Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched the forum but can't find the answer I'm looking for.

I have a 1998 ST2 with almost 20,000 miles. When the tank is full, or even after I've ridden about 80 miles, fuel sometimes bubbles out of the keyhole on the gas cap. I know not to overfill the tank, but as I said, even when I know there is a gallon or two used, it will still do this sometimes.

Any way to stop this? Is this 'normal'?

thanks.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Probably a clogged vent line. 2 of them run through the tank. They go from the cap to the bottom plate/fuel pump assembly. From there they connect on the outside of the tank. Check for the obvious pinched hoses etc on the outside. If that isn't the case, the lines in the tank are probably degraded/clogged.

·
Still needs a life.
12,618 Posts
Make sure the gas cap has "clicked" shut. After closing the cap and removing the key, push down on the cap until it clicks.

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
Yes, REALLY push hard... I do it TWICE. Once to get they key to go back most of the way, and then again until the key is 100% back to the insert/remove position.

·
The days are getting longer!
8,278 Posts
I have a new one laying around if you might be in need of a replacement cap :D I would try blowing out the vent lines as well as making sure the cap is closed securely. Just remember to block off one of the lines while blowing air out the other line. I would not use to much air pressure as you could blow off a connection in the tank.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For a recall such as that, being a 1998 is that something that a ducati dealer is still required to fix at their expense?

Problem for me is that a good/certified true ducati place is many hours away.

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
I would call the dealership that you're planning to visit, and mention the problem along with the NHTSA recall. The dealership should be able to use your VIN, and double-check the Ducati database to see if this recall has ever been done on your ST2 (assuming you bought this used, and some items may have been done).

Also note that they should be able to check your VIN to see if any/all Ducati campaigns have been performed. These campaigns are "silent" recalls or upgrades. A good dealer will be cooperative and be able to give you the proper answers, and provide the repairs at no charge. Note they might have to pre-order some of the items involved...hence it's best to call and get this set-up ahead of time.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Excellent advice. Will get on this ASAP. Thanks. Free ducati work. Not something I've had much of!

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
FYI: I glanced at the info on the NHTSA web site regarding 1998 ST2, and the gas leak they describe is "inside the tank". I think they're referring to the fuel line campain that Ducati would perform.
Also note that on my 1998 ST2, my VIN was "out of range" for the fuel line campain, so they didn't do this on my bike. BUT, it did fail one or 2 years after that !! It was the typical pressure line inside the tank that had split.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts