Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1999 Ducati SS 900-should I buy it

4K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  Colt45 
#1 ·
Im 36 years old and have been riding for 5 years now.I found a dealer here in my area that has 2 1999 Ducati SS 900...1 red half faired still in the box for $6500 and the other a yellow full faired for $7500...BOTH NEW. I have an 06 yamaha r6 and have always wanted a Ducati. Plus it looks like a nice bike to have the wife jump on...she is really uncomfortable on the R6 which makes it very uncomfortable for me. Im thinking its a good Price...what do all of you think. Seems to be a good buy and I was told it will still have the 2 year warranty because of it being new.

On another note..if it is a good deal will I be disappointed riding it comapred to my r6. The R6 is not a smooth ride but man...it sure is fun. Im thinking it would make a nice weekend bike...or even throw a couple saddlebagds on it and cruise around on it for work. PLease tell me how much you like your 900 ss and if you have other bikes please feel free to compare. Thanks

#2 ·
the 900SS and the R6 are two completely different worlds. If you are about speed and tricks, keep the R6, if you are interested in character and poise, grab the SS.

That price might be a little high considering they've been sitting there for 8 years now. Talk 'em down, way down.

#4 ·
I myself got one of these "crate" bikes that were stored in Italy.

I bought mine new last year with no regrets, being my first bike.

So far, bike has been trouble free. If I were you, make up your mind before someone else grabs them at that price.

I think for your situation, that would be perfect considering you are getting a new bike at a fraction of the cost.

#5 ·
Smalls said:
the 900SS and the R6 are two completely different worlds. If you are about speed and tricks, keep the R6, if you are interested in character and poise, grab the SS.

That price might be a little high considering they've been sitting there for 8 years now. Talk 'em down, way down.
..I already tried talking him down...this dealer lost his Ducati dealership rights this year..probably because he wont budge on price. I plan on keeping my 06 to race around on with my friends...but man...like you said..I would love to have the Ducati for the character and poise...throw the wife on the back on head out to dinner.

#6 ·
Desmolicious said:
you can buy a new left over 06 800ss for about $7500...or a super low mileage 07 for similar. both still under warranty. a new bike that has been sitting for 8 years may need new hoses, fuel lines etc. also tyres..
You may be right on the tires and hoses...he did say he would make sure everything was in"new "condition"..Im going to try and go in with $6800 bucks cash and see if he'll sell me the full faired yellow one.

#7 ·
Can he provide warranty work for you if he lost his Dealership rights? Otherwise is there another Ducati dealer close to you when you need service for it?(at least 4 hours away)

#8 ·
Honestly I thought because we are talking 8 years this was a troll.. I may have been a little harsh perhaps.. It may have been your profile not filled in..

I can tell you one thing from experience.. You'll ditch the R6 fro riding with your friends pretty quick.. well as soon as you find out they complain because, with you stomping up behind them in the twisties, they won't be able to hear their own bikes!!! Sure they will pull away from you when it gets straight but next corner and you'll be sticking your nose up underneath them again. Once you get by them just baulk them into the braking zone for the next one, they won't come by!

Ducati's are SOOO much fun.

Mal

#9 ·
Personally I would pass...

The bike has been sitting for a long time. The tires the belts and probably the hoses are in need of a replacement. Not to mention all the fluids need to be flushed and replaced.

Since the shop is also no longer a Ducati dealership I'm pretty sure you will not be getting a warranty and even if you were any work done at there shop would void the warranty if you could get one. Having a non Ducati shop work on your bike is just like you working on it.

So in all honesty even though the bike has 0 miles on it, it's used. I paid under 5 for my '99 and it had 1300 miles on it. Even with new rubber, belts and a service I would still have money left over for toys for the bike.

Let this one pass... But buy a Ducati you will not regret that.

#10 ·
Call !

Give the company a call because if that bike has NOT been titled then it should have a warranty.

And any Ducati shop can do warranty work for you!

I would get the Yellow Bike. Make them a offer $4800.No more then $5200.

Attachments

#12 ·
Desmolicious said:
Listen to Curveman! You can buy a new left over 2006 for what they are asking for the 1999! That is not, I repeat not, a deal!!!!
Good to know...almost pulled the trigger today..but never made it down there..I was going to walk in with 6500 bucks cash for the 900 SS yellow fully faired Ducati..but I may shop around a bit now to see what I can find

#13 ·
I bought a new y2k 900SSie in 2005 and have been riding it the last 2 years without incident. It was a great deal for me. There was a trade-in involved making the exact $ amount paid a little tough to say. If the price is right and you love the bike, go for it. For me, it was EXACTLY what I was looking for. I was glad to have found it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.