Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I only have a manual for a 2000 MY which lists the fuel capacity at 5.548. Anyone know if the 1998 year holds the same amount? My guess is it's the same tank?

My low fuel light comes on with roughly 1.5 left in the tank.

·
Life is too short to worry !
2,650 Posts
All the tanks are identical to my knowledge but not sure if the internal pump/filters have been changed over the years.
FYG - I ran totally dry one evening when got caught out by a closed fuel station and when filled her up she took exactly 20 Lts to the bottom of the filler tube.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. Figured they wouldn't have changed the tank design. So, to play it safe, I'll assume I have 5 gallons (18/19 liters) and consider it a bonus for the last .5 if needed.

Now, if I can just figure out how people are getting 50mpg. I only seem to average 37 with moderate riding. My fuel light comes on after about 130 miles (210km's). Which I realize still in theory should leave me with almost 2 more gallons.

·
2,650 Posts
From bone dry to totally filled, 22 liters, 21 of which are usable.

Tom
So are the internals different as my manual gives 21L , perhaps the pumps are different or they gain a bit of space on the underside of the tank due to the different heads ?

·
Still needs a life.
12,619 Posts
Now, if I can just figure out how people are getting 50mpg. I only seem to average 37 with moderate riding. My fuel light comes on after about 130 miles (210km's). Which I realize still in theory should leave me with almost 2 more gallons.
I believe the four valve models get better mpg than the two or three valve models. I rode to Utah and back with Paul Geller in 2003 when he had an '00 ST2 and I had an 01-ST4. My bike got noticeably better mileage than his, but don't ask me why.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Thanks. Figured they wouldn't have changed the tank design. So, to play it safe, I'll assume I have 5 gallons (18/19 liters) and consider it a bonus for the last .5 if needed.

I have the same issue on my 98. The fuel light goes on with about 2 gallons left. And my mileage is similar to yours as well. I did about 300 miles with a friend who has an ST3, and he was getting consistently better mileage than me.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
EricT, what do you suppose your mileage is on average? I've only ridden with an empty load so far. Nothing terribly aggressive, a mix of rural highways from 40-70mph and am only seeing about 37-43 at best...

·
Registered
133 Posts
EricT, what do you suppose your mileage is on average? I've only ridden with an empty load so far. Nothing terribly aggressive, a mix of rural highways from 40-70mph and am only seeing about 37-43 at best...
Well, on that particular trip I mentioned, I think I was only getting around 33-34 mpg, but we had 30+ mph winds to deal with most of the way. So I think I am getting high 30's in normal conditions. I don't watch it all that closely, I just reset my trip odometer when I fill up and try to get gas again before it hits 150 :p

My friend on the ST3 was putting in about 1/2 gallon less than me each time we stopped for fuel. But now that I think about it, I outweigh the little girlie-man by about 70 pounds, so that has some effect as well.

·
Chilehead
6,984 Posts
So are the internals different as my manual gives 21L , perhaps the pumps are different or they gain a bit of space on the underside of the tank due to the different heads ?
I've got a non-OEM filler cap assembly, perhaps that allows me to stuff in more fuel?

Tom

·
Premium Member
6,919 Posts
2002 manual says 21 litres including 4 litres reserve.

Craig

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wonder how common this is for ALL vehicles. My car for example. I get 100 miles on the 1st quarter of tank. At 1/2 I'm at 150. At empty I'm at about 260. If you went by the first 1/4 and carried that over you'd think you were going to get 400 miles per tank. At VERY best I've reached about 280 in my car, leaving about .5 gallons inside, about 12-15 miles left...

I guess the second half goes quicker in bikes and cars...

·
2,650 Posts
Wonder how common this is for ALL vehicles. My car for example. I get 100 miles on the 1st quarter of tank. At 1/2 I'm at 150. At empty I'm at about 260. If you went by the first 1/4 and carried that over you'd think you were going to get 400 miles per tank. At VERY best I've reached about 280 in my car, leaving about .5 gallons inside, about 12-15 miles left...

I guess the second half goes quicker in bikes and cars...
Perhaps the different indicated level is due to the mechanical method used which would be affected by the shape of the tank (i.e.slimmer at the bottom)
If they could utilise an electronic monitoring (eg.motogp style) then it would perhaps be possible to obtain a more accurate and reliable reading but in the meantime once you 'know' what happens then you can refill accordingly.

Regarding fuel co-sump I believe its all about throttle openings , whilst the engine is capable of dragging itself into a more generous area of the rev-band its better to ensure you are in a rsponsive gear first requiring less throttle.......Just my opinion of course.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We shall see. Heading out in a few hours on a multi-day trip. Saddle bags are loaded with about 15 pound each. Nothing more. Traveling light. Hope I don't need a tent/sleeping bag.... Doing a BIG loop from Tahoe to the northern coast of CA, to Carmel, then through yosemite and back up. Last leg might get cut short depending on work-that four letter word.... I will keep track of my fuel consumption for sure.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Sounds like you are ready to roll. Have a great trip and enjoy the ride. Don't forget ride report with pics when you get back home!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts