Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's time to buy a new battery for my 1999 ST2. I don't know if the current battery (pictured) is a stock size or a larger-than-usual version.

What batteries are you guys using in your ST bikes these days? Can you recommend a battery for my bike based on the photo? (Sorry I don't have a larger photo identifying the model number of the battery.)

·
Registered
204 Posts
I believe Ducati made a change in the battery for the ST2 after 1999. The old battery (which your bike has) was a regular wet type and the new spec was an AGM or glass matt type. The new spec battery is Yuasa part is YT12B-BS. It is smaller but I assume it would fit your bike. (Note the later ST2 came with a "spacer" which fits along side the battery to fill the battery box.)
Les

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
I'd say it's what's most important to you. The Yuasa battery that you have is a great battery. Mine lasted for over 7 years in my 1998 ST2. But when I replaced it, I opted for a AGM battery, but bigger than the Ducati 2001 + battery. What I wanted was more cranking amps, and better Amp/Hrs. Your Yuasa is 16 A/hr. The new Ducati battery is 12 Ahr.
The one I went with is a 22 A/hr. I think mine is a UB-22

But this new battery that I have was 3" depth, and the battery box needed slight modification.

If you want simplicity, stay with the one you have.

The smaller battery does give a weight-savings advantage (again, what's most important to you?).

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, after considering the battery box mod, I decided to order a replacement 16AL-A2 battery. Unfortunately, as you all know, I have to tear the fairling off to replace it. I have a Dzus lower fairing quick-removal modification kit from DesmoTimes which I can install at the same time.

·
Chilehead
6,980 Posts
I put a YT12B-BS in mine, as well as in my SS and LeMans, and I think that's what is in the 999R.

Tom

·
Registered
7 Posts
Iv
Well, after considering the battery box mod, I decided to order a replacement 16AL-A2 battery. Unfortunately, as you all know, I have to tear the fairling off to replace it. I have a Dzus lower fairing quick-removal modification kit from DesmoTimes which I can install at the same time.
Ive just purchased a 1999 ST2 a couple of weeks ago, and I definitely need to put a new battery in.
I’ve never come across a bike that seems like a logistical nightmare just to get to basic parts on a bike.
I still haven’t honestly worked out how the fairing comes off, it looks like the e tire radiator grill and everything seems to have to come off the bike also,
I had a quick look with 3 car mechanics a week ago, as the bike wouldn’t restart after fueling up at a servo, 2 of the mechanics own bikes and they were scratching their heads also.
I’m honestly not looking forward to even attempting to take the fairing off, it’s by far the worst setup I’ve ever seen

·
Registered
7 Posts
Iv

Ive just purchased a 1999 ST2 a couple of weeks ago, and I definitely need to put a new battery in.
I’ve never come across a bike that seems like a logistical nightmare just to get to basic parts on a bike.
I still haven’t honestly worked out how the fairing comes off, it looks like the e tire radiator grill and everything seems to have to come off the bike also,
I had a quick look with 3 car mechanics a week ago, as the bike wouldn’t restart after fueling up at a servo, 2 of the mechanics own bikes and they were scratching their heads also.
I’m honestly not looking forward to even attempting to take the fairing off, it’s by far the worst setup I’ve ever seen
Ps I feel like getting a bike shop to do it for me, but I’m thinking it will cost far more for the labour than it will for the battery.

·
Registered
690 Posts
It isn't really that big a deal to remove the fairings, although cutting the horizontal tabs as is done for the Dzus kit (which can be done and still use the wellnuts) does make it a lot easier. It only takes me about ten minutes to remove the fairings. Once you do it once, it will be easy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It isn't really that big a deal to remove the fairings, although cutting the horizontal tabs as is done for the Dzus kit (which can be done and still use the wellnuts) does make it a lot easier. It only takes me about ten minutes to remove the fairings. Once you do it once, it will be easy.
Cheers mate

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Well, you've dove in when you bought the ST2. It is overwhelming the 1st time when U R&R the plastic. And yes, it really ticks me off that they hid the battery down there. It's modeled after the 916 -- placed low for better CG and handling. But it did piss me off enough to modify that right "air conveyer" (inner piece of ducting), so that I have access to the + terminal, in case I ever need to give the bike a boost from another battery (like I did last month!).

