Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Had my 05 999s with about 8k miles at ECS in Middletown NY today. This is one bike I would like to keep long term. I entrusted the first major service to these guys as I wanted to ensure 100% of the bike was gone over and it was done right. Since I did not purchase this bike new, there was 3k miles put on by a previous owner.

While I know ECS has a great reputation, staying at the shop for the day gave me insight to just how much skill and caring these guys put into their work. Steve, Jay and Sean were awesome.

In addition to new belts, oil change & filter, plugs, coolant and brake/clutch fluids they went over every nut & bolt, every square inch. TPS set, idle set and carbs balanced. Loose steering bearing fixed. They ditched the evap can for me too. In checking the bike over they found the clutch basket pretty beat up, friction plates close to gone and a notchy bearing. They also found the termi slips-ons were installed with no exhaust gasket. Everything was fixed on the spot.

Last, and not least, they found a flaking/scored rocker. Also replaced. All rockers were out of spec too. All properly set back to spec, Jay has more patience then any mechanic I know.

While I would rate the wear & problems they found not usual for a bike with such low mileage I am very glad Jay was doing the wrenching VS some other shop. The prices for labor and parts are very fair, the service is simply the best you can get.

So I would encourage all you folks with greater then 6K miles, without having done that service yet, to give ECS a call. Even if everything checks out fine and no shimming is needed or no parts need replacement, it still a very important service and having 100% of all fluids done and the bike gone over end to end will save you money and heartache down the road.

Here are a few pics from today.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
That doesnt look like a typical flaking rocker.... more like the clearance was wayyy too tight. Is this the first valve check on this bike, and was the cam okay?

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That was the first valve clearance work I had done too it. I am pretty sure it's the first check period, but I was not the orginal owner as stated and it had 3K miles when I got it. So who knows. The cam was rough. The shop did not have a new S cam handy. The next check 6k miles from now will be interesting to see how that old cam and new rocker get along.

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
Thats disconcerting, doesn't looked flaked, but as you say "scored". Wonder what caused that. I had my vertical cam cover off recently to replace it w/ a magnesium one and my rockers looked perfect, w/ no wear at all....11,000 miles.
WOW! that looks like alot of work, now I know I have to remove the rad to change my front cam cover......bought some parts from ECS, they are great to deal with and get stuff from Italy super quick!

·
Registered
328 Posts
I wish there was a good shop here in el paso to get my stuff worked on. Anyone know anygood shops near western texas, southern new mexico?

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
I wish there was a good shop here in el paso to get my stuff worked on. Anyone know anygood shops near western texas, southern new mexico?
PJ's in Albuquerque is the only dealer in NM. I don't know of any other shops, but I trust PJ's with just about anything. That's not very near you though. There's got to be some good shops in El paso you would think.

·
Registered
328 Posts
PJ's in Albuquerque is the only dealer in NM. I don't know of any other shops, but I trust PJ's with just about anything. That's not very near you though. There's got to be some good shops in El paso you would think.
You would think. The only shop here that sells ducs has EVERY model of bike and I think 2 mechanics. People drop off their bike and don't see it again for months. They don't give a time when itll be done, just itll be done when its done. They are mostly a dealership they don't care once you've bought the bike, silly I know.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
lol I am not mechanical...or I would have been doing the service myself...throttle bodies synced (someone help me here you know what I mean) carbs balanced may not have been the right term :) I know they drill an access hole in the top of the airbox so they can access some screws while tuning things.

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
lol I am not mechanical...or I would have been doing the service myself...throttle bodies synced (someone help me here you know what I mean) carbs balanced may not have been the right term :) I know they drill an access hole in the top of the airbox so they can access some screws while tuning things.
DMC.....they still call it "carburation day" at Indy ! we know what you meant!:D

·
Registered
154 Posts
I knew what you meant..... It's good to hear a happy dealership experience!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts