Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That's how long my bike has been in the shop over the last 12 months, and how many miles I've not been able to ride.

My 2017 MTS is due back to me on July 1. This is the 2nd time that it's had a coolant leak on the rear cylinder head. The first leak was last year at 3000 miles and it took a month to repair while waiting on parts from Italy. The second leak happened at 11,000 miles and again I'm waiting on parts from Italy. I purchased the bike July 1, 2019 with 150 miles on it. So, for anyone doing the math it's been in the shop for 2 of the 12 months I've owned it, 18.5% of the time.

Last year I was not able to do a trip from Phoenix to Northern California because the bike was at the dealer. This year I've skipped a trip to Colorado and Kansas, and another trip due to start on July 2 that would take me to Montana. While I'll get the bike back on the 1st, I'm not going to have the first test and first full heat cycle occur when I wake up on Durango, Colorado on a 45 degree morning to see if the repair worked or failed. That July 2 trip will have to occur with my pickup.

Last time they replaced o-rings and gaskets and could not find an exact point of failure. This time they are replacing o-rings and gaskets. They haven't torn down the engine to be sure that's 100% the fix. I want them to replace the head studs but they declined saying it was not necessary. At least both repairs are covered by extended warranty; got my money out of this warranty as each repair is $1300.

So, this is frustrating to say the least. I'm not comfortable taking the bike on any trips until I ride it a few hundred miles with some full heat soaks and cooling cycles. And I have no idea what's causing this issue.

If I'm still unemployed once I get back from this trip in my Chevy then maybe I'll recreate the trip
2020-05-31 09.47.31.jpg
2020-05-31 11.33.19.jpg
on the bike. Got plenty of spare time (thanks Covid furloughs/terminations!)

Rant over.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Does the lemon law applies to bikes? And in your state?
Honestly I think you should try to return the bike and get a new one, this seems to be clearly a lemon and you’re not enjoying an item bought most likely for pure enjoyment purposes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts