Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new to me 748 will expel white smoke after I shut it off. It only comes out of the left exhaust. It does have a slightly sweet smell. And it doesn't expel much smoke. I've read a bunch of posts on this forum that leads me to believe it's leaking coolant into the engine. But is it weird that it only happens when I turn the bike off? Also I've only run it for short jaunts. 10-20 minutes at a time. I've read that if you run it for those short periods, that might be the cause of some smoking. But I've been nervous to run it for longer periods because of the potential that it might have coolant in the engine. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
5,636 Posts
Run it longer to burn moisture / condensation out of the exhaust built up from short runs. If you were leaking coolant, I'd expect it to happen when running. You would also be loosing coolant in the reservoir. How's the level?

This time of year, in most of the country just starting to recover from winter, it is still chilly and things like this can happen. You may also see a milky gunk in the oil sight glass. Same deal. Run the bike. Not just up to temp in the garage, but a good hour or more of riding at temp to burn off condensation that forms with a warm engine (or exhaust) cooling in a cold garage.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reassurance. I was picturing a cracked cylinder or head. I'll take it for a longer ride and report back.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts