Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my "new to me" '05 SS1000DS registered yesterday and spent most of the day riding around. My overall impression is that this bike is what I expected except better. Really enjoyed the ride and was impressed with the motor. Certainly different from my 998 Bayliss motor but an excellent street motor. Very pleased with everything about the bike. But, one question....does anyone else think the high beam is kind of mediocre? Honestly as I was riding last night and flipping it between high and low it was disappointing. My Bayliss high beam is better IMHO and that surprised me.

·
Banned
2,916 Posts
sounds great

i really love the way the SS1000DS feels and rides too, it is the most
perfect road bike i have ever ridden, ( not too much experience on
my side ), and is delivering a greater overall performance right out of the
box than i was ever dreaming about.

the problem with the headlight are the small diameter cables that are routed
to it, member Punch has written how he solved that problem, he has done
some nice pictures of "before and after" results with the headlight shining
on his garage door in the dark too.

enjoy the ride, i love the bike, let me know if you need some spare parts.

:)

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Muschi, thanks for the info. Strangely enough I get as many comments from passersby about the look of the SS as I do with the Bayliss 998. That surprised me.

·
Registered
104 Posts
nice ride

your riding my next bike, is it black? Nice choice, the headlights are a little dim on the ss, I have a 97 that I am waiting on a zenon bulb kit to brighten up the night. Might want to do the same.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Bruce,

OK, you've gotten your SS, but would you like to make it better? Lighten it up. Ducati didn't pay as much attention to weight reduction on the SS line as they could have, which makes it somewhat easier to take the weight out.

Examples:
- The use of a steel rear sprocket (replace w/alloy)
- That heavy rear passenger grab handle ("swiss cheese" it where it isn't visible)
- Delete the fairing noise patches (foam glued to the sides)
- Dump the emissions fuel canister and crankcase breather system
- A Sharkskinz fairing is lighter and looks better, owing to the fact it is two-piece instead of five (fewer fasteners) and they deleted the side view "mouth" line on both sides

My SS has lost 50 pounds so far, hitting 395 pounds with all fluids and a full tank of fuel. If you enjoy the twisties this is a good direction to go.

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
rz33v4:

It all sounds good to me. What did you do about the stock cans? Are there good sources for CF cans?

·
Chilehead
6,982 Posts
I have Sil Moto cans, much lighter than OEM, quiet or loud, depending if the dB-killers are installed. Work fine with OEM ECU.

Tom

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have Sil Moto cans, much lighter than OEM, quiet or loud, depending if the dB-killers are installed. Work fine with OEM ECU.

Tom
Can you tell me where you got those cans? I'm not finding CF cans for the SS1000DS.

·
Chilehead
6,982 Posts
I've got the low mounts http://www.motowheels.com/italian/myproducts.cfm?parentcategoryid=660|Ducati%20Exhaust&productID=5689&showDetail=1&categoryID=669|Supersport%20Exhaust&vendoridtodisplay=0&filterFor=&collection=168|European%20Motorcycle%20Parts

Cheaper, too!

Tom

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As it turns out I found the exact Sil Moto CF cans at Motowheels and ordered them today. Thanks.

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,712 Posts
Bruce,

OK, you've gotten your SS, but would you like to make it better? Lighten it up. Ducati didn't pay as much attention to weight reduction on the SS line as they could have, which makes it somewhat easier to take the weight out.

Examples:
- The use of a steel rear sprocket (replace w/alloy)
- That heavy rear passenger grab handle ("swiss cheese" it where it isn't visible)
- Delete the fairing noise patches (foam glued to the sides)
- Dump the emissions fuel canister and crankcase breather system
- A Sharkskinz fairing is lighter and looks better, owing to the fact it is two-piece instead of five (fewer fasteners) and they deleted the side view "mouth" line on both sides

My SS has lost 50 pounds so far, hitting 395 pounds with all fluids and a full tank of fuel. If you enjoy the twisties this is a good direction to go.

50lbs. for real? just via the mods listed above? seems almost impossible. :confused:

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,712 Posts
As it turns out I found the exact Sil Moto CF cans at Motowheels and ordered them today. Thanks.
Hiyas, Bruce...my good friend just installed a set of high-mount SIL's on his '95 900ss/sp. the change in decibel with the baffles pulled out was quite significant (80db to 100db, or thereabouts).

Hope you're enjoying the new ride.

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hiyas, Bruce...my good friend just installed a set of high-mount SIL's on his '95 900ss/sp. the change in decibel with the baffles pulled out was quite significant (80db to 100db, or thereabouts).

Hope you're enjoying the new ride.
I am definitely enjoying this bike. It's 7:20 a.m. here and I'm all packed and ready to meet some friends for a 4-day ride. We're off to Franconia Notch in the White Mountains of NH. There are going to be six of us meeting up there. It could get very interesting since two of the guys who rode in NH last year were invited by a State Trooper to "never return to NH again."

·
Banned
2,916 Posts
have much fun on your trip then. :)

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
50lbs. for real? just via the mods listed above? seems almost impossible. :confused:
Of course not. I pointed out some mods he could make without spending a lot of money, things he do could right now. A lot of my weight reduction came from magnesium wheels, CF fairing/fuel tank/mufflers and Ti shock spring/rear brake rotor. My point was that a 50 lb weight reduction was, indeed, possible on this machine.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My first post here.

Osram has a new line of H4 bulbs that offer more efficiency without drawing a lot of extra power. The stock 55/60 H4 puts out 1000/1650 lumens of light (lumens are the actual measure of light output). The Osram Hyper 65/70 puts out 1350/2000 lumens, while the 80/85 1750/2400 lumens. For comparison, the tradition 90/100 H4 puts out 1620/2400 lumens.

I am running the 80/85 H4 and find it a marked improvement over the stock. The lighting pattern of the 900ss lamp is still pretty poor, but at least I can see now. You can get the bulbs from rallylights.com or danielsternlighting.

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just back from our trip to Franconia Notch with some new observations about the SS1000DS. Most obvious is the gearing. Absolutely terrible. We did 1,000 mi. and I couldn't use 6th gear. Out on the interstate the only way I could use top gear was at 80-85 mph or more. Acceleration was OK but that gearing had to be a deficit. Handling and braking were all that I expected...in other words, very good. The bike was a lot of fun and really useable in all situations except for the gearing. I don't know if this is totally a consequence of the gearing but the 2V has a "feel" that is just not as strong as my 4V. I'm looking forward to those new Sil Moto cans and some proper gearing. That should tell me even more. In general though this is a very nice bike.

As for the trip. The Notch is an amazing place. Always colder, wetter and windier than 5 miles down the road in any direction. It rained...it was 30 degrees...and there were wind gusts of 80 mph (according to the park ranger). The trees were rocking and the wind was whistling enough to keep us awake at night. I've camped there many times before but this could be the last, at least in Sept.-Oct. The weather is just too crazy in the Notch.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts