Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay new problems have crept up with my poor ducky. I am having issues starting her. Here is what has been done past couple weeks.

1. Had a clutch problem. So i had a shop cgange out the clutch plates. All was good for a time but the last friction plate kept slipping out and clutch lever was acting starnge. Well turns out i blew out the o-ring in slave clutch. So i order new slave.

2. While waiting for new slave and since i had extra money sitting around i decided to order adifferent tank since old tank had an issue sealing and continuously leaked. Since i was doing that and previous owner did horrible job painting her...i decided to paint her and she looks fabulous.

3. Alright ao at this point its been two weeks since ahe was started. Once i put her back together on thursday...she took a bit to start and it was like the battery was weak bit eventually she did start. Didnt ride on thursday...but decided i was gonna ride friday evening...battery was super weak and bike wouldnt start...so no ride friday. Saturday a tow truck happened to be in the area so i asked if he had jumper cables...he had a jumper box...well she fired right up with the aid of the jump. She idled for a bit...he drove away and she stalled. Upon trying to start again no dice...cranking seemed weak like weak battery.

4. Saturday (same day as bike started for a bit) started trouble ahooting. Took battery to advance auto and asked them to charge. Got battery back and reconnected. No dice. Checked fuses...good. Checked relays under seat...fuel pump clicks the other doesnt (changed relay that didnt click). Still no start. So i buy new battery...still no start. When i turn on ignition both fuel pump relay will click and other relay under seat. But if i turn off ignition and turn back on fuel pump relay clicks but other does not...if i unplug other relay and plug back in then turn on ignition the other relay under seat will click.

Soooo....i had charging problems last year and did the fix to the white plug behind battery tray found in halls of wisdom. So thats ruled out so far.

Right now if i turn on ignition...lights and everything turn on...fuel pump primes. As i hit start button...engine turns over and sounds like starter is turning over but atill no start.

I plan on checking all connections and cleaning. I also plan on pulling and checking spark plugs. Is there anything else i should be looking for that im missing?

Soory for the book just wanted to get as much detail as possible.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
To add just one more note....when i was thinking about going out on a ride friday night i did ashort test ride in neighborhood. Everything checked out fine. Then a hour later i went to go on my ride friday and thats when she wouldnt start and it was like the battery was daed. Then saturday i charged battery and eventually bit the bullet and bought new one.

·
Registered
128 Posts
How is the VoltageRegulator? If you can get it started, check the volts across the batt to see if it is charging. You will have to be above idle. Also, you said the bike started well from a jump...that is a clue that the typical Ducati with weak start and battery terminals. Go to Napa and have them build you a set of terminals; disconnect the ground, the hot to the start solenoid and the terminal from solenoid to starter. Replace these with 8ga copper. New connectors and away you go. Very cheap and easy, and then your bike will start, but still keep tabs on that VR and whether it is charging the batt.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How is the VoltageRegulator? If you can get it started, check the volts across the batt to see if it is charging. You will have to be above idle. Also, you said the bike started well from a jump...that is a clue that the typical Ducati with weak start and battery terminals. Go to Napa and have them build you a set of terminals; disconnect the ground, the hot to the start solenoid and the terminal from solenoid to starter. Replace these with 8ga copper. New connectors and away you go. Very cheap and easy, and then your bike will start, but still keep tabs on that VR and whether it is charging the batt.
Will give this a shot tomorrow and update...sounds like a start...the battery is brand new so for now im ruling out vr until i get her started and check with meter

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
*j

Is it possible its the start solenoid? If so what would be a good part number i could get locally ie at napa while im there having them build cables?

·
Registered
794 Posts
If it were the starter solenoid then it wouldn't turn over when you pushed the starter button. If sometimes it won't turn over when you push the starter then I would suspect either the starter button, the plug on the back of the starter solenoid, or the solenoid itself.

http://desmotimes.com/product160.htm

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Sounds like the exact same problem my bikes has. http://www.ducati.ms/forums/56-superbikes/134677-strange-starting-issue.html

Bike runs if relays are disconnected, but only pump relay clicks after key is cycles and no start.

If your symptoms match mine, you might have some burned ground circuits in the ECU. That's what I've narrowed my issue down to and yours seems similar.

Hopefully it's not that though. Curious to see what your fix is as it may help me out. Good luck!

·
Registered
128 Posts
I don't think you can get a Start Solenoid for your Ducati at Napa, however Desmotimes sells them on his website,(55-100$) depending on the year.

·
Old Wizard
3,006 Posts
Check the connection to the starter motor. The rubber boot collects water that corrodes it, limiting the available current for turning-over the engine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts