Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to buy a 1997 M600 that's been sitting in a shed for a while, the owner tells me that the lower plug 'blows' at very low temperatures. When I asked him what he meant he seem to indicate that the plug fails, but doesn't damage the thread or anything like that.

I get the feeling he's not very cluey about bikes :)

Anyway, the nice bloke is letting me have the bike for $1k Aus so I'm definitely buying it, but I'm just wondering what would cause the lower plug to fail at outside temperatures around freezing.

He also says it has an electrical fault but a thread about 30 pages back indicates it may be the regulator, so I'm going to try that.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I'm going to take a stab in the dark and say that he might mean fouling the plug. This could be lots of reasons for happening.

Where abouts are you? If you want it looked at just shout out, or alternativly when you get it home, change all the filters let us know how it is going, and then if you need more help, can step you through diagnosing the fault.

Looks like a brilliant find. :)

Mike

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm going to take a stab in the dark and say that he might mean fouling the plug. This could be lots of reasons for happening.

Where abouts are you? If you want it looked at just shout out, or alternativly when you get it home, change all the filters let us know how it is going, and then if you need more help, can step you through diagnosing the fault.

Looks like a brilliant find. :)

Mike
Cheers!
I'm in Tasmania (yes, I need two helmets) and one of the worries I've had is that as its been sitting for 18 months I'm concerned that all the oil will have run out of the top pot and that starting it might scour it. I was going to do a full oil change but I want to ensure that that I can get some oil into that top pot and head.

·
Registered
54 Posts
to get oil circulated through the motor, you can:
using an air nozzle, spray around the sparkplugs to blow out any debris that could be nearby, then remove both sparkplugs. blowing the debris away first will keep any foreign debris from getting into the cylinders during this next part. Unplug both connectors from both ignition modules (on either side of the coils). This disables the ignition system, and removing the plugs will put less strain on the starter and will allow the motor to spin faster; crank the motor for 10 seconds, let it sit for 30 seconds, crank for 10 seconds, let it sit for 30 seconds, crank for 10 seconds, let it sit for 30 seconds, keep doing this til you've cranked it maybe 6 or 7 times. oil should now have flowed throughout the entire motor

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
to get oil circulated through the motor, you can:
using an air nozzle, spray around the sparkplugs to blow out any debris that could be nearby, then remove both sparkplugs. blowing the debris away first will keep any foreign debris from getting into the cylinders during this next part. Unplug both connectors from both ignition modules (on either side of the coils). This disables the ignition system, and removing the plugs will put less strain on the starter and will allow the motor to spin faster; crank the motor for 10 seconds, let it sit for 30 seconds, crank for 10 seconds, let it sit for 30 seconds, crank for 10 seconds, let it sit for 30 seconds, keep doing this til you've cranked it maybe 6 or 7 times. oil should now have flowed throughout the entire motor
Thanks heaps :)

·
Registered
188 Posts
It'll also be good to turn it over like motoxman described, as it has a vacuum operated fuel pump/ tap and it needs engine vacuum to start working. If it has been sitting a while, it will need to prime up (plus the float bowls will be empty.

You’ll probably need to drain the fuel tank too, as the fuel will smell like lacquer and will be hard to start on that.

I’m subscribed to your thread, and will help out where I can.:)

Mike

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I talked to a guy today who said the problem had nothing to do with the lower plug, but that the lower carburettor was simply icing up. He solved it by putting a hair dryer in his garage and warming the carby in extremely cold weather.

Does the '97 M600 Dark have heated carbies?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I talked to a guy today who said the problem had nothing to do with the lower plug, but that the lower carburettor was simply icing up. He solved it by putting a hair dryer in his garage and warming the carby in extremely cold weather.

Does the '97 M600 Dark have heated carbies?
sounds like water in the fuel... take them suckers out and clean them up!

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
It'll also be good to turn it over like motoxman described, as it has a vacuum operated fuel pump/ tap and it needs engine vacuum to start working. If it has been sitting a while, it will need to prime up (plus the float bowls will be empty.
no plugs = no vacuum

·
Registered
188 Posts
no plugs = no vacuum
Connect a set of manometers to an engine with no plugs, there will still be some vacuum, just not as much as normal. Trust me ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just brought it home :)
- The battery is the wrong sort, it's from the M900 and puts out 4 amps less. I'm pretty confident this is the root of his electrical problems.
- The front plug is really fouled and I think this is what he means by 'blown'. It's oily rather than carbonised so I suspect that it just wasn't firing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts