Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1998 916 Sps

2259 8
Hi, I am new to the web site. I currently own a 2005 ST3 and a 1998 748 BI. I just got the 748 in Dec after selling my Buell XB9R. I was hoping I would enjoy the bike ( 748 ) as much as the Buell. The problem now is I love these superbikes so much that I am trying to figure how to upgrade the 748 to a 98 SPS I found. The only known problem with the SPS is a tendancy for the motor to just stop running after a short ride. It will restart after it has a chance to cool down. The first owner and the bike shop have not been able to trace down the problem yet. It has the P8 computer. Other then that the bike is in exc condition with 7000k miles. Anybody have a clue here? Are these bikes ( SPS's ) going to hold there value or maybe increase in the future. Anyone have an idea where to find another computer for this thing? Thanks, Tim.
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
HOOTER13 said:
The 1998 SPS cam with the 996cc motor even though Ducati call it a 916 model.
That's all done for Marketing.. That the year the bike sold to the public was still called a nine one six Ducati so it's race bikes followed the same nomenclature. Same thing when the 996R ran a 998cc engine.

·
Banned
2,339 Posts
in the 9xx type bikes, if it's an sp it's 916. (except for a very few rare 955's)
sps is 996
r is testastretta 998
until you get to 999r then it's 999cc with the full monty short stroke donk.

·
Super Moderator
8,320 Posts
A friend of mine has a 916 SP3 (916cc) and he had some problems with the injection together with the P8. It came down to a grounding fault, so start there.

Finding a P8 computer isn´t easy. As i recall, they where only used in 1994 916´s (all) and from 1995 only in 916 SP, SP3 and (996cc) SPS and also 99-00 996 SPS bikes. The 748 SP and SPS uses the P7 box. The problem is that the 996cc 916SPS has dual injectors, and only the P8 can handle that.

There have even been problems with the EU-spec 996S (uses the sps engine in a strada chassie) since they didn´t get the P8 (it was too big)

To find a new P8 I´d try BIG Ducati tuning shops like Ducati Kaemna in Germany or maybe Moto-One in Australia.. Fast by Ferracci might have something..

And all SP3 and SPS bikes will hold there value quite well. Especially if you can find one of the VERY rare 955cc 916SP3´s (but good luck on that..)

·
Super Moderator
8,320 Posts
loony888 said:
all but the first 500 or so 888' had the p8 computer also.that is stradas and SPs from 93.
Ofcourse. I was hung up on the 916 models.
Since the P8´s atre Chip users.. Any P8 can be programmed for your bike using the chip you have.

Otherwise.. FIM can help you find the best chip.

//amullo

·
Registered
190 Posts
HOOTER13 said:
Hi, I am new to the web site. I currently own a 2005 ST3 and a 1998 748 BI. I just got the 748 in Dec after selling my Buell XB9R. I was hoping I would enjoy the bike ( 748 ) as much as the Buell. The problem now is I love these superbikes so much that I am trying to figure how to upgrade the 748 to a 98 SPS I found. The only known problem with the SPS is a tendancy for the motor to just stop running after a short ride. It will restart after it has a chance to cool down. The first owner and the bike shop have not been able to trace down the problem yet. It has the P8 computer. Other then that the bike is in exc condition with 7000k miles. Anybody have a clue here? Are these bikes ( SPS's ) going to hold there value or maybe increase in the future. Anyone have an idea where to find another computer for this thing? Thanks, Tim.
Hi there, Are you getting any pressure build up behind the gas cap ? IE after the bike shuts down try opening the cap to check for a vacume.

It may also be a fuel pump problem as early models where prone to faliure. I would drop the pump and check for debris and / or split fuel return lines to the pump.

Another thing to check is that your rectifier is not getting super hot and shorting out (they evetually burn out) You will normally smell this as a sickly rubber melting smell. Visually check it by the right side near the battery.

Let us know hwat you find - Phil

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.