Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to Ducati's and have a question. Back in MSF class, I was told that when you're sitting at a stoplight in traffic - you should leave the bike in first gear (as opposed to neutral...), holding the clutch in - just in case you need to move out of the way quick. What about the Ducati "Dry Clutch" - is it OK to keep this type clutch held in at a stoplight in traffic, or am I going to burn something out?....

Also - the bike I just bought has an "open" clutch cover, a modification done by the previous owner. If this open clutch gets wet, rain or when washing it, etc... is it OK?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
1. Won't hurt the clutch to hold the lever in at a stoplight. Might hurt your forearm though.
2. Many run open covers. You might want to make sure the clutch is dried out before storing the bike though, if it gets wet.

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,716 Posts
i believe it to be safer to be in gear....if that's the case, i'll take safer over replacing a clutch basket early any day.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
I generally leave it in gear for the most parts myself. However if I've been riding for a while, or get stuck in heavy traffic I will toss it in neutral. You can only hold these clutches in for so long before your arm starts to hurt lol.

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
I was always told to hook neutral when stopping - dry clutches will eat themselves if you sit with the bike in gear, and the clutch dis-engaged.
I've never done a MSF course, but then again - in 35 years of riding, I've never had to 'move out of the way in a hurry' at a traffic light. Generally, once a vehicle has stopped behind me, I figure that'll keep the worst away...

As for traffic jams - lane split. I killed a clutch in my first traffic jam by NOT lane splitting. Not that I enjoy it... If you feel guilty about it, merge back into the traffic lane/flow once you can do so without slipping the clutch. About 30 kph with my current gearing/setup. 50 kph with standard...

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts
Neutral for me.
I hate just sitting holding the clutch in. I do scan my mirrors for impending danger as I sit.
No dry clutch though :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Neutral for me on either bike. The Oberon slave does make clutch work a little more bareable.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I leave mine in gear. I've been rear ended twice while sitting at stoplights and prefer to not let it happen again. In gear, watching the mirrors and leave room in front so you've got somewhere to go if you have to.

BTW, I've got almost 30,000 miles on my original clutch. It's nearing the end of its life, but sitting at stoplights in gear hasn't hurt it.

·
Señor Member
8,468 Posts
For 40+ years of riding, if I come to a signal I throw it into neutral. Unless I see the cross signal is about to turn red, then I'll leave it in first. I've never had to launch from a stop because of danger behind me. Whether it's while in motion or stopped at a light, I'm always checking traffic around me and in my mirrors to be prepared for any problems, though.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
Always leave my bike in 1st gear with the clutch in when stopped in traffic. Had a dry clutch on my BMW R1200RT and never had a problem with the clutch from this practice.

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
Always leave my bike in 1st gear with the clutch in when stopped in traffic. Had a dry clutch on my BMW R1200RT and never had a problem with the clutch from this practice.
But don't they have a dry clutch - as in a car has a dry clutch? i.e. a single plate?

Slightly different to the clattery thing in the 900's... ;)

BTW - I'm jealous of your rides. :D

·
Official Retired Person
7,545 Posts
I always slip into neutral and watch my mirrors. In all these years of riding, I've had to move out of the way only once. Saw the car approaching from behind (while watching my mirrors) and was able to make a safe right turn. Never felt trheatened.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I always leave my bikes (and cars) in gear at stop lights. It's nice to be able to get out of the way if you NEED to without thinking. Additionally, I have had friends who have had trouble getting back into 1st at a stop light, and I can't imagine how much worse it would be if he NEEDED to moved in a hurry. Better safe than sorry.

~Ex

·
Registered
180 Posts
I'm split about 50/50 personally.

But I've always wondered about the whole "if I have to get out of the way" thing. Generally, wouldn't "getting out of the way" mean heading straight into full speed cross traffic? No thanks.

·
Señor Member
8,468 Posts
I'm split about 50/50 personally.

But I've always wondered about the whole "if I have to get out of the way" thing. Generally, wouldn't "getting out of the way" mean heading straight into full speed cross traffic? No thanks.
Not necessarily, look at Kneel's answer above. A safe right turn got him out of harm's way. You always have to have an escape plan in your head for different situations. As I approach an intersection I have an escape plan for that situation. A vehicle in front of me with a loose load, a blind corner, a two lane road at night with opposing traffic, for all those and more I have escape plans in my head.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the quick responses, very helpful! You would think that an area like "Suwanee Georgia" would be pretty calm traffic wise...but in my 16 years in this area, I've been rearended more than once (while in a car) from people just not paying attention. Maybe a good lesson since I'm now very leary about what's behind me at stop lights... My rides are usually pretty short on my bike - I'm keeping it in gear until I see a complete stop behind me!

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
I go to neutral as I'm downshifting to stop at a red light and then roll to a stop......like a few have mentioned, depends on the traffic light rotation at the time.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Hello...

1. Won't hurt the clutch to hold the lever in at a stoplight. Might hurt your forearm though.
2. Many run open covers. You might want to make sure the clutch is dried out before storing the bike though, if it gets wet.
OP asked if it would hurt the clutch, not what's safest.

·
Patriot
78 Posts
neutral

N - unless uphill or busy streets

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
But don't they have a dry clutch - as in a car has a dry clutch? i.e. a single plate?

Slightly different to the clattery thing in the 900's... ;)

BTW - I'm jealous of your rides. :D
I don't think the number of plates in the clutch makes any difference. My Multi and Diavel both have wet clutches which I prefer over a dry clutch.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts