Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys- i'm new to this site, tho i've been on ducati index for a coupla years. i had a mishap last may, and didn't realise i cracked my tank at the hinge plate for awhile, so after bandaiding it for a coupla months (waiting for rain to end my riding season) i took the tank off and put numbered adhesive tags on the hoses. it took me a coupla more months to get the tank in to a welder, who humveed the whole hinge plate to the tank and even welded struts from the hinge flanges to the tank for extra side-to-side support. but when i went back into my metal shed where my bike had been setting for 2-3 months, the humidity of the rainy season had soaked my numbering tags off the hoses. i think i have them on correctly, as it starts up and runs, but i noticed i'm getting more of a vacuum in the tank than i recall.

facing forward, starting from the right side of the tank, i have in the #1 position a large diameter hose that has a white plastic band on it. #2 is a hose of the same diameter as #1, but it has a yellow plastic band on it (marked with what could be interpreted as a gas pump icon), #3 is a small diameter hose that goes to the overflow in the gas cap assembly, and closest to the center of the tank, #4 is a medium diameter hose that goes to the other hole (with a rubber boot) in the gas cap assembly.

i'm confident #3 and #4 are hooked up right, because i remember the small and medium hose locations, but because #1 and #2 are the same heavier hose diameter, i can't recall the respective locations.

when i tip the tank back and remove the #1 and #2 hoses, i believe the #2 nipple pours gas consistently and #1 pours gas for a few seconds. i'm at work now so i can't check that, but i bet this information could help me determine the correct order

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
just the (perceived) extra vacuum pressure after running the bike in idle for a few minutes... i'm having a sprag sprocket spring problem which makes starting it kind of a crap shoot, but i'll be riding it down to my shop this weekend and just wanted to be sure i wasn't going to vacuum suck my tank into a crushed can. i figured if it ran for a few minutes i had the hoses right, but thanks for your confirmation of my hose locations.

·
Registered
401 Posts
If you're getting "extra" vacuum make sure your vent tube isn't crimped.
It crimps easier than you might think. Doesn't like to return to it's original position once you lower the tank.
If crimped enough, it will "implode" your tank, been there done that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts