Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
I believe it is. Didn't we find that in the bottom of a well or something?
Pretty close.

You deserve a medal for fishing that out for me while dodging bullets from the national guard.

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
That sounds like a great story...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Ha. It is a good story and probably one of the better team adventures in the history of this board.

I need to wait for the statue of limitations to expire but what I'll say for now is that the quest for nice rare Ducatis can sometimes lead to some questionable places and even more questionable characters...

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Ha. It is a good story and probably one of the better team adventures in the history of this board.

I need to wait for the statue of limitations to expire but what I'll say for now is that the quest for nice rare Ducatis can sometimes lead to some questionable places and even more questionable characters...
I must say, this all sounds pretty damn intriguing. Would be interested to read more once the "statue of limitations" has expired!

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
Okay, here is a little bit of it.

A couple of years ago, I was on the hunt for a ’97 or ’98 916 SPS. Anyone who’s searched for one of these knows that they’re difficult to find.

For weeks and weeks I searched every corner of the web to see what it could turn up. One day, I came across a super strange ad in cycletrader that looked like a scam. It had no pictures and read something like this:

“1998 Ducati 916SPS for sale. Two bikes. One has 6,200 miles and one has 7 miles. I would like to $11,500 for one and $12,000 for the other to pay the bank. The bank might have to get paid more. Contact me for more details.” Except there were no contact details. You could only "reply" to the ad.

It read exactly like a scam would. Absurdly low prices and a hint that the bank needs more money on top of the bikes. (think Nigerian prince here).

I ignored it. However, over the following week, the same ad kept popping up. So I said, “what the heck? I’ll bite,” and I so I replied to the ad. Part of the reply was that I had to include a phone number.

Nothing happened and I went along my business as usual, chalking the ad up to another scam. Then one day, my phone starting ringing over and over from a strange number...

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
This reads a bit like a Ducati.ms covid19 mystery serial..
Tune in next week to find out if the Sherpa is dealing with a dirty rotten scammer or if there's limited edition Ducati gold to be found..

·
Premium Member
5,219 Posts
Okay, here is a little bit of it.

A couple of years ago, I was on the hunt for a ’97 or ’98 916 SPS. Anyone who’s searched for one of these knows that they’re difficult to find.

For weeks and weeks I searched every corner of the web to see what it could turn up. One day, I came across a super strange ad in cycletrader that looked like a scam. It had no pictures and read something like this:

“1998 Ducati 916SPS for sale. Two bikes. One has 6,200 miles and one has 7 miles. I would like to $11,500 for one and $12,000 for the other to pay the bank. The bank might have to get paid more. Contact me for more details.” Except there were no contact details. You could only "reply" to the ad.

It read exactly like a scam would. Absurdly low prices and a hint that the bank needs more money on top of the bikes. (think Nigerian prince here).

I ignored it. However, over the following week, the same ad kept popping up. So I said, “what the heck? I’ll bite,” and I so I replied to the ad. Part of the reply was that I had to include a phone number.

Nothing happened and I went along my business as usual, chalking the ad up to another scam. Then one day, my phone starting ringing over and over from a strange number...

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
Part 2:

So I am in a meeting and phone is just ringing incessantly from this strange number. Finally, I walk out and take the phone call. I answer and all of a sudden there is a very excited man on the other end talking a mile a minute about Ducatis and SPS’s and how ecstatic he is to have me on the phone. While he is jabbering away, I could feel my phone vibrating with incoming text messages. I soon realize that this is the seller who listed the ad in Cycletrader. However, the guy is going on an on and I’m looking around awkwardly for a quiet place in the office to sit down and just trying to follow what he is talking about is making my stomach hurt. I already start feeling a slight pang of regret for even responding to the ad.

When he is done going on and on for what was at least 5 minutes about all kinds of things (his life story, where he lives, his career, etc.) I have a chance to ask him some questions about the bikes. My first question was where are they physically located. He gets very quiet (for the first time since I answered the phone) and says he cannot disclose where they are but they’re in “a very safe place” and he had checked on them recently.

So I zoom right past that super red flag and went to question number 2. I said "okay, do you have the titles?” He responded that he did not have the titles and that the bank had the titles. I asked which bank and that led into a long very convoluted story of a loan he took out when he bought both bikes in 1998, followed by a series of bank purchases and then a long rambling story that I couldn’t follow.

Finally, I stopped him. I said, “Okay, I am not sure which bike I will buy if everything checks out but if we are going to go any further, I need to know which bank is right now holding the titles to the bikes and how much money is owed.” He gave me the name of the bank and then told me he didn’t know the exact figure but it would be something like “this” and proceeded to spit out an absolutely eye watering number. I thought I heard him wrong. I asked him to repeat it. He did. Apparently I did hear it right the first time.

So then he suddenly starts asking me, "So you're going to buy the bike, right? One them, right? You are, right?" My stomach started hurting again.

I said that I would have to go talk to the bank before we proceeded any further and I would need the information on the loan. He said to check my phone. Remember those text messages I heard vibrating? He had texted me his drivers license, social security card, loan number, bank info, mother's maiden name, all of his personal information that every personal security guide says never to share with anyone, ever. I rolled my eyes. Whatever this adventure held, it was definitely going to be at least that - an adventure. I said I’ll call him back.

I looked up the bank he gave me to see if I had a branch in my state. Indeed I did and I also had one about 10 min from my office. I left work and went to that branch and asked to speak to the branch manager. I went back to her office and explained to her that I would like to buy an article of collateral out of a loan that’s on her books. She smiled at me and said that’s no problem at all and they do that all the time. She asked for the loan information and pulled it up. She was super pleasant the whole time. Then I saw her look at the screen and her smile disappeared and I could literally see the color drain from her face right before my eyes.

She then took off her glasses, placed them on the desk, and turned to me and looked me dead in the eye and said, “Are you telling me that you know where these Ducatis are?"

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
Part 2:

So I am in a meeting and phone is just ringing incessantly from this strange number. Finally, I walk out and take the phone call. I answer and all of a sudden there is a very excited man on the other end talking a mile a minute about Ducatis and SPS’s and how ecstatic he is to have me on the phone. While he is jabbering away, I could feel my phone vibrating with incoming text messages. I soon realize that this is the seller who listed the ad in Cycletrader. However, the guy is going on an on and I’m looking around awkwardly for a quiet place in the office to sit down and just trying to follow what he is talking about is making my stomach hurt. I already start feeling a slight pang of regret for even responding to the ad.

When he is done going on and on for what was at least 5 minutes about all kinds of things (his life story, where he lives, his career, etc.) I have a chance to ask him some questions about the bikes. My first question was where are they physically located. He gets very quiet (for the first time since I answered the phone) and says he cannot disclose where they are but they’re in “a very safe place” and he had checked on them recently.

So I zoom right past that super red flag and went to question number 2. I said "okay, do you have the titles?” He responded that he did not have the titles and that the bank had the titles. I asked which bank and that led into a long very convoluted story of a loan he took out when he bought both bikes in 1998, followed by a series of bank purchases and then a long rambling story that I couldn’t follow.

Finally, I stopped him. I said, “Okay, I am not sure which bike I will buy if everything checks out but if we are going to go any further, I need to know which bank is right now holding the titles to the bikes and how much money is owed.” He gave me the name of the bank and then told me he didn’t know the exact figure but it would be something like “this” and proceeded to spit out an absolutely eye watering number. I thought I heard him wrong. I asked him to repeat it. He did. Apparently I did hear it right the first time.

So then he suddenly starts asking me, "So you're going to buy the bike, right? One them, right? You are, right?" My stomach started hurting again.

I said that I would have to go talk to the bank before we proceeded any further and I would need the information on the loan. He said to check my phone. Remember those text messages I heard vibrating? He had texted me his drivers license, social security card, loan number, bank info, mother's maiden name, all of his personal information that every personal security guide says never to share with anyone, ever. I rolled my eyes. Whatever this adventure held, it was definitely going to be at least that - an adventure. I said I’ll call him back.

I looked up the bank he gave me to see if I had a branch in my state. Indeed I did and I also had one about 10 min from my office. I left work and went to that branch and asked to speak to the branch manager. I went back to her office and explained to her that I would like to buy an article of collateral out of a loan that’s on her books. She smiled at me and said that’s no problem at all and they do that all the time. She asked for the loan information and pulled it up. She was super pleasant the whole time. Then I saw her look at the screen and her smile disappeared and I could literally see the color drain from her face right before my eyes.

She then took off her glasses, placed them on the desk, and turned to me and looked me dead in the eye and said, “Are you telling me that you know where these Ducatis are?"
Leaving us on a cliff hanger here...😬
"Dammit I hate ad-breaks"

·
Premium Member
5,219 Posts
Part 2:

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,860 Posts
Great bike, and I don't believe I've heard the story (maybe I did), but I'm pretty sure I know both what happened and how it ended.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Wow. Just Nutz! But too nutz to be made-up.

"Subscribed"

·
Registered
770 Posts
he must be in a state that's not on lockdown anymore..

21 - 40 of 54 Posts