Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I saw this 1998 SPS on ebay (it was relisted)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Duca...ewItemQQptZUS_motorcycles?hash=item35a457933e

I know this "perfect" bike has the wrong tank/decals, but I was wondering about the triple clamp badge. Mine is stamped into the brass plate while the ebay bike has a raised area which is more machined (and filled in black). Was this changed mid year or something? Didn't they also come with the CF intake runners?

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, the numbered brass plate looks different, but I know Ducati didn't produce perfectly identical models a lot of the time (different shocks and such). I also believe that bike is an SPS. However, I highly doubt that is the "perfect" original tank. Even Ducati wouldn't slap the older two-tone decaled tank on their '98 flagship. It has to be a replacement.

·
Registered
654 Posts
The plate is correct for the bike.
Its silver and the hallmark is in the bottom right corner.

brian.

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As I said, I'm not doubting the legitimacy of its origins, but when the seller claims it to be "perfect", the tank makes you think twice, no?

·
Super Moderator
8,215 Posts
It looks 100% to me. Everything is identical with my #526 916SPS from -98

The number plaque has the exact same look as mine AND as 2 of my friends who also ride 916SPS´s here in Stockholm. No CF airruners where fitted from the factory, but it DOES have a CF airbox with a distinctive weave. CF items from factory on -98 916SPS where
*front fender
*airbox
*underseat heatshield
*numberplate holder
*50mm termignoni racing exhaust cans
EDIT: And V-piece! forgot that..

//amullo

·
Registered
805 Posts
I don't think any 9x6 Ducati came with CF air runners from the factory? Maybe the race machines, but street stuff?

I don't see anything wrong with the tank? Other than the pad to protect it from scratches and the 'made in italy' decal.

Where do these bikes come from anyway; jeez, 5ooo miles in 10 years.. the tires look awfully old..

It's good looking and obviously a piece of motoring history, but to be sure that it's in good running order, everything needs to be checked and so on..

·
Registered
37 Posts
Look at the one on the Advanced Motorsports web site, under the preowned section. There's a 98 SPS there. No emblem on tank just on the fairing. Everything else is the same. Lower miles.

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. Mine has nothing on the tank. If you look at the very last photo, the ebay bike not only has the "Ducati" (and other) decals, but they are in the silver/gold old style of the 97 and earlier bikes. It's side fairings have the correct '98 pewter decals that say only "Ducati" with no number or desmoquatro designation.

Amullo, your bike has the '97 graphics on the tank?

·
Registered
797 Posts
Perfect?

Everyone has a different definition of "perfect" Some may say that a 1026cc kit make the bike "not" pefect, right? a different decal is along the same lines, right? Some may say that carbon intake runners makes the 916sps bike "not" perfect, right?
Different perspectives, that's all.....

FYI.....FBF did change decals on a friend of mines early 916 "race bike", back in the day......

OK, so I saw this 1998 SPS on ebay (it was relisted)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Duca...ewItemQQptZUS_motorcycles?hash=item35a457933e

I know this "perfect" bike has the wrong tank/decals, but I was wondering about the triple clamp badge. Mine is stamped into the brass plate while the ebay bike has a raised area which is more machined (and filled in black). Was this changed mid year or something? Didn't they also come with the CF intake runners?

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think a 1026 kit or extra whatnots make a bike "not original" but not necessarily imperfect. I think a different tank from a different year with different graphics does qualify as imperfect.

FWIW, I actually much prefer the earlier style graphics, but I wouldn't go half old/half new. To me it really sticks out and makes the bike look like a jigsaw puzzle. Maybe I just notice small things, but what if the tank was yellow? It would still be an "original" Ducati tank, but just as much from a different bike.

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK, let's wash away any bit of semantics.

"Did Ducati mount old graphic '97 tanks on some of their flagship '98 SPS's with '98 fairings?"

·
Registered
508 Posts
no... yes....no.... yes.... :)
you have a beater... sell the engine to me!:)

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The ebay bike in question isn't mine.

And no, I'm ok with what the bikes I have. :)

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
"Did Ducati mount old graphic '97 tanks on some of their flagship '98 SPS's with '98 fairings?"
From everything I read there is an early and late model 98 916SPS. I am not aware of body differences, just mechanical and maybe a frame change. However that isn't to say that Ducati used extra 97 parts on the early 98 bikes.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I doubt that the TPG owned Ducati would have put out anything post 1997 with the Cagiva graphics on it. I would guess that the one of the POs of this bike thought the tank looked bare, got a little sticker happy and stuck some of the older, cool Cagiva graphics on it to spice it up. Easy way to find out is to ask him if they had clearcoat on top of them. That gas cap is post '97 because it's missing the elephant logo..........

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Even if it's a clearcoated '97 tank you would switch over the gas cap to preserve the same keys.

·
Super Moderator
8,215 Posts
Amullo, your bike has the '97 graphics on the tank?
Nope.. there are no decals on the tank. Neither does the top fairing have the DUCATI sticker above the headlight like the -97´s did.

And as stated before in the thread, I forgot about the CF V-piece and chainguard fitted to the 916 SPS aswell.. :)

//amullo

1 - 20 of 21 Posts