy aftermarket slave cylinders.
:D

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
Obviously some of these guys probably ride more in traffic using the clutch then you do. I have very good wrist muscles (I'm a drummer) and a 1098 has a VERY heavy pull. I rarely use the clutch for up shifts OR down shifts, yet my hand can still get fatigued on my 848, which has a MUCH lighter pull then a 1098, when on LONG traffic-ridden commutes for 50 miles or so, DAM that hurts!

Also, when you're at a stop sign or stopped in traffic amongst cars, you leave the bike in gear so if the idiot coming from behind doesn't see you stopped, you can jump out of the way. How many times has that happened to me? None that I can remember because I always scoot to the front of the line of traffic and do all sorts of illegal moves to stay away from traffic. But if you don't ride like a jackass, you can get into trouble.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i always ride in traffic and never shift without the clutch because it is there for a reason,, in many occasions, i pull the clutch and let the bike roll neutrally at very low speeds,,
however, thanks for the input,,

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
+1 on the oberon clutch slave makes it feel much nicer..

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
4 springs work fine on my 916, never even had a hint of slip but I have a sintered clutch pack, stronger (slightly) than stock stainless steel springs and a bike with significantly less torque than a 1098.

I also have an evo clutch slave so my clutch pull is really soft because despite my 'macho' online persona I am a bit of a 'little girl'... ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts