Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im gonna build an exhaust for my bike and im wondering what is best and what the diffrences are.

2-1 Lacks out on the top.
2-1-2 Good top

Thats what i heard in general.

How important is it that the headers meet and share there pulses?

2-1 is lighter and easier to build, that is a bonus but if the 2-1-2 exhaust is better performing that is more important.

Can you bulid an good 2-1 exhaust that flows aswell as an 2-1-2 exhaust if you get the collektor etc right?

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
The oem Ducati exhaust behaves like a 2 into 1 exhaust, with a broad and flat torque curve. So, it doesn't matter if you put two or one muffler on it. If the two header pipes are joined at any point you have a 2 into 1 system. Having two mufflers just adds weight. It would be better to have a larger muffler, one with a bigger pipe, than two smaller mufflers. Having equal length header pipes is important, but not so important that you'll have terrible performance without that.
Here's a couple of videos about 2 into 1 vs 2 into 2. The latter are the kind of with two exhausts, two mufflers and no crossover or connection between them.
http://odeo.com/episodes/23359567-Exhaust-Systems-and-Performance-2-into-1-vs-2-into-2

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
Well, Ducati's definition of a 2-1-2 isn't much of a 2-1-2...

The desmoquattro's all have 2-2 exhausts with compensated pipe length
The xx9 bikes all have 2-1-2 exhaust, probably because they had less room to move the pipes up the side of the bike with that double sided swing arm. But funny enough, the stock exhausts don't have compensated pipe length... The only place it goes back to 2 again, is when it hits the can, so that has no effect on the system at all. So thats why I call the 2-1-2 systems, simply: 2-1.

Anyhow, the 2-1 has its benefits by creating a location to help build torq (the mid pipe) which is very nice on the smaller motors. By getting that pipe's size perfect, you can very much control the torq output. The 2-2 systems are pretty kool because you can keep each cylinder separate from the motor to the can, which is nice. But I don't think there is really any benefit to a 2-2 system, its just kool...

IDK, I always say, if its good enough for Ducati corse (2-1) then it must be good enough for us... :rolleyes:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, of course you can. You just need a muffler with a bigger pipe and a suitable collector.
The termi silencer has 50mm inlet, im thinking of going with 48mm pipes in the headers and if the come togehter at the collector 50mm seems a bit tight but how big is it resnoble to have the whole 80mm i dont think you could get.
60mm seem ok but then ill have to change the silencer aswell.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, Ducati's definition of a 2-1-2 isn't much of a 2-1-2...

The desmoquattro's all have 2-2 exhausts with compensated pipe length
The xx9 bikes all have 2-1-2 exhaust, probably because they had less room to move the pipes up the side of the bike with that double sided swing arm. But funny enough, the stock exhausts don't have compensated pipe length... The only place it goes back to 2 again, is when it hits the can, so that has no effect on the system at all. So thats why I call the 2-1-2 systems, simply: 2-1.

Anyhow, the 2-1 has its benefits by creating a location to help build torq (the mid pipe) which is very nice on the smaller motors. By getting that pipe's size perfect, you can very much control the torq output. The 2-2 systems are pretty kool because you can keep each cylinder separate from the motor to the can, which is nice. But I don't think there is really any benefit to a 2-2 system, its just kool...

IDK, I always say, if its good enough for Ducati corse (2-1) then it must be good enough for us... :rolleyes:
What do you mean by 2-1-2 pipe?

My thought is that the 2 headers touch(backpressure) and then split up again to seporate silencers.
2-1 is the 2 pipes come to an colletor which leeds them into the silencer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts