Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Without trying to start a battery discussion. I need to replace my 1999 900SS battery. I do not need a light weight track battery, I would like something close to the 16 Amp hour rating.
A good place to purchase one would be great. Most places only sell for 2001 and up which I presume takes a lower rated battery.
I'm at work so can anyone give me the battery box dimensions.
I'm looking at the Odyssey PC680 or PC680MJ-P will either of these fit?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just ordered an Odyssey PC680 from the batterystore.com
Looks like it will fit and terminals are correct.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I have the PC680 on my 1000.

The bike starts slightly better compared to the standard battery, but don't expect miracles (although this depends on many other things, not only the battery). I'm sure the standard battery would struggle with the high compression pistons I now have on the bike. The PC680 copes fine! It also keeps its charge for great periods of time and so far I'm happy with it.

Some not so good things:

--weight: 7kg :eek:
--size: I wish it was a little bit smaller. I removed the big plastic fuse holder because the battery is wider than the standard one. There's just enough space in the battery tray to fit the little fuse box next to the battery.
--terminals: not the same as the standard battery on my SS. I had to move the battery cables a bit but now it fits alright.
--price: ouch!

Recommended?? Yes!! :):cool:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Put an SBK battery in my Superlight. 1.5 lbs instead of 8.75lbs. Cheapest way to shave 7+ lbs off at about $250. Here's the link:

http://www.motowheels.com/italian/myProducts.cfm?parentcategoryid=915|Batteries and%20Battery%20Accessories&productID=6814&showDet ail=1&categoryID=915|Batteries%20and%20Battery%20A ccessories&vendoridtodisplay=0&filterFor=&collecti on=

Connection to bike is clunky, but it works. The battery comes with leads and eyelets attached, so you have to bolt it to the existing leads on the bike, then either tape it for insulation (yuk!) or shrink wrap around the bolts (what I did). It would be a lot cleaner if the SBK had terminals like other batteries so you could just bolt the existing leads to the unit. I asked them and they said they wanted a 'universal' battery that would work in all things. I guess.

Only issue is, I get my battery warning light coming on at idle sporadically, sometimes (-1000 rpm). Anybody else experience this?

S

Without trying to start a battery discussion. I need to replace my 1999 900SS battery. I do not need a light weight track battery, I would like something close to the 16 Amp hour rating.
A good place to purchase one would be great. Most places only sell for 2001 and up which I presume takes a lower rated battery.
I'm at work so can anyone give me the battery box dimensions.
I'm looking at the Odyssey PC680 or PC680MJ-P will either of these fit?

Thanks in advance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts