Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Matt
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently acquired this 1997 916 SPS, bike number 79 of 404 made. I guess I have a thing for the 1997's as this isn't my first one. For the SPS this was the only year for the Cagiva-era graphics on the side fairings and the "Ducati Racing" logo on the rear wheel. My favorite Ducati street bike. This bike was originally sold in the US. 01.jpg 02.jpg 03.jpg 04.jpg 05.jpg

·
Matt
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
And look at those correct Brembo wheels.

·
Matt
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Matt
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Premium Member
641 Posts

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
And look at those correct Brembo wheels.
Adorned in period Hi Sports even !
I would call them Brembo boat anchors, which is a shame cuz they do look pretty cool in that period correct kinda way

XLR8R, are any of your '97 SPS riders? I assume this one isn't given the ancient rubber

Stunning pics as ususal !

·
Matt
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
XLR8R, are any of your '97 SPS riders? I assume this one isn't given the ancient rubber
No, I don't. And this bike only has ~100 miles on it, so it I'm not planning to ride it. I have one of my 916 SPA's that I use for riding. And to preface the "bikes were made to be ridden" debate that someone will inevitably bring up....I can't imagine myself buying a new bike from the showroom floor and not riding it, but finding a 23 year old 1997 SPS in this condition - - it deserves to be preserved.

And yeah, you could derail a freight train with that rear wheel alone!

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I'm glad you ride the SPA, it would be tough to have so many beautiful, iconic Desmoquattros and not ride at least one of them as hard as you know how!
I'm definitely in the "ride 'em if you got 'em" camp, but something like this time capsule with essentially zero miles is indeed a different story all together.
As ever XLR8R, thank you for taking the time to take and post amazing photos of your latest amazing bike. It is appreciated!
Speaking of which... ;) Have you ever posted pics of the Picotte 998rs?

·
Matt
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Thank you for providing my new background images! :)
Seriously - beautiful machine and great photos.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
I agree with the meat to ride sentiment. But some people have immunity to this b/c of their collection. History will like to have some mint examples, like the one in this thread. No need to ride.

·
Premium Member
502 Posts
I thought the 1998 916 SPS also had the Cagiva style graphics on the sides...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Matt
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Premium Member
641 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
The beauty of that 916 is astonishing!
I'm kinda glad you're not riding that bike on those Michelin Highside tires... I hated those tires so much I can't even begin to explain.

·
Matt
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 54 Posts