Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having knee surgery at the end of the month(not bike related thank God) and will be off my 998 for approximately 2 solid months :mad: . Is there anything I need to do to keep the bike "fresh" while it is sitting? My 12,000 mile service will be done almost immediately after the layoff? Thanks for the info all!

·
Registered
396 Posts
Given that you will be doing a service after the layoff there is probably not a whole lot that you need to do.

But you should:

1. Disconnect and remove the battery. Put it on a trickle charger if you can to preserve it.

2. Put the bike on its centre using a paddock stand.

3. Add a bit of fuel stabilizer to the tank.

4. Deflate the tyres by a few PSI.

5. Turn all electrics off (kill switch, etc).

6. Put a cover over it and tuck it in.

7. Read it a good night story. :sleep:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Is it a problem to leave the battery in place since it's connected to a battery tender? also, I know nothing about fuel stabalizers. Which won and where do I get it? Do I need to drain the fuel before restarting it, or can it run with the fuel stabalizer in it?

·
Registered
396 Posts
You can leave the battery in the bike if you wish. I am afraid I can't help you with regard to a brand of fuel stabilizer (I don't know what you have in the US). However, a good auto or motorcycle shop should stock a range of different types. Just read the labels and see which suits best. Once you have added the stabilizer you should be able to leave it in there until you next start the bike.

Hope this helps :D

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Two months? I wouldn't worry about it. My 748 has sat for that long without any problems, but I did have the battery on a Battery Tender. My 748 once sat from Oct of 2004 until May of 2005 (seven months) without having anything done to it, other than the battery was scavenged and put in my ST2. A new battery, even with the old gas, and it fired and ran great after the second hit of the starter button. Personally, I wouldn't worry about only a two month period.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Yeah, two months is nothing... I stored mine for basically a couple years (only ran it very occasionally) and after a couple minor tweaks here and there it was running enough to ride. Then I replaced _everything_ in and on it and it feels almost new again.

·
Super Moderator
8,212 Posts
2 months is nothing.

Either disconnect or put the battery on a tender. Cover the bike with something.. an old sheet or something.

I´ve had a bike sit for 5 months without fuelstabilizer and it still ran great. Just put premium gas in and you´ll be fine.

//amullo

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks alot for the help guys. I'm pretty picky about my bike and want it to be perfect all the time! :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts