Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Picked this up locally yesterday. First thing, Can you guys help confirm that this is an M900? The reason I am not 100% sure is because the Title reads "model - 590", where the VIN on the title & frame show it being an M900 when I do the VIN decoder. Before I go ordering parts, I want to be 100% sure its a 900.

VIN: ZDM1RC4N6XB020614
Engine VIN: RC4X049687

It is pretty clean and has lots of carbon parts all over but the engine needs some work. I am handy at working on engines but this is my first Ducati. I bought it from a local Chiropractor. The story on it is that his son was running the bike with the timing belt covers off and something ended up getting in the path of the belt and threw the timing off. The heads were removed by previous owner years ago and they thought a new engine would be needed. I bought it for a highly discounted price and upon inspection, there are no marks on the piston where valves would've touched and the bores are super clean. I plan to buy the parts needed - or an entire engine and just take the parts off that I need to get this running again.

From what I can see, these are the parts I will need:
  • Both heads/cams
  • exhaust
  • timing belts
  • airbox
  • oil cooler

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I got my question confirmed in a facebook group.... It is a 900 engine. Planning to buy a complete engine since it's not much more than the heads alone. Will keep the thread updated once more work is done.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you get any explanation of where the missing heads might be ?
The bike was in Dallas when it was disassembled. Then it was brought back to Louisiana where it sat the last few years. Supposedly the heads were lost in the move back down south.

Bought a complete running engine today for $350 (plus 175 to ship)

I got the bike itself for $200 along with a few extra parts, bike ramp and 5 new tires.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep, was one of those things where the guy had plenty of money and just wanted space back in his shop. Posted on fb marketplace and luckily I was the first one there

1 - 9 of 9 Posts