Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this topic has been discussed a bit here and there. But I'm not sure what my best solution is.

I have a 1998 ST2. It has the 'dog leg' kick stand. It MUST be perhaps the worst kick stand ever put on a motorcycle... It's amazing that even the manual says not to leave it on the side stand for a long time... Not what I'd call reassuring.

I've decided against using the replacement bolt that eliminates the automatic retraction. If you forget, you could crack your engine mount and/or crash. Both are bad options.

Couple of questions.

1. For those that have the stock dog leg stand. Ever have your bike just fall over? It feels REALLY rocky.

2. If you have replaced your side stand with a straight one. What year stand should I look for and does it feel any better when it's in use?

I love this bike but I'm in absolute awe that this piece of machinery was given such a piece of shit stand. Using the center stand is okay, but for a quick stop somewhere it's an ordeal. Not to mention if you are somewhere with lots of hills the side stand may not really work that well.

Thanks for any tips.

·
Mr Leakered
8,863 Posts
This may be the long way to help you. I'm not sure if the 98 ST2 had an adjustable rear link, but since I lengthened mine to improve turn in, I have found that I can rock my ST up onto the centerstand without getting off the saddle. My sidestand sees very little use since I did this.

There used to be some aftermarket folks who made sidestands. I know Cycle Cat did, but they are out of business. You may want to search around.

If you are parked on a hill, leave the bike in first gear, stop the engine, and let the drive train take up any slack. That way the sidestand is not supporting any additional load. A sort of parking brake. ;)

Also, I believe is saw a used ST4 sidestand that was posted on ebay.

I do find that mine is less than postively locked when it is down and retracts a bit too easily and quietly. I would like to try a heavier spring someday.

Good luck.

·
Registered
113 Posts
On my 748 I have the Evoluzione sidestand bypass. It will let me crank the bike with side stand down but if I put it into first gear with the sidestand down it kills the engine. Therefore I can't drive off with side stand down. If it worked the same on your ST (I'm not sure it would but someone will chime in I'm sure) then you could install that bypass and the bolt to eliminate the auto retracting sidestand and you would be good to go!

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
113 Posts
Do you know if your stand is switched now or is it just the retractable stand? The bypass switch is super easy to install...if I remember it was a clipon connector to the neutral switch...done. Never had an issue with it but understand your concern having just sorted some electrical issues.

·
Mr Leakered
8,863 Posts
That is the side stand I saw.

Being that the engine cases should be similar, I'd be more than happy to measure the distance between my mounting holes and side stand length to confirm. My service manual says that the bolts are M10x1.5.

In my case, I had a sidestand bypass that decided to stop funtioning. Since, I didn't install it I had no instructions to trace the issue. So, to allow me to easily warm up the ST, I just jumpered the sidestand switch all together. My pre-start check ensures the bike isn't started in gear with me not on it. ;)

I add an pic of my side stand.

Have a good one.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not sure if a straight stand will work now that I see yours. I think a straight stand would hit my pipes, have a look:

·
Mr Leakered
8,863 Posts
+1 That's were mine sits when retracted.

That did remind me that with the "newer" style you can only adjust the shifter down so far before it contacts the side stand. I know, I know, GREAT! ;)

BTW, nice pic and nice ST, SE84. What prompted the change to the 2004?

Have a good one.

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
Any ST2, 3, or 4 stand from 1999 on up will bolt up and work on a 1998. The engine mounting holes are identical. The angle of the bracket is different from the 1998 and the newer ones. Look closely at the 2 photos. The newer stand pivots outward (and not straight back) and the tip of the straight stand ends up just below the driver's footpeg. That one on eBay would work. Maybe write to the gent and make him an offer.

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
BTW, nice pic and nice ST, SE84. What prompted the change to the 2004?
I just wanted the extra goodies...better headlight, taller windscreen, adjustable ergos...

I do like the trip computer too, makes short work of when to gas up.

·
Mr Leakered
8,863 Posts
That's cool.

Funny thing, after a little incident earlier this year, I cut down my windscreen to just below the stock height. I was surprised how much better it was. My ST came with the touring height screen. The only down fall was cars tossing dirt bits and such into my neck. ;) I just installed a stock height Zero Gravity shield. Much better.

Have a good one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts