Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a nice 1997 916 mono a couple of weeks ago. It only has 4880 miles on the clock, but it's been dropped (encounter with ice according to the PO) resulting in some damage to right side fairings, and it was painted at some point before that. The repaint included non-factory decals with Italian flags under the clearcoat (a little cheesy), so I plan to reshoot the whole bike in the spring.

I'm able to source factory decals, but I'm having trouble finding pictures of the front and rear so I can correctly locate some of the smaller ones. Would someone mind sending me some shots (close ups) of all the decals in the correct factory locations? Better yet, some dimensions from fairing edges, body lines, etc. would be much appreciated. Other than the paint job, this bike is almost completely unmolested, and I think it's worth putting back as original as possible. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
As far as measurements go, Ducati at the time didn’t use mask silhouette for their decals so there is only an approximate location. Some of them were all over the shop. And for what it’s worth, the decal color has changed over time possibly due to manufacturer changes.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks a lot guys! This helps a bunch.

There are a couple of others I have questions on though. There's the "Ducati Campione Del Mondo Superbike" decal that goes on the side of the tail. I've found some pictures on the web that get me close. I'm probably good there, but if someone has a close up, that would be great. Also, not a great pic but does anyone know where the one below goes?

Thanks again for your input. I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I wanted to thank everyone again for all the quick replies to my questions on decal placement. One final question regarding paint. It seems like Ducati put white number plates either on the nose or the tail, but never both. I’d like to add them at least on the tail, but would it be sacrilege to do both?

This refurbishment got interesting over the last few weeks, so I’ll go ahead and use this thread to tell the story.

I mentioned in my first post that the odometer shows ultra-low mileage. If that’s accurate, it’s been a pretty eventful 5000 miles. I already noted the repaint followed by another low side.

A little history. I bought the bike a couple of months ago in non-running condition. The PO said it ran when he bought it, but it quit suddenly one day. With the key on, everything lit up, but the fuel pump wouldn’t prime. The PO had been troubleshooting and had replaced the fuel pump, filter and hoses, had a box of various relays that he had been swapping out. He also had replaced the air pressure and temperature sensors, and it had a new battery, new spark plugs and a fresh oil change.

My intention was to make sure I could get it to run and then bring the maintenance up to date since the PO didn’t have any service records. The first thing I tried when I got it home was to swap the two relays under the seat.

Viola!! It fired rite up. It seemed to run well but with maybe a little excessive valve noise. Also, the oil light flickered at idle. I bought a new oil pressure switch, and when I went to install it I found that it had already been replaced at some point. Hmmm? So, I suspected the oil gallery plug @#$%!! I drained the “new” oil and sure enough, it was full or aluminum shavings. Note to self, beware of non-running bikes with new oil.

I got the bike for a “great” price, so I figured it was worth spending a little more money on. Too cold to ride anyway. I pulled the engine and tore it apart. Sure enough, the gallery plug was loose and only held in place by a couple of buggered up threads. That was close! I also found a couple of bad rockers which accounted for the valve noise.

I’ve replaced the bad parts as well as every gasket and seal I came across, adjusted valves and installed new belts. I also cleaned everything until it sparkles. Over the weekend I got it all back together into the frame.

Now it turns over nicely but won’t fire. Needs a little trouble shooting, but I’ll figure it out. I’ll keep you posted, but in the meantime, here are some progress pics.

·
Premium Member
5,865 Posts
One final question regarding paint. It seems like Ducati put white number plates either on the nose or the tail, but never both. I’d like to add them at least on the tail, but would it be sacrilege to do both?
It depends entirely on how faithful you want the bike to be with regards to being "period correct". Unless I'm mistaken, the only Ducati's of that era which had a number plate on the nose were the full on Corse machines, e.g., the 955 SPa Corse, or the 748RS. As far as the number plate on the tail, a fairly high percentage (not sure of the actual number) of the monoposto's had these.

Beautiful work on this build... the motor looks absolutely stunning.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It depends entirely on how faithful you want the bike to be with regards to being "period correct". Unless I'm mistaken, the only Ducati's of that era which had a number plate on the nose were the full on Corse machines, e.g., the 955 SPa Corse, or the 748RS. As far as the number plate on the tail, a fairly high percentage (not sure of the actual number) of the monoposto's had these.

Beautiful work on this build... the motor looks absolutely stunning.
Thanks Prophet. I don't want to damage the bike's value, but I also don't think these are collector's items....yet. I'm on the fence between keeping it original and making it look the way I like.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Nice work! The engine looks great.

That galley plug was a good find. I ran into the galley plug issue on a 1999 996 engine. It was as bad as yours. Finger loose and well worn down. I wouldn't have found it until it failed if I had not been in to change the gearbox to close-ratio. (not a worth while mode)

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
The white number boards on the back were typically an SP feature, the first 916 was a solo and the seat unit was plain red, like TNR's example. Plenty of people run the white number boards on the tail, they look good and i doubt it would detract from it's value (unless yours is a 94/95 916 that had a factory red solo seat tail).
Running white number board on the nose looks a bit off, in my opinion, the headlights ruin the lines and to do it right you need to research the model year against the factory race bike from that year, they were slightly different year on year..... I'd leave the front red, that's just my preference though, it's your bike, do what you want to it.

Nice to see another resurrected, well done! far too many are parted out for spares by ruthless shops that are only interested in maximising profit, i've seen some really nice running examples split up for parts, such a shame. Still, they can't all be saved and those that try to save one need parts from somewhere.....

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I got it running. Turns out the new fuel pump the PO had installed took a dump. It actually looked new, would spin but wouldn't pump. New pump and I'm on the road again. There are still a couple of things to work out though. It pulls really strong in lower gears, but bogs at highway speeds. Seems like maybe it's starving for fuel. I'll be double checking the pump and maybe the "new" fuel filter.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I got it running. Turns out the new fuel pump the PO had installed took a dump. It actually looked new, would spin but wouldn't pump. New pump and I'm on the road again. There are still a couple of things to work out though. It pulls really strong in lower gears, but bogs at highway speeds. Seems like maybe it's starving for fuel. I'll be double checking the pump and maybe the "new" fuel filter.
while you're at it check the internal fuel lines for splits, cracks etc, if you need to replace them make sure you use proper in tank hose that is fuel resistant externally

1 - 20 of 40 Posts