It really helps to become familiar w/ the bike. Also, if you do bring it to a dealer in the future for other reasons, I recommend removing all the plastic, and just replace the nose piece along with the mirrors. It is still street legal to drive it to the dealership at that point, and YOU have control over your bodywork. Plus it saves a bit on R&R fees (labor).

Ultimately, when UR in there servicing, ALWAYS make sure those battery terminals are clean, and very tight, maybe a dab of vaseline.... Otherwise, you'll be starting at the dashboard, mirrors, nose piece, etc.

Not sure about the rest here, but when I remove mine, I split the seam at the bottom, and remove the side fairing as one piece. I've NEVER split the 2 side panels apart. Never had the need. Note that it does take a bit of tipping and maneuvering to get the front of that side fairing to come free and clear of the coolant tank.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Oh, and whatever battery you place in there, BE SURE to have the + post face the front of the bike.

Reactions: Chris’o

·
Registered
352 Posts
Yeah it's really not that hard, you have to strip it from the top down though.
Start by removing the dash infill panels then the mirrors then the upper nose section then the two side panels. The two side panels come off together just need to remove the two belly pan screws, one main screw the one with the countersunk washer and two upper vertical screws one near the coolant tank the other further back near the coil if I remember rightly.
That said I usually only remove the lower half side fairing to replace the battery. It is fiddly but can be done.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Start from the bottom and hope the PO cut the unnecessary tab holding the right mid piece to the top. If so, you won't need to remove the nose. If not, you'll then have to remove all and then cut the top tab holding the nose piece to the upper portion of the mid piece.

Don't worry about the various screws as they are all the same except for the one side screw with the decorative washer and the four screws holding at the very bottom. Obvious size difference. PITA? Yes. But it goes quickly.

BTW, if you want to re-position the battery, it'll fit under the seat in two different positions. Use either the molded pocket and cut hole(s) for the cables to exit to the connection point where the battery used to be or use a longer cable to position it under the seat at the rearmost point. Either works and I use both for my two bikes. Suggested cables from here: https://shopspeedcell.com/collections/battery-accessories/products/univeral-ring-terminal-harness. You'd need the shorty ring terminal connection lead/quick disconnect cable to hook to the battery and then the longer cable (again, quick disconnect and ring terminals) to go to the original connection point. The longer cable is a custom fabrication and all you need to provide to the company is the required length. If battery ever goes dead it is easy to get to it. If you wish to remove it for winter storage and trickle, easy job.

Congrats on the bike. Let us know your details regarding location too. It is the absolute best bike Ducati no longer makes!!
Steve

Reactions: Chris’o

·
Registered
308 Posts
Stick,

Who makes the battery you are running?

I have been through a couple and I really want to get it right, this time. I have tried Yuasa lead acid, Shorai, and a TruGel that the local Ducati dealer sold me. They are attempting to salvage my gel battery, now. I tried to but, I think it is done for. I have a fairly good charger but, I neglected it a bit these last few months or so. I really want to get my ST2 back in daily rider shape so, it is a bit of a priority, just now.

Thank you,

Tom

I'd say it's what's most important to you. The Yuasa battery that you have is a great battery. Mine lasted for over 7 years in my 1998 ST2. But when I replaced it, I opted for a AGM battery, but bigger than the Ducati 2001 + battery. What I wanted was more cranking amps, and better Amp/Hrs. Your Yuasa is 16 A/hr. The new Ducati battery is 12 Ahr.
The one I went with is a 22 A/hr. I think mine is a UB-22

But this new battery that I have was 3" depth, and the battery box needed slight modification.

If you want simplicity, stay with the one you have.

The smaller battery does give a weight-savings advantage (again, what's most important to you?).

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Here's the latest one that I bought. It was intended for an older Moto Guzzi that I own, but it ended up in a whole house generator that I have. Still great after buying in 2018. I charge it maybe 2x a year, just to keep it topped up.

I just updated the above link. This one has the button terminals. The prior one had the tab posts...

·
Registered
308 Posts
Do you like it better than the AGM UB22?

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Like them the same. Just be sure to get the button-top posts! And, since the battery is 3.03" depth, you need to modify your battery tray, the bottom tab needs to be removed, and then you need to fabricate an alternate tab or total bottom-to-top strap. I did the latter.

Also note that if you have an ST4s or ST3, I don't believe this battery will fit with the ECU "in the battery box" now. Check the length of battery to be sure.

Will work for ST2 or ST4.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts