Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Confirmed Addict
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently in the process of selling two bikes (a Brutale and a Hyper). The latter was transformed by me into a Multi clone over the years (LED lights, enlarged cycleworks tank and luggage). I have now come to understand that I need to own my first Multi. I had a deposit on a 2018, but the redesigned menus, a little extra torque, and some cosmetics are not worth an extra 13K (the diff between a used 2016 and a new 2018). I also like the flickability of the earlier bike, which the rake and increased wheelbase is supposed to diminish. So I gave up my place in line.

As I finalize the sale and purchase side, two questions emerge:

1. What are the "slimmest" panniers on a Multi? I will mostly ride around with the top case in the urban setting, but which panniers are thinner when splitting lanes? The base touring ones from Ducati, the Enduro version aluminum ones, or the aftermarket ones from Trax and others? I cannot find "installed width" dimensions. And has anyone installed a top case with a hookup for the stop light? I think Givi makes one. I have perused existing threads, but could not find the answer to my width question. I normally put an extra stop light on my license plate frame. Too many muppets texting out there.

2. Ducati Skyhook. I want the looks of the Pikes Peak and the features of the Touring version. I do not mind buying heated grips and center stand later, but will I miss Skyhook? I am buying the Multi for safety first, maybe comfort second (The performance is a given priority). I still have wheelie, stability, and ABS systems on a 2016 Pikes Peak, and I have seen the training youtube video on the skyhook system, but who has ridden both and can describe the difference? All I am missing is a softer ride on uneven terrain and during squat and acceleration, since the shock damping will be adjusted in real time?

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
I've not measured them... but IMO the Enduro panniers are quite a bit wider than the Touring panniers (which aren't "slim" but aren't too wide).

I've never actually seen a DVT multi with aftermarket panniers... didn't know they were even available. Looking at the Trax images I can see why... IMO they might get a few sales from the hardcore adv crowed, but any option that's going to sell will need to use the stock mount points not that damned ugly scaffolding that pollutes all the other ADV bike designs. Again I don't know for sure but looking at the Trax mounting and bags I'd say that AT BEST they're close to the width as the touring bags... though 90% chance they're a lot wider.

As for Skyhook... if you don't change setup on your bike frequently and are OK with a 'fixed' setup (or with manually adjusting things) then the Ohlins is the better performance wise. I'd not get it myself because the flexibility of switching to sport 1up riding to touring 2up+luggage riding with a couple button presses is well worth the minor drop in performance.

If I was younger and more sport focused however I'd have the PP and live with the inconvenience. At this point in my life I'm still thinking "Yea I WOULD like the performance of Ohlins"... but instead of concluding "I'll buy a bike with that and have less touring convenience" my solution is "I'll buy a super naked too" (though with 3 in College it might not happen tomorrow) :)

Attachments

Reactions: v12gte

·
Registered
417 Posts
I've not measured them... but IMO the Enduro panniers are quite a bit wider than the Touring panniers (which aren't "slim" but aren't too wide).

I've never actually seen a DVT multi with aftermarket panniers... didn't know they were even available. Looking at the Trax images I can see why... IMO they might get a few sales from the hardcore adv crowed, but any option that's going to sell will need to use the stock mount points not that damned ugly scaffolding that pollutes all the other ADV bike designs. Again I don't know for sure but looking at the Trax mounting and bags I'd say that AT BEST they're close to the width as the touring bags... though 90% chance they're a lot wider.
At least its just an opinion Dave.

:wink2:

I have SW-Motech ADV on my 2014 replacing the standard stock panniers, the "scaffolding" is very sturdy, the boxes actually stand up on their own off the bike, you can sit on them, they are equal sized (if you choose that option) and I gained more space in the panniers and can strap more to the tops. More importantly for me, my stuff doesn't get wet in the rain or fall out all over the ground when I open the pannier for a bottle of water at a stop.

I have not measured, but I think it comes out about the same width as stock for the 37L size, and obviously wider for the 45L but perhaps no more than the GT 73L size.

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
At least its just an opinion Dave.

:wink2:

I have SW-Motech ADV on my 2014 replacing the standard stock panniers, the "scaffolding" is very sturdy, the boxes actually stand up on their own off the bike, you can sit on them, they are equal sized (if you choose that option) and I gained more space in the panniers and can strap more to the tops. More importantly for me, my stuff doesn't get wet in the rain or fall out all over the ground when I open the pannier for a bottle of water at a stop.

I have not measured, but I think it comes out about the same width as stock for the 37L size, and obviously wider for the 45L but perhaps no more than the GT 73L size.
Yea... I know the ADV crowd actually like how they look... and they also tend to like the top loaders. My brother has something very similar to the SW-Motech parts on his STen and I rag on him about them all the time... but he likes them so tells me to enjoy my 'plastic bags'. I think the non-Enduro Multi isn't really in the traditional ADV crowd sweet spot so that's probably why we don't see them more.

As for the clamshell... I see it as a tradeoff between the top loaders lumber yard (Thing wanted always buried) and the clamshell jumpers. I prefer the clamshell because when they're open they're OPEN and I always have gear in the panniers inside of other containment. It's a bit of 'six of one, half dozen of the other' .

My cousin (13 multi) didn't like the clamshell so he bought inserts for his panniers... that keeps everything contained.

I've not had a water in my panniers problem... did get it in my top case when it was overloaded.

·
Confirmed Addict
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you, gents.

I forgot about the scaffolding, duh. I would ride only with the top case 80% of the time, so having the extra metal there could be distracting. I do have an issue with the design of the stock touring panniers, where everything spills out and has to be repacked when I try to get that bottle of water. I think the width differences would be marginal, with an edge given to the factory setup.

I have since located 2 other threads on the Skyhook versus PP Ohlins (wrong keyword will get you every time), and having crossed the half century mark this year....I am probably in the Skyhook camp, where safety and comfort rule. I did one Keith Code class, and while it was exciting....I get more pleasure our of sniffing the mountain scenery than testing extreme lean angles these days.

Much obliged again. I will post up when I decide and get something after my business trip. I rented a 2015 Multi from eagle rider during the summer and loved it. I will try to find a 2018 to test ride to see if it lost the "flickability" that people are talking about. The longer wheelbase and rake are apparently causing it to be more stable, but less willing to turn. If it does suck, I will try to find a low mileage 2016-2017 Touring S in red or white. And then put Pikes Peak stickers on the red one and add a Termi.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Thank you, gents.

I forgot about the scaffolding, duh. I would ride only with the top case 80% of the time, so having the extra metal there could be distracting. I do have an issue with the design of the stock touring panniers, where everything spills out and has to be repacked when I try to get that bottle of water. I think the width differences would be marginal, with an edge given to the factory setup.
Scaffolding comes off with a quarter (or screwdriver) at 3 mount points each side, so its a non-issue when you're not on tour otherwise, yes, I'd have hesitated.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I am currently in the process of selling two bikes (a Brutale and a Hyper). The latter was transformed by me into a Multi clone over the years (LED lights, enlarged cycleworks tank and luggage). I have now come to understand that I need to own my first Multi. I had a deposit on a 2018, but the redesigned menus, a little extra torque, and some cosmetics are not worth an extra 13K (the diff between a used 2016 and a new 2018). I also like the flickability of the earlier bike, which the rake and increased wheelbase is supposed to diminish. So I gave up my place in line.

As I finalize the sale and purchase side, two questions emerge:

1. What are the "slimmest" panniers on a Multi? I will mostly ride around with the top case in the urban setting, but which panniers are thinner when splitting lanes? The base touring ones from Ducati, the Enduro version aluminum ones, or the aftermarket ones from Trax and others? I cannot find "installed width" dimensions. And has anyone installed a top case with a hookup for the stop light? I think Givi makes one. I have perused existing threads, but could not find the answer to my width question. I normally put an extra stop light on my license plate frame. Too many muppets texting out there.

2. Ducati Skyhook. I want the looks of the Pikes Peak and the features of the Touring version. I do not mind buying heated grips and center stand later, but will I miss Skyhook? I am buying the Multi for safety first, maybe comfort second (The performance is a given priority). I still have wheelie, stability, and ABS systems on a 2016 Pikes Peak, and I have seen the training youtube video on the skyhook system, but who has ridden both and can describe the difference? All I am missing is a softer ride on uneven terrain and during squat and acceleration, since the shock damping will be adjusted in real time?

Thanks in advance.
As to the width question, you can see my panniers (37 liter size) are in quite a bit tighter than the photo of the trax panniers posted above. Much depends on which rack system you choose for your pannier mounts. My choice was the Givi PLR7406CAM rack. The 37 liter side cases are each 9.6 inches wide while the 48 liter cases are each 12 inches wide.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
The stock panniers are slightly less wide than the handlebars so I’m not sure what your concerns are for lane splitting. Plus, they sit so low you really couldn’t catch a mirror with them which is what is reaching out to grab you when lane splitting. That said, I use a Givi top case for 99% of my riding.

I’m pretty happy with the skyhook suspension on my 2014 Multi. I typically leave it in touring mode but changed the throttle mapping to the sport setting. Sport setting is noticeably stiffer than touring mode.

If you get the Termignoni exhaust make sure you get the full system. The slip on does nothing and is for looks only. I went with the Arrow exhaust on my bike and am very happy with it. Single carbon can with great sound with or without the baffle. Fueling is top notch and it is quite a bit less expensive than the Termi exhaust.

·
Premium Member
12,388 Posts
Have a look at the Harley Davidson "panniers".... Tall, skinnyish, and cann hold lotsa beer cans,
Maybe go to Counts Customs and they can fab up sumptin for Yah...

Jk OK.
Panniers are so fugly but functional, put ur water in the top case, Packing correctly will be of some help.
Cases and panniers are like garages NEVER big enuff....
Think about mishaps...
a gentle minor tip over with stock panniers will cost you $$$
if not the actual panniers, the mounting points on the bike are not very strong think of the hand guards they are designed to break if you hit a June Bug...

With strength up goes the ugly factor...
But you can't see them when riding...

Termis is a all in one package... go big ($$$) or stay home.

Do what ever you like, but make sure you can change it back ifin you don't like the results. Then sell the mistake in the classifieds...

there is not likely a perfect set up for everything , so learn to live with the shortcomings.

·
Confirmed Addict
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks again. I ended up with the stock panniers. One of them fails to lock, but the dealer should be able to rectify this under warranty. The handlebars are indeed the widest part of the bike, now that I have navigated some holiday traffic.

I think I will wait on the exhaust after I get the 600 mile service done. My local independent says that akrapovic is the best value, so I am currently deep in YouTube sound comparison videos.

Loving the Multi, what a machine!!!!

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Akro all the way.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts