Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a 2002 ST4S. Refitting wheels after getting new tires.

1) Service manual says to tighten the fork clamp bolts in the sequence 1-2-1. That would be useful if they actually labelled both in the photo. :rolleyes: What is the correct order?

2) Same manual says to grease the threads on the rear axle. That's wonderful, but -- call me crazy -- wouldn't I want to grease the entire axle? It's what I'm used to from other bikes.

Thanks,
Aram

·
Super Moderator
5,512 Posts
I'm assuming you mean the front axle pinch bolts...torque one, then the other, then go back to the first as it will likely loosen a bit as the air gap is closed. You can lightly grease the rear axle to help prevent corrosion. The torque spec for the rear axle bolt is with grease which is different than if it was torqued dry.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm assuming you mean the front axle pinch bolts...torque one, then the other, then go back to the first as it will likely loosen a bit as the air gap is closed. You can lightly grease the rear axle to help prevent corrosion. The torque spec for the rear axle bolt is with grease which is different than if it was torqued dry.
Thank you.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
And go easy on the front pinch bolts. Over torq ing them will "ovalize" the hollow axle. Ask me how I know...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And go easy on the front pinch bolts. Over torq ing them will "ovalize" the hollow axle. Ask me how I know...
I bet. (That sucks, by the way). I use a torque wrench for almost all fasteners, excluding the ones for bodywork.

Best,
Aram

·
Registered
2 Posts
2004 ST4S/ABS wheel bearings...

Hi all,

I have a question. Not sure if this is the right place, I've searched the forum and can't find anything that addresses' my specific question, so I'm assuming it's common knowledge, or that I'm missing something. I'm replacing wheel bearings (along with lots of other non-durable parts) on a 2004 ST4S/ABS barn find, that has 28k miles on it and had been sitting unattended for what appears to be quite some time. It was very dirty, but remarkably straight under the dust. After removing about 25 lbs of aftermarket electronics, that were added....creatively?... I have the machine back to [nearly] stock configuration. Now I'm replacing chains, brake pads, tires, coolant hoses, etc. So, to my question: I ordered bearing kits for the front and rear wheels and the headstock from All Balls racing, as they seem to be an industry leader at the moment. The kit for the front wheel included two appropriate sized, sealed bearing and two rubber dust seals. On the right (facing forward, looking down) side there doesn't seem to be any space for a rubber dust seal, the bearing pressed in flush with the face of the wheel. On the left, there appears to be a void where a speedometer drive fit on earlier models, but there is none on this model (I believe earlier ST4S had a mech drive speedo off the front wheel?). That leaves a larger open void that was filled with road grime and dirt. Can anybody tell me if there is supposed to be a replacement seal, or plastic filler or something to fill that gap? Or is intentionally left open like that (unlikely). I just want to put it back right. Any advice or experience is very welcome here. Thanks in advance.

V/R
Burt

1 - 7 of 7 Posts