Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question #1 What manaul do you use?
I took a few folks advice and bought the workshop manual but it mostly seems to deal with tearing the engine down... I am looking for something that will show me proper ways to pull out the front, maybe replace fork seals, change brake pads, adjust chain etc.

I know some of this is basic stuff and I can find some tutorials on youtube but I was hoping the workshop manual would have more in it than it does. Are there other manuals that have more out there? I saw one for download but it $20 and I wasn't sure what else it would have that the workshop manual didn't.

Question #2 How difficult/easy is it to pull the front fork tubes? I need to bring them in to have the seals replaced. It's so much cheaper (obviously) to bring the tubes in vs. having a shop pull them for you. And should I stick to the oem recomended fork oil weight (I weigh about 185 in full gear) or have people been playing with oil weights in the Showa's?

OK, so maybe more questions than 2... :)

Thanks,
Toran

·
Registered
273 Posts
Hi, service manuals can be found on several websites... "free" Ducati workshop manuals for download, free!

but I would suggest that most if not all of the routine maintenance you will find yourself doing have been done and documented on this site. Sometimes it takes a bit of searching to find something specific, but this forum and the gurus on here are very informative and quick to offer help if you get stuck.

I'm no expert, but your weight seems about rite for the stock fork oil setup.

·
Registered
388 Posts
you want the actual ducati workshop manual.

usually everything can be found in this forum or other ducati forums and youtube. fallow the manual, it should make things easy for you to remove.

·
Registered
128 Posts
It's pretty easy to pull the forks. You need a Front Stand to get started. Also, do the technician a favor and loosen the Cap Nuts before you drop the Forks. An easy way to make sure the Forks are replaced at the same Tube height is to wrap some type of tape around the tube at the bottom of the Triple Clamps to mark tube height. This allows you to push the tube back into the clamp to the exact spot you started from. I'm sure there other tools you can use to measure this distance, but this is a no brainer.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Haynes manual covers just about everything... The 998 isn't in my book but I'm sure there's a new one out there somewhere.

The actual Ducati service manual isn't as good as the Haynes IMO. At least for my bike.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone, I do have the Duc workshop manual, will look at it again but didn't see what I was looking for. I also have a front stand but it's the kind that fits into the bottom of the front forks (not the kind that holds from the triples or whatever that type holds onto). I'm assuming I'll need to hang the front of the bike (using a ratcheting rope attached to the front of the frame?). I know I'll have to get the front of the bike off the ground to remove the fork tubes, how do others do it? I would assume a front stand would still not give you enough clearance to pull the tubes would it? Thanks everyone (and good heads up Spud about loosening the cap nuts... I didn't think of that...)
Toran

·
Registered
794 Posts
You can suspend the bike but I use the type of front stand that lifts the bike from under the lower triple clamp. You might want to look and see if there is a hole in the center of the lower triple where the stand's locating pin would engage- some Ducatis don't have a hole and require a special lifting arm ( my bike had no hole until I replaced the triples ). The stands are fairly expensive - but if you remove the forks and replace the fork oil once a season it tends to pay off if you learn to do the service yourself. I use the Haynes manual which describes the fork service very clearly. You need to buy or make some special tools to service the forks (the manual actually shows you how to make your own); takes a little finess but fairly easy.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
The haynes manual (mine is for 996) is great, I don't know if they did one for the 998 but alot of the components are the same. Highly recommend it.

Here's the haynes manual, they didn't do one for the 998 but think most of the differences are with the engine

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Ducati-4-valve-V-twins-Haynes-Service/dp/185960756X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1340489290&sr=1-1&keywords=haynes+manual+for+ducati[/ame]

For your forks, as someone mentioned above, a front stand that lifts from the bottom triple clamp is ideal. I believe the 998, like the 996 if memory serves doesn't have the pin hole in the bottom triple so you need one with hooks like this.

Pit Bull Motorcycle Stands & Accessories: Ducati Forklift Converter

cheaper stands than pitbull but none beat the quality and US made.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Surprised no one has suggested LT's manual yet. I have both the 2V and the 4V versions and its usually a very good guide with pictures. Desmotimes.com.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Gosh I can' believe I forgot that one! I even took his seminar in April this year!!

Surprised no one has suggested LT's manual yet. I have both the 2V and the 4V versions and its usually a very good guide with pictures. Desmotimes.com.

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
Okay, I'll chime in since I just did mine. I bought a Haynes book off fleabay. Very good book that shows just about everything you want to know including some Ducati history. The forks are a cake walk to remove. I suspended the front from my garage rafters with rachet straps that I went to the frame with. I also had the rear stand on so it was very stable. Fender off, wheel and brakes, which you can leave hang and tie back with zip ties or the like. The forks are then taken out which are held by pinch bolts in the triple clamps. Clip ons will need loosened too and also get tied back/up. Forks to dealer and back on, bam, you be ridin. Yes, loosen top before removing. Yes, you can do them yourself however, tools need bought or made. For me it's always been easier to have someone else do them. AF1 just did my Ape forks and a local guy did the ducks. You dont weigh enough to warrant new springs but new valving to suit, up to you. Best of luck.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone... great suggestions, will look into Haynes and LT's manual... anyone got a link to LT's manual?

Wiley,
Thanks for the quick and dirty explanation, sounds like that will be my route (hang the front from the rafters with the rear in a stand). What did you get charged for having the forks done (just curious how prices compare).
Toran

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
AF1 did new springs and seals, fluid of course.............290.
Maximum Cycle did seals and fluid.............130

Keep in mind the springs did cost me and they did a full rebuild. The local guy is just getting started so he is very competetive on pricing. He was a tuner for a dirtbike team so he knows his stuff and is generally an all round good guy.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
AF1??!! What were you down in Texas for? (Do they have a shop anywhere else?). 130 sounds like a good deal. Local Ape shop will do them for 75 apiece plus fluid if I bring them in. Not bad but was hoping it'd be a bit cheaper if I brought them in myself.
Toran

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
I have the Haynes Manual and also LT's manual - they came with my Duc courtesy of the PO.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Is it possible to get a hard copy parts book for a 998? Tried a search on this forum and Google but came up empty on both. Printable download site would also work for me. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
go to ducati's site:

Ducati

pick the year, it lists the 2002 998, you can get parts manual or owners manual in .pdf format for free. Just follow the steps on the right side of the page to get the manual, language you need.

Chris

Is it possible to get a hard copy parts book for a 998? Tried a search on this forum and Google but came up empty on both. Printable download site would also work for me. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
Toran, I sent the forks via UPS. Wasnt bad at all, like 15 bucks. I can send you my Haynes and Ian Falloon books if you send them back. Not sure if that helps but maybe you could make copies? Let me know.

·
Registered
159 Posts
go to ducati's site:

Ducati

pick the year, it lists the 2002 998, you can get parts manual or owners manual in .pdf format for free. Just follow the steps on the right side of the page to get the manual, language you need.

Chris
Thanks very much! Worked like a charm.

Tom

1 - 20 of 23 Posts