Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright I put my racebike down in the dirt so I am trying to take apart the clutch assembly to clean all the oil and debris from it.

I have a corse style open clutch with a solid reinforced cover but it slid on the clutch side into the grass.

I got everything off without any trouble, cover, clutch pack, inner basket hub and outer basket bolts. I expected the litter basket to just pull off, but it doesn't. I looked at the exploded diagram and removed a cylindrical bushing with o-ring but it will not come off. I thought the large oil seal might be holding it on so I tried pulling it out....no dice. I tried cutting it out, and got half of it out still not pulling out.

I am hesitant to grab the basket with a couple exhaust spring pullers. It sliced off smoothly for just a little bit and feels like a circlip is holding it. I can see a bearing behind it moving with it.

And I missing something.....other than a better mechanic, could a aftermarket barnett basket "rust" to the inner piece it was bolted to??!

Any ideas?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
If you have the hub and nut and plates and basket bolts and everything removed, the basket should just slide straight off the shaft. Does it rotate on the shaft? I'd guess you've damaged something if it's frozen in place, but in any case it might be time to use some force. ;)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The basket still turns, but somehow it still attached to the primary gear even with the bolts removed.

I'm stumped......I think I will print out the diagram and go visit my local tech and see what I can find out. I really do not want to load up the entire bike.

Aaarrrrg.

·
Registered
654 Posts
The 8 bolts would have had some type of sealer/bond on
them when they were fitted , some could have went between
the basket rear face and the gear/face if the installer went ott with it, it can take a bit to
crack the basket loose.

brian.

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
As Koch said, try a bit of force or tap around the basket with a rubber mallet. I had the same issue with my 999 and it appears that Ducati uses Threebond sealant on the bolts that thread into the clutch-crank gear which cause the basket to stick. It will come off.....

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all, rubber mallet did the trick.....unbelievable but true.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts