Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have posted a little in the st forum but thought I'd reach a wider audience here and find some additional help.

I recently bought a 1998 ST2 with 19,000 miles on it.

My first ride the bike went dead on the highway. The tach went crazy to 11,000(not the engine, tach only) all the dash lights blinked and then silence. Pulled off the highway. NOTHING, no clicking or anything at all when I tried to restart.

I took the bike to the shop, they replace the starter regulator and thought that was the problem. Same thing happened again on my next ride. Bike is back in the shop now and my mechanic is troubleshooting the issue. Not sure what to do. New battery, all connections are clean and tight.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

·
Home of vortex tuning
1,648 Posts
I'd look for broken battery cables inside the insulation, the ground wire first.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That has all been checked. There is a 'gremlin' somewhere and it's a serious problem. I have zero confidence in my bike. I haven't successfully ridden it more than 45 miles yet. BUMMER doesn't even begin to sum it up. At a loss as to what to do.

·
Registered
211 Posts
tahoe,
tell your duc mechanic/electrician to check the 5 wire relay located on the left hand side of the st2 headlight sub assy. in your post you did not mention if the lights , fuel pump, etc, were working after the incident,but if there was no juice(12v) , ignition, lights etc , the relay is probably suspect. i had a similar problem on my 2002 st2 that i traced back to the # 03 relay on your bike's electrical diagram .common ducati problem .

here's something you can rig to get you home in case the thing messes up again. a length(2 or 3 ft) of # 16 wire (household lamp wire) will be needed and you will have to remove the left plastic side cover to expose the fusebox. strip one end of the wire and CAREFULLY connect one to any 12 v supply , battery, main fuse ,starter relay (supply side), etc , and then connect the other end to the top fuses on your fusebox , one by one . you should hear the fuel pump go off and the dash lights come on . all you are doing is by-passing the suspect relay.
that should also get the bike started and hopefully , return you both home safely.

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
While you're in there (the left side), separate (unplug) the large elect. connector and check for signs of corrosion/gree/oxidation. Clean as necessary. One gent acually found a broken wire inside the shell of this connector. He was thinking of running a jumper wire around this open connection.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks a ton for the information. I hope to speak with my mechanic over the next day or two. There have been a few good suggestions here. Nothing worse than intermittent electrical issues, except intermittent electrical issues on a bike you JUST bought..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts