Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
I can't help you with what to do about it but, the cause might be exposure to the elements/environment/weather where you live. Especially so if you ride all year round in your climate.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I'm pretty sure there are a bunch of old threads on here regarding the paint flaking, if I remember correctly a couple of members were actually able to get something done about it under warranty (I'm pretty sure it was a big hassle though).

As luvtoride mentioned it does appear to be related to the climate you're in, my New England hyper has lost almost all the paint off the horizontal cylinder valve cover and the cooling fins look like absolute doo doo... Luckily "pretty" bikes aren't really my thing so I couldn't give a flying you-know-what! >:)

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
That's a general problem with any painted cylinder head. Add to that the horizontal head gets blasted by the tire, it's inevitable.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone. This bike resides in Iowa now, but it did spend several years on the east coast. The flaking paint bugs the crap out of me, just because I am a tad (ok, very) OCD about keeping my bike as mint as possible (yes I ride it, I just clean it after every trip). The OCD is a blessing AND a curse!

·
Registered
239 Posts
My 796 suffers terribly from flaking engine paint & aluminium "rust". Pretty much all the underside of the cases are toast & the peeling has spread to the rest of the cases now. :frown2: Even only occasional winter riding on salted UK roads will wreck your Duc. A damp shed doesn't help.
Somewhere in the forum there is/was a thread with a UK guy who stripped his bike down & had all the engine casings dipped in some clear/invisible coating (for maritime protection?) Certainly could do with that on mine. And someone to strip it down & reassemble it for me!
I was never much of a polisher until I once spotted a major problem on a race bike I was "tidying up". There are some benefits to bike cleaning other than prettiness!:smile2:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts