Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the opportunity to buy a 900ss , with low 6500 miles , has been in a low speed crash
( mostly cosmetic) for cheap cheap $$!
However ....... problem .....

there are NO keys!

What’s required to replace parts to get it back to go time?

Thanks !

·
Registered
305 Posts
Shocking it may sound, but this actually works. Because mine had really worn out ignition lock cylinder, this is what I have now. Just make sure that you get the right one, they have both for carby bike and for ie.

·
Registered
961 Posts
or contact Nick @ Black label mechanica in FL he may have an OEM set, it will be more expensive then the Chinese crap but you get what you pay for

·
Registered
961 Posts
Or a good locksmith can impression a key for you

·
Registered
961 Posts
I'll be honest with you -I have no idea lol

·
Registered
961 Posts
NO chip in a 99. keyless gas cap and a toggle switch and you are a racer.
Dont forget the tape masking off most of the tach lol

·
Excel Addict
5,249 Posts
You will then have the issue of how to get the gas tank cap out.
There are screws under the cap that can only be removed with the cap open.
Seat lock will be similar issue as the seat needs to be removed to get to it and that can only happen if you can unlock seat. Catch 22
Personally I would be calling a locksmith or take it to some dodgy neighbourhood and have someone pick the seat lock, so you can then take it to a locksmith with Ducati key blanks!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Shocking it may sound, but this actually works. Because mine had really worn out ignition lock cylinder, this is what I have now. Just make sure that you get the right one, they have both for carby bike and for ie.
Its the cost that is so stunning here!
All that for a tadge over $50?
Is it any good?
I swapped mine for a second hand set however only wanted the fuel cap and swapped the tumblers ( Keys worked just the fuel cap seal had perished)
Not sure I paid much less than this!

·
Registered
961 Posts
It's Cheap---notice I did not say inexpensive, It's from China. I have not tried those I am sure someone here has, my concern would be you install them and your out riding-- you need fuel--you stop put the key in the gas cap & that really high quality Chinese pot metal in the lock assembly breaks & you cant open the gas cap----Now what do you do???. It's a Ducati not a Chinese scooter personally I would find a good used set of OEM parts and install those, yes it will cost a little more but you know it's right. Or again call a locksmith and let them make a couple of key's for you for the locks you already have. Thats my opo

·
Registered
305 Posts
Its the cost that is so stunning here!
All that for a tadge over $50?
Is it any good?
I swapped mine for a second hand set however only wanted the fuel cap and swapped the tumblers ( Keys worked just the fuel cap seal had perished)
Not sure I paid much less than this!
When I got the bike, it was missing the rear seat latch key cylinder (the PO told me that it just popped off). And annoyingly, the ignition cylinder was really worn out that it took a great bit of fettling to turn on or off the ignition (it wasn't the key, one of them was new). So I searched, and for life of me, I could not find the complete matching OEM set, so this is what I found and decided to use. One thing though - I wanted to keep the Elephant on the fuel cap, so I had it keyed to fit the new key. It works fine, really. Quality-wise? Honestly, I'm not sure which is worse, the 90s Italian, or the 21st century Chinese. I took the Chinese fuel filler apart side by side with the original (was trying to swap the barrel, didn't work, has slightly different design), and neither looked to be better nor worse than the other.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the great info Guys ! I bought the bike this AM , have it home tomorrow evening! Low speed dirt crash , purely cosmetic , original owner , "race" eco and Ducati "performance"cans , original cans and eco come with. Be patient with me there will be plenty of questions!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I
I have the opportunity to buy a 900ss , with low 6500 miles , has been in a low speed crash
( mostly cosmetic) for cheap cheap $$!
However ....... problem .....

there are NO keys!

What’s required to replace parts to get it back to go time?

Thanks !
I have the very same bike and had the very same problem. I ordered a kit with all three (gas cap, ignition switch and storage lock with matching key). the storage lock cylinder did not match so I put the new tumblers in the old lock cylinder to match the new key, something I have done many times in the auto industry. If this happens to you and you do not fell comfortable doing this take both the old and new one to any lock smith and ask them to "re-code" the cylinder, they will know what you mean! PS: I paid about $65 for the kit.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts