Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to open up both the clutch and flywheel sides of my 1999 ST2 and understand I need some clutch and flywheel holding tools.

With regards to the alternator (flywheel) side, I see there are two different tools, one a serrated holder for the finned alternator, and the other a "C-shaped" tool that holds the flywheel via two pins...I believe I need the serrated tool...can anyone confirm this?

Where can I find these clutch and flywheel holding tools? Older bike and it seems to be a little difficult finding the tools.

Thanks everyone.

P.S. while I have your attention...if you know the whereabouts of a kph speedo for my ST2 I would appreciate a message.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,656 Posts
You can buy tool, not really that pricey. For as often as you'd need it, get a Motion Pro gear jammer. I just did a light flywheel on the 916 (same set up as your ST2) and it worked perfectly. Nut zipped right off with an air gun, gear jammer held it for the final torque.

https://www.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-08-0427-Gear-Jammer/dp/B001AVS60O

Clutch tools are easy to make if you have a few old disks kicking around. If not, again, the holding tools are on eBay and not expensive.

Reactions: 2004 999s

·
Registered
777 Posts
I've no experience on the flywheel side. For the clutch side I found I needed:
- Clutch tool
- 32mm socket for the big nut
- Breaker bar ($13 @ Harbor Freight) to get the big nut off -I don't have the popular impact tools.
- Torque wrench

Tons of good threads around here worth combing through on clutch replacement and overhaul.

Good luck with it!

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
With regards to the alternator (flywheel) side, I see there are two different tools, one a serrated holder for the finned alternator, and the other a "C-shaped" tool that holds the flywheel via two pins...I believe I need the serrated tool...can anyone confirm this?
If you have a 1999 ST2, then it should have the newer alternator. See how many yellow wires exit the grommet on the front of the side cover.

2-wires, then it's the older finned one (1997 and 1998 ST2) (420 W, single-phase)

3-wires, it's the newer (better, 520 W, 3-phase stator) I'm betting it's THIS ONE.

SS904 pic is of the older 350W Alternator on the older 916 machines (2-wire, single phase)

·
Premium Member
5,656 Posts
If you have a 1999 ST2, then it should have the newer alternator.
Good point. It was after 1998 where the change took place. Flywheel holding tools for the newer bikes seem easier to get, maybe cheaper too. $12.00 Gear Jammer would still work either way, but the right tool is always nicer!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts