Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Done this type of trip on the Buell Ulysses I owned previously. That thing is/was a tank. Belt drive, zero maintenance, etc. At the time I also had a an MV Brutale and wouldn't have DREAMED of taking that thing. It was cramped, twitchy and got so much vibration thru the handlebars that I would have needed nerve transplants (hands) when I was done.

This time I'm taking the streetfighter. Just curious...I spoke to the good people at Nichols Sport Bike Service (Mike) here in the Bay Area and since I'm not really due for a valve adjustment, he recommended i do it when I get back. (nice to have someone that honest that isn't just looking to make money) He did recommended I adjust the chain before I go though. He mentioned a horror story of a guy that did a similar trip and his very-much-non-adjusted-chain caused all sorts of mechanical problems. Check that!!

I'll do an oil change before i go, but other than the obvious oiling of the chain along the way, what would you look out for (mechanically?)? And yes I know to look out for cops ;-)

The trip btw is from the Bay Area to Victoria Canada, along HWY-1 to Cannon Beach, OR.....then to Seattle, Victoria then back down thru Bend, OR....down to Lake Tahoe and back home. Trip is +/- 2,500 miles, but with other driving around towns should be closer to 3,000 miles

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app

·
Registered
442 Posts
Victoria has some beautiful roads man... You'll love it. I'm sure your guys' roads in the bay are are nice as well. I would recommend taking a small tire repair kit with you, with a small pump or a air cartrige. You never know if you get stuck out somewhere with a flat, might save ya a few bucks. I just be the plugs, and have a knife with ya along with some sort of small multi tool.

Other than that lots of water... I did a similar trip last year, was about 2000 miles. Bike never missed a beat!

Enjoy

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like you need this:
I'll have to take a look. I'm sure that has a lot of good info.

Victoria has some beautiful roads man... You'll love it. I'm sure your guys' roads in the bay are are nice as well. I would recommend taking a small tire repair kit with you, with a small pump or a air cartrige. You never know if you get stuck out somewhere with a flat, might save ya a few bucks. I just be the plugs, and have a knife with ya along with some sort of small multi tool.

Other than that lots of water... I did a similar trip last year, was about 2000 miles. Bike never missed a beat!

Enjoy
The trip altogether will be 14 days, 2 nights of which will be in Victoria. We were there once before and it's a great place. We'll venture out a bit to see the surrounding areas, which from what I see on google street-view, looks NICE!!!

I'm with you on the tire repair kit. I have this setup from previous trips. On the left of the smaller one you'll see the small plastic bag which has the tire plugs ;). I don't think people realize how easy it is to plug a tire. Beats the hell out of waiting for a tow!!!

Just outa curiosity? How do you plan do pack all the necessities you need on your SF?
I have a wolfman tank-bag that I used last time to carry my camera gear and a few other misc items (see my setup here)

This time I'm going with this:

Not mine, but here's a picture of someone on the MV Agusta Forum that has it....

These tank-bags have a gas-cap-ring that the bag attaches to, so now fussing with straps (here's a youtube video on the install and attachment). Great because you don't have to worry about straps scratching the paint!! These bags also have the option of running power to the bag.

I also use a Kriega US-20 backpack and will use a tail-bag as well. First trip we ever did we both overpacked a bit. Riding gear is pretty much the same every day so really only need some clothes for night time at dinner. So...jeans, a few casual button shirts, etc. That and a pair oh khakis and some shorts and t-shirts. These eagle creek expandable/compressible packing cubes are essential. You wouldn't believe how much S#iT you can fit in there.

Along the way some of the hotels have laundry rooms, so throwing a few t-shirts and underwear to wash isn't a big deal.

The wife is on her own bike, with the same backpack and a DP Tailbag that hold a good bit of stuff. Assuming all is well when I get my tank-bag later this week, I'll get her one of those as well

Better be a fast van! Have a great trip. Post the pics or vids.
I wish!! That would be like riding with a SHERPA!!!

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just outa curiosity? How do you plan do pack all the necessities you need on your SF?
As a follow up to this, I posted this in another thread here:

Having had the luggage locker bag before, I think I'd be able to get just as much in there, if not MORE than my current setup. I won't have to fiddle with any straps AND access to the inside of the bags will be a hundred times easier.

Using my current setup, we went away this past weekend. As you can see in the pictures of the bikes below, this setup consists of my wolf-man tank bag, a kriega US-20 as a tail bag (with all clothes packed in an expandable/compressible eagle-creek packing cube) and a Kriega US-20 backpack (like the one the wife has on her back).

The tank-bag serves as a camera bag and contains:
- Digital SLR camera and a not-so-small (way-too-big) lens
- Extra lens
- a small pouch with all my charger cables, lens pen, etc
- wallet, sunglasses and rain cover.

Kriega US-20 Tailbag contains: (Believe it or not, all of the following gets compressed into that eagle creek packing cube. I still could have fit more in the tail-bag itself):
- 2 pants (jeans and hiking pants)
- 2 dress shirts
- Fleece pullover sweater
- Cotton gym shorts
- underwear
- socks
- belt
- 4 t-shirts (2 white, 2 black)
- 2 long-sleeved t-shirts
-
The backpack holds (all the following with room to spare):
- pair of shoes (merrell hiking shoes, double duty for day/night...even with dress shirts)
- jacket (in black compressed pouch in middle between shoes)
- tool roll (some tools and a tire repair/plug kit)
- Small ratchet/socket kit (pictured below)
- cable lock to lock the 2 bikes to each other at night (in small black Buell pouch)
- Towel and small spray bottle with auto quick detailer to clean visor.
- iPad

Tank bag:

w/smaller lens:

Backpack

Small tool kit:

Everything that is packed into Eagle creek packing cube:

Jacket taken out of it's compression sack (visible in back-pack picture)

·
Registered
442 Posts
Great way to pack!!!... I just hate having anything on my back so I stay away from it. Forgot to mention, I also keep a small fuel submersible hose in case my the fuel lie pops off the pump in the tank if I'm in the middle of no where with 2 clamps. Bought the hose at napa when I was doing a small project for my ktm. I've been wanting to pull the fuel pump out of the tank and replace the crappy plastic hose with the one I bought, but have been lazy lol

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great way to pack!!!... I just hate having anything on my back so I stay away from it. Forgot to mention, I also keep a small fuel submersible hose in case my the fuel lie pops off the pump in the tank if I'm in the middle of no where with 2 clamps. Bought the hose at napa when I was doing a small project for my ktm. I've been wanting to pull the fuel pump out of the tank and replace the crappy plastic hose with the one I bought, but have been lazy lol
The backpack has never really bothered me. Especially the Kriega bags. They're very comfortable. If you pack like my wife does maybe not. But for me it works. Also, coming from Miami I've found that the bag against my back keeps me warmer here in northern-ish California.
If you don't carry the camera gear like I do, you'd be able to put everything I have in the backpack, in the tank bag instead.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
Looks Great !!! Gods -Speed !!

·
Premium Member
2,097 Posts
Hi GP1152.
I know it's not what you asked for, so dont feel obligated to reply, but for your trip have you considered Rizoma's higher bars, the MA008's. They're about an inch or so higher and have a more comfortable wrist bend. They really are more comfortable, and don't hurt preformance too much. I've got a set for any touring I do. They make such a difference.

If you can't do it yourself, it will cost an hour or two of shop time to get them put on the first time because to drill the holes in the bars for all the controls you need to know what you are doing, but after that you can do the swaps yourself.

All my regular rides are around 100 miles so the lower bars a great for that. Ive even got a set of Rizoma's lowest bars to put on soon, can't wait :):)

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi GP1152.
I know it's not what you asked for, so dont feel obligated to reply, but for your trip have you considered Rizoma's higher bars, the MA008's. They're about an inch or so higher and have a more comfortable wrist bend. They really are more comfortable, and don't hurt preformance too much. I've got a set for any touring I do. They make such a difference.

If you can't do it yourself, it will cost an hour or two of shop time to get them put on the first time because to drill the holes in the bars for all the controls you need to know what you are doing, but after that you can do the swaps yourself.

All my regular rides are around 100 miles so the lower bars a great for that. Ive even got a set of Rizoma's lowest bars to put on soon, can't wait :):)
Proheli, Appreciate the feedback. Sounds like a great idea and I can definitely see the value in that for someone who has comfort issues. Not sure I would go through the trouble as it really isn't an issue for me. The SF so far has proven to be surprisingly comfortable on longer rides. Worst case....the faster you go, the less pressure on your wrists ;-)

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app

1 - 13 of 13 Posts