Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up everyone

Quick background story
About a month and a half ago, I ran out of gas on the highway on my way home from a long ride. My insurance company was acting weird and took a while to get there so I ended up pushing it to the nearest exit and walking a little bit to get gas. After adding gas, I would crank and try to start to no avail, with the power getting weaker and weaker until eventually, it wouldn't crank at all. Eventually, I pushed the bike to the gas station and filled it up all the way but still, no crank, no start. The lights and console still came on, however.

My insurance company finally sent a tow truck to tow my bike to my place.
However, the bike would still not crank or start. The lights and console STILL came on. For the next month or so I researched different things hoping to avoid a high mechanics bill. I tested and changed the fuses, jumped the bike with a pocket jumper and more, and finally ordered new starter relay, thinking that would do the trick. When the starter relay came in, I installed it and heard a slight wiring somewhere in the bike. However, the bike was now completely unresponsive. No lights, no crank, no start, nothing. I thought the battery was dead from sitting around too long so I checked with a multimeter, the reading came back 9.something volts.

I bought and installed a new battery hoping that would do the trick but still no lights, no crank, no start. I've once again checked all fuses (all fine), still have the new starter relay in there, and I am completely lost. I even located the master fuse on the right-hand side of the bike by the positive terminal. That fuse is fine as well.

Quick little sidenote, while my bike was parked (still not cranking or starting) waiting for the starter relay to arrive, it fell from a standstill, (kickstand dug into the ground and it fell. When i picked it up, lights still came on just no start or crank.

I have no idea how to proceed at this point. Any help would be greatly appreciated! The lights and console do not come on, the bike does not crank, start or anything.

Thank You!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Close to the fusebox there should be 2 relays. One is indicator relay, the one besides that, is proberbly something you should look at. It´s a 5 pin relay(if original, it will be yellow!)

That relay open and closes the electrical circuit(As I understand it.....) If it is broken there should be no power at all!

It is number 13 on this picture:https://www.stein-dinse.biz/bilder/auto/breite_800/343730554420.jpg

If this dosent work. Then I am sorry to have wasted your time. Hope you get it to go again.

Martin

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
get a test light, and follow the power until it stops. the yellow relay gets the on signal from the ignition switch.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Hi
Check the 40amp main fuse next battery then as you guys say zip tie it then clean the item 6/7on like no you have been sent fuses check for water increase

Can you bypass the starter solenoid from the battery if then it turns over but clanks sprag spring could be shot remove both plugs and try to see if it spins up
Mike st 2

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all your suggestions, Quick update:

I changed out the new starter relay for my old starter relay and once again the bike lights up, horn sounds but bike doesn't crank or start. The battery is brand new, lights and horns are strong. I checked every single fuse and they are all working. Any further advice?

·
Registered
7,375 Posts
My 96 SS died on the xway once and I found the wire going to the regulator had worn through against the frame. Every time I buy a bike, the first time I have an electrical problem I unplug every connector on the bike, clean it, tighten it , or replace it if it doesn’t look good. I always find a few. I also clean the grounding points and single point ground to the battery ground point. Less problems in the long run.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts