Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What’s up guys? I’ve been a forum member for a short time now. Just been lurking and gathering info, but this is my first real post and I’m having a problem with my Duc that I'm hoping someone can help me with?

Short Version: Put the key in the ignition and turn, no lights. Flick the switch to “Run” and the fuel pump doesn’t prime. Replaced the battery, checked the fuses and still nothing.

The Full Story: I’m a new Duc owner of a few months now. The 748 has been running strong the entire time. No problems what so ever. I gave her a bath last weekend and got her all nice and shiny. While at it I decided to correct a few things. When I bought the bike it had a K&N oil breather filter on it. It was fairly dirty and I broke it when I removed it, so I decided to replace it with the stock overflow bottle along with the air box. The air box had a few cracks, some major and it was just easier to replace the entire box than try to fix the cracks. So I took off the tail section, gas tank and the air box. Unfortunately for me the air box that I bought was for a 996R/998 and didn’t fit my 748 (that's another story). So I reinstalled everything along with the stock oil breather overflow bottle that I picked up. Put the key in the ignition, turn and nothing!? No Headlights, no instrument panel lights, nothing! Flicked the switch to “Run” expecting the fuel pump to prime….nothing! So I removed the right side fairing and started checking fuses. All are good. I already had a second battery on the charger so I replaced the battery and still nothing. What am I missing? What could I have accidentally disconnect?

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
when you removed the seat and reinstalled, did you touch the ECU wires. The ecu is under the seat, maybe some cables are loose under there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I can't offer any advice but if you are planning to, or have to replace any parts, I will be parting out my 748s. The bike has been upgraded to the hilt to include the big bore kit so if you need anything, feel free to send me a PM. Here is a list of parts that I currently have on the bike:

Dymag Carbon Fiber Magnesium Wheels
Ohlins Steering Damper
Ohlins Front Forks
853 Big Bore Kit
Arrow Rear Sets
Carbon Fiber Shark Exhaust
Custom Triple Tree Cover
Carbon Fiber Mirrors
Carbon Fiber Front Fender
Carbon Fiber Clutch Cover
Carbon Fiber Front Fairing
Carbon Fiber Gas Cap
Carbon Fiber Airbox
Brembo Front Brake and Rotor Kit
Brembo Rear Brake and Rotor Kit

·
Registered
14 Posts
Your fuel pump and electricals should work. Recommend you chase down the electricals almost exclusively. This won't have that much to do w/ ur airbox or whatever.

I'd start by checking the battery is still good and charged. Look for ldisconnected, oose or shorted wires.

Good luck.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
when you removed the seat and reinstalled, did you touch the ECU wires. The ecu is under the seat, maybe some cables are loose under there.
Not intentionally, but I plan to look everything over again when I get home.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your fuel pump and electricals should work. Recommend you chase down the electricals almost exclusively. This won't have that much to do w/ ur airbox or whatever.
Yeah, I don't think it has anything to do with the air box either, but maybe during uninstall/reinstall I accidentally yanked something out or shorted something during the wash? Dunno?

I'd start by checking the battery is still good and charged. Look for ldisconnected, oose or shorted wires.
Good luck.
The battery was the second thing I checked; after the fuses. I'll check for loose wires tonight. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,150 Posts
check the 'run' (yellow) relay by the battery, the two relays under the seat and also the two fuses at the rear of the subframe - one of these is for the fuel pump and on my bike the fuse melted.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok guys, I think I found it. How common is a bad ignition switch? Got home yesterday and broke out the meter and checked the battery, all good. Triple checked all of the fuses including the ones under the seat, all good. I removed all three relays next to the battery, cleaned the contacts and reinstalled with some dielectric grease. I did the same with the ignition switch connector. I checked and cleaned all of the grounds. But after all of that I still had no power to anything? At that point, I removed the ignition from the mount to see if any wires had come loose or shorted. But that thing is pretty solid and there isn’t much to see unless you completely disassemble the thing. It looked good from the outside so I just reinstalled it. Low and behold, I now have power again and the bike started right up!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts