Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guy,

I am doing my first track day on my hyper (first track day on a road track, though lots of experience with offroad tracks).

I have a good (I think it is good) Joe Rocket jacket and I was going to get pants that will zip to it (only zips in the back, not all the way around).

My buddy says I really need a 1 piece suit, rather than a 2 piece. Is that true, is the 1pc significantly better? (if so why). What about just zipping in the back vs all the way around?

Thanks for your help and wish me luck on my first track day!

·
Registered
135 Posts
First of all, most track organizations require a full circumference zipper. The reason being that if you fall and end up sliding feet first your jacket could be bunched up around your arms and you'd be sliding on your skin...not good.

There are decent 2 pc suits out there, which are a little more user friendly for street riding. When it comes to track riding, though, 1 pc is the way to go.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
The benefit of a 2 piece suit is that you can take either part off easily. It is probably best for the street, so if you stop for lunch, you can take off the jacket and be comfortable.

A 2 piece is also a good 2nd choice for an occasional track day rider, but as mentioned, it would need to be a full circumference attachment (zipper or velcro).

A 1 piece is the best for a regular track day rider or racer (or for the street rider who doesn't mind wearing the whole suit all the time.) It provides the most safety as there is little chance of the top and bottom separating and most full suits have better safety/protection features than 2 piece.

YMMV

·
Premium Member
486 Posts
Speaking of 1 piece suits... I've got one I'm happy to sell you if you're the right size and interested (46-48)... it's a MotoGP. Shown in the attached picture for your pleasure. It's pretty much brand new. I just like my old, crashed Spidi a bit better.

Thanks,

B

Attachments

·
Registered
269 Posts
safety gear

One or two piece should offer the same protection in a quality suit. Regardless don't try to buy the cheapest suit! This is safety gear, look for something that will protect you. I good company will offer to repair there suits...
  • Vanson
  • Dainese
  • MotoPort
I had a set of one piece Vanson leathers. There worked great, but there where a little stiff and heavy.

I prefer 2 piece suits myself. Mainly so I can remove the jacket while I'm in the pit's. I also sometime wear just the jacket on road trips.

I see your in the Southwest also. I'd suggest taking a look at MotoPorts Kevlar suites. There much lighter and cool to wear in the summer and are FIM, AMA and CCS approved. It's like wearing a heavy t-shirt, instead of a leather bag!
http://www.motoport.com/_catalog_35442/Kevlar_Products

Check this out from Dainese...
http://www.thebikergene.com/riding-gear/dainese-testing-race-leathers-with-electronically-operated-airbags/

Attachments

·
Premium Member
486 Posts
Turbo, you look as if someone pee'd in your cup!

b

·
Registered
82 Posts
The Joe Rocket set up should be fine, but if you have to buy the pants spend a little more on a suit. That way you have road gear and track gear. I use a two piece suit at the track and it is great. Mine only zips up about half way around. I do maybe 6 track days a year.

I was going to say wait before spending any money to see if you get hooked on the track days, but with the Hyper it's a given! Track days are very addictive. I suppose if you think you are going to get into track days regularly and/or club racing a one piece suit is the way to go.

One piece of equipment I will recommend is a good quality back protector.

Anyway have fun and best of luck. You will love it.

·
Registered
862 Posts
My problem with one piece suites is that I have a long torso so they are nut crushers and I can't stand up strait. I am 6'-1' with 33" inch inseam and stubby neck. Are there longer torso suits commonly available?

·
Registered
862 Posts
Speaking of 1 piece suits... I've got one I'm happy to sell you if you're the right size and interested (46-48)... it's a MotoGP. Shown in the attached picture for your pleasure. It's pretty much brand new. I just like my old, crashed Spidi a bit better.

Thanks,

B
How much are you selling the suit for? Also is there an extra charge for scuffing the knee pads for me, I don't want my fauxhawk buddies to laugh at me because I failed to by pre-scuffed knee pads? Never mind I will check eBay. :D:D:D:D:D:D

·
MultiModerator
1,419 Posts
My problem with one piece suites is that I have a long torso so they are nut crushers and I can't stand up strait. I am 6'-1' with 33" inch inseam and stubby neck. Are there longer torso suits commonly available?
Custom made suit is your answer. I'm the opposite, short torso so the suit hangs way too long, enough extra room for a bowling ball. :D

I've had suits made by Syed and Z Custom, both were great with the edge to Z. A plus, great fitting leather prevent secondary friction burns by the leathers moving on you when the leather hits the road.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
The Joe Rocket idea that you had is great. However, take it to someone who does leather repair and have them sew a ful circumference zipper onto it. You can also have them leave the stubby zipper there for street use.

Might cost you $20-30 bucks but it's definitely worth it.

Dave

·
Duc ... Duc ... GOOSE!
1,928 Posts
I've had both - Spidi one piece and Dainese 2-pc. The Spidi was great, but didn't fit quite right because I have wide shoulders and a short torso, and it was impractical because of my minimal trackdays. The Dainese is great but, unfortunately, non-perf.

I currently have a custom Vanson 2-pc which should quell the fitment issues and it's full-perf so it'll be great in the summer. It's gonna be LOUD!!, too.

·
Registered
190 Posts
c'mon, nobody is discussing the real benefits of the 2 pee-cer :rolleyes:

it's really difficult to make a pit stop in a one piece suit. you practically have to take the whole thing off. with the 2 piece, zip, zip...ahhhhh :D

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
c'mon, nobody is discussing the real benefits of the 2 pee-cer :rolleyes:

it's really difficult to make a pit stop in a one piece suit. you practically have to take the whole thing off. with the 2 piece, zip, zip...ahhhhh :D
Typhon is right.

In a one piece, size does matter.....:think::yeah:

Dave

·
Duc ... Duc ... GOOSE!
1,928 Posts
Here's the preliminary sketches of my new suit.

Love it or hate it I don't care ... I LOVE IT!!!! (the elephant will be pink) :eek:

PS: If someone can convert it to JPG that would be awesome.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts