Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Caveat: Sorry about the crap lighting for the videos, the weather here in northern VA/DC hasn’t been the best recently. Photos are on Flicker at https://flic.kr/s/aHsksMUkow. I think. If not, email me. If you’re Flicker savvy, you’re welcome to paste them below.

This ad is for a 1997 Ducati 916 Monoposto. Shows very well and has never been tracked or wrecked. Survivor condition (note the original turn signals and reflectors). Minimal mods, consisting of a Termignoni (?) exhaust, chip, Corbin seat and wheels. Exceptionally maintained and always garaged and covered.

Price: $5,900.
Current mileage is 22,163. Patina consistent with a bike with far fewer miles.

Extensive service records go back to the original California owner. It had $2k worth of service at 20.3K, which included a new clutch, belts, Engine Ice and other items consistent with a full service. I purchased at 20.5K in Dec 13.

While in my care:
Oil/Filters changed at 20.5K miles (Dec 13) and 22K miles (Nov 15). Mobil 1 Synthetic.
New Michelin Pilot Powers at 21K (Apr 14). Note the chicken strips and nubs.
New battery Mar 15. I added the battery tender when I purchased the bike.
Larger diameter battery cable (battery to starter solenoid).
Bike has never left me stranded and other than a weak battery (which is consistent with the breed and has been addressed) has never presented an issue.

Personal info: Prior owners (three, we have spoken and I have their info) will tell you the bike was possibly hand built as a demo model for the 1997 Ducati press tour. That may be true, but it wasn’t a factor for my purchase, subsequently I never bothered to verify it. I’ve owned (4) 916 era Ducati Superbikes and ever since 1995 I wanted one of these, that being an unmolested, low mileage 916 with the rare Cagiva graphics. After looking for years, I happened across this one in Richmond and upon seeing it, I couldn’t believe it a 17 year old motorcycle, let alone an unmolested 916. Most 916 era Ducatis have significant mods, crash damage or have been safety wired (track days) not this one and I’d have no concern riding it anywhere if I only had the time.

Why the sale? After 20 years, I’m retiring from the Army next month and need to liquidate some toys. Other than a monthly 50-mile loop around Quantico, this bike never gets ridden and stays in the garage, plugged into a tender and under 2 separate bike covers (flannel for paint preservation and then an actual bike cover).

You will not find a better condition, maintained and documented Ducati 916. Price reflects this and I am not desperate to sell (and yes, I am aware it would sell for more in the spring/summer). I welcome any inquiry and while test rides wont happen, I am willing to have whomever you deem appropriate inspect it.

Thanks- Scott

Attachments

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Addle photos

Attachments

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Wow she looks nice! As we get closer to riding season I'm sure you'll sell this thing without issue! If I didn't have 12 Ducati's sitting in my garage I would snatch this thing up for sure! Good luck with the sale!

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
Bump for a beautiful bike!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nope, not on DCsportbikes. To be honest, Ive never heard of it (but I don't get out much either). Im probably not going to be very proactive with this sale. Its only on here and ADVRider, with the intent it go to an enthusiast that can appreciate what it is. As mentioned, Ive owned several of this era bike, both my 748s sold via CL or 'that auction site', and not long after were back up for sale having either been dropped or mechanically abused. I cannot do that with this one. My 916/955 went to a collector and that, or a mature enthusiast, is the intent. At the most Id probably take it to Ducpond and see if Donnie has an interest in consignment (he did the tires), but thats months down the road.

Thank you for the comment btw. You too Micah and Viper.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Nice bike! GLWS

Maybe a noob question but why the zip tie on the clutch pivot point?

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Wow she looks nice! As we get closer to riding season I'm sure you'll sell this thing without issue! If I didn't have 12 Ducati's sitting in my garage I would snatch this thing up for sure! Good luck with the sale!
as my says to me, "how many asses do you have"!, not is what i tell her.:surprise:

Reactions: Viper1

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
nice bike by the way. cant edit in this forum.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I couldn't tell you, it was like that when I bought it. Only 'mods' Ive done is diagnosis the weak charging system, which turned out to be a nearly severed battery cable. I had the local NAPA store make a larger gauge cable and swapped it out. No more starting issues. That and I added the battery tender pigtail. While Im an enthusiast I am not a mechanic further than simple oil and filter swaps. Good question. Have any more, or want to see anything specific, Ill do the best I can to photog and upload it. And Im serious about having it inspected. Its a near 20 year old bike and as mentioned Im owner #4. Memories fade. Do your own due diligence and by all means Im here to help.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nope, I wish I was. One of life's regrets and Ive always admired those who could play.

If you're offering to barter something though, I would be interested in a 1968 Fender Strat, strung upside down for a left handed player.

·
Premium Member
5,643 Posts
I would be interested in a 1968 Fender Strat, strung upside down for a left handed player.
It may take some crosstown traffic, but it you look along the watch tower, next to the red house, you may find one!

Beautiful bike!

Reactions: Micah.Berry

·
Premium Member
4,374 Posts
Fx1cr
Zip tie is a period correct modification for hollow pivot master cylinders. They were prone to losing the sheet metal nut that holds the pivot , with the nut gone the pivot pin could work its way out. You do not want to lose a lever. At the dealership we always zip tied them as a added safety measure.

+1 bump for a great looking bike.
I would also make sure people know those are magnesium wheels not just oem 5 spokes the bike should a fun ride.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Answers (specific to ducatims: wheels)

This bike is on 2 separate websites. Ive had inmates from both contact me today and in the interest of efficiency Ill address both with the same response. Maybe some of you had the same questions and Ive added a few photos to the Flickr to document this. And upon further research I may have goofed by only asking $5.9K. Whats done is done and if the ad up, against my better judgement and wife's opinion its still for sale.

Bike stand: Is included.

Wheels: Yes they are magnesium and were purchased new in 1999 for about $2,400. See FullSizeRender-11.

Rockers: Valves were replaced under warranty in 2001 at 13,162 miles. See IMG_6692. Valves were also inspected at 20,388 (IMG_6692 and IMG_6686 are part of the recent work order from Richmond Superbikes). Neither service specifically mentions rockers, but you're not going to replace valves or inspect them and leave flaking rockers. Im certain cost wasn't an issue at either service. That and Ive had the same concern with previous Ducatis, but those were higher revving 748s and I had both those bikes checked after my purchase (at Ducpond in Northern VA-1999/748 and another dealer in Knoxville TN-2001/748). 1999/748 needed 2 rockers and they were replaced, I think for about $120 each. 916s are a lower revving engine and the flaking rockers were typically (from what Ive read and been told- YMMV) a condition that presented itself early in the bike's use and moreso with the smaller engines. At 22K miles, 19 years of vetting and especially after the recent service Im not worried about rockers. If you are I understand, just know Testastretta rockers aren't the hand grenade the internet would have you believe.

Service history: Lengthy and documented. See IMG_6592.

And oh, just for Ducatims- guitar in question is currently owned by Paul Allen and he paid a lot more than $20K. Was a joke, SS904 got it. Id be happy Chuckracer to give you $20K and my 916 for it.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.