Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just have to ask the question.

I've had a few bikes over the years, including dukes and one has come up here that has caught my eye. A very std '99 996 with 3000km on the clock. Bearing in mind this sort of bike is not very common here. However importing is easy but with the extra cost of course.

The story is it was part of a collection, displayed, de registered to be exported then re reg'd. No service history at all but registered again with the authority here and legal.

I've talked to the vendor, nothing maintenance wise has been done as far as I can tell.

Having re freshed my memory in this forum there are several things to consider.

For starters, new belts asap, the fuel lines are sure to need doing as well. You can bet no ones looked at the rocker arms or cams. Forget the alternator wiring, that'll be stock. I can do it myself but am fairly busy with work, sons & my moto crossers and a shovelhead build, there is a dealer here but i'm not sure of their prices or work (yet).

The second area is history, no MOT checks for milage verification or service history. This is important on all used vehicles but esp on a Ducati and is normaly a sign of impending disaster.

Thirdly, the price. The fella is asking fairly good money for it. 6000 pounds/ $9500US. Bikes like this in the UK go for between 4-7000 pounds. So I'm not in the UK but the asking price is top end which would get you provonance, log books, manuals and extras like pipes etc and a fine example with less than 15k on the clock.

As I said it will not be my only bike, have a moto crosser and harleys too. I have a workshop here at the house if required & can throw a bit of cash at another project. I intend to ride when the situation arises and do a few track days but the reality is it will get light use.

Normally I'd just run away. However this part of the world is different and I have to take a look. I wanted one back when they where new out and still think they look so nice. I'm afraid I've got that Ducati thing back pretty bad.

An S or better would really be nice but if I can haggle a good price....

So, I'm just throwing it out there for fun, see what the forum thinks.

·
Registered
265 Posts
yes that is alot for a 99
your right all the work you said needs to be done
belts fuel fiters hoses
was it stored proper?
feel your love for these
my 748 is priceless
mono seat conversion carbon termis etc
if you have it, get it
they are art and ride better
dont worry about resale
just keep it forever

·
Registered
49 Posts
yes that is alot for a 99
your right all the work you said needs to be done
belts fuel fiters hoses
was it stored proper?
feel your love for these
my 748 is priceless
mono seat conversion carbon termis etc
if you have it, get it
they are art and ride better
dont worry about resale
just keep it forever
I bought my 996 for $1500, no fairings sitting under a tarp in a dudes backyard just rotting away, I'll never resale, it will be mine forever!! Soon after I bought it I took straight in to get the 12K done, it only had 8000 miles on it, straight under the radar never listed just right time right place!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Deazy how much you got in her now?
I might have double the value in mine
but she is perfect for me so I dont
worry
still look at her and smile

·
Registered
49 Posts
Deazy how much you got in her now?
I might have double the value in mine
but she is perfect for me so I dont
worry
still look at her and smile
I've probally put about $3000+ since I bought it, it's not exactly where I want it to be, once I'm done riding it or get another bike I'll probably start a massive rebuild and polish a few odds and ends, until then she's on Street/track duty, but like you said I'll never sell this bike.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Hard for us to tell you if it is a good deal since most of us have no idea how rare they are or how much it would cost to import. Price seems fair for a low mile example as long as it is in good cosmetic shape. Tires and chain will probably need replacing along with everything else you listed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There are not many here compared to US or UK but they are about.

I imported a shovelhead engine and gear box from the US, was about $500 airfreight. Arrived in less than a week! There is a 5% duty to pay that's all.

I am guessing that a dealer in the UK could organise shipping, probably 500 pounds or so.

Working in pounds. He's asking 6k. I have seen bikes advertised in UK dealers for 4-5k with papers and maintence done. There is one for 7k that will come with a two year service and has had a fortune spent on it.

I think it will cost quite a bit to sort the bike out. I'm going to offer somewhere in the region of 4k. Otherwise I may as well get a sorted machine shipped out.

The bike is not starting, it's in the shop, I still haven't seen it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Starting with a GBP 4,000 offer seems about right to me. Last year I bought a 2001 996 Mono in the US for the equivalent of GBP 5200, but with 700 total miles, tires replaced, belts replaced, and oil change. Completely standard, showroom new condition with some odds and ends like a paddock stand thrown in. Dealer receipts were provided for the work. FWIW.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts