Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm new to motorcycles and I am starting with this 900ss which I just purchased today.

I want to update the look of this bike to that of a 1999 900ss or something as close to the 2002 900ss. First is I need Full Fairings either for the 900ss or any kind.

If there was a way to make it look like a superbike I would take all suggestions and instructions. If i could get the tailend of a superbike and put it on my 900ss and somehow manage to have twin headlights kind of like the 748-749 or even from a superbike not the typical round ones that i see around...i would be the happiest guy in the world.

maybe even putting the exaust under the tail like the 748-749? I had a friend burn his foot/ankle with a pipe so severely that he had skin graphs taken from his rear to fix his foot and ankle.I would really like a monoposto seat...is that even possible...

any ideas to get me thinking will be greatly appreciated cause when the bike is physically/mechanically ready i will be taking a road trip from NC-to-CA. I need a vacation..and wheather is not a problem for me when it comes to adventure... I want to put heated grips maybe some kind of saddle bags? not sure yet but the idea is to get it ready to get out of Charlotte.

Thanks for your suggestions

·
Banned
2,916 Posts
Thanks for your suggestions
a great bike that you have just bought, looks perfect in black with
that nuda half fairing in my eyes. :)
i suggest NOT to turn in into anything else, that it ain't in the first place,
as you might regret your work later on.

don't ask how i know. :)

great bike, i gotta say it again, keep it stock for heavens sake.

:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Muschi - Schoenes name...I frage mich wie viele leute wissen was es ubersetzst.

so what about a monoposto seat and just putting on the full fairings, leaving the front fairing and lights as is?

·
Banned
2,916 Posts
Muschi, a nice synonym for either pussy cat or vagina, i think many people
here have an idea, lots of you seem to have been over here for some years.

yes, you can sure buy yourself the mono tail and have it painted black,
same with a full carenata fairing, that won't hurt at all.

it is just that so many of these bikes had been trimmed into superbike 916
style at one point ( mid nineties ), or into naked bikes later on too.

that was all cool in my eyes, but is not any longer, as the times have moved
on, and your bike is on the step to become an adoreable classic.

i love them. :eek:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i found this online.

http://airtech-streamlining.com/ducati/SUPERTWIN1991-97.htm

i would love to do something similar as on the page without the front fairing because it looks like a cheap modification to make it look like new lights.

Could you tell me some pointers as to how to convert the tail to a monoposto.
Where to buy it, do i have to modify parts of the bike? change the gastank or the seat..as i'm new i need to understand the details of such an "operation".

I love a finished look that is why i want the full fairings and of course for protection.

I am not american...i am from spain but i moved here 5 years ago.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
For the amount of time and money you will invest in converting the bike, not to mention decreasing the value and resale of the bike, your best bet would be to just sell the '97 and go buy a '99-'03 model.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Full fairing, hard bags, cross country...you need an ST2! And to my eye, they look closer to the later SS also.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
LEAVE IT AS IS! :eek: There, I feel better now. I have a 1997 SP (yours is a CR) and I went from the full to the 1/2 fairings like you have, because I like the look better (seeing the motor), they're lighter, and the engine runs a bit cooler. If you must change it, Airtech and SharkSkinz both make aftermarket full fairings and single seats, but then you'll have to get them painted. Besides, you have a far nicer, more comfy saddle (Corbin?) than anything you can get with a single seat, and it's much better for mounting saddlebags and/or a seat bag on, which you'll need for a long trip. Forget underseat exhaust; Hindle used to make them but they're discontinued. I don't know how anyone could burn themselves on the exhaust you have now without trying really hard. Plus those look like nice aftermarket carbon fiber cans! You have a beautiful, classic Supersport; don't screw it up.
Joe

·
Senior Italophile
867 Posts
I have done several tours on my 900ss and find that the stock setup with the two up seat is the best way to go as you can throw a duffel type saddle bag over the seat and you are good to go. Solo seats are sexy, and they are great for everyday canyon or track riding but limit you on what you can carry on the bike. I have had the Airtech one and the Ducati Superlight/FE style one. I can tell you that the mounting for both is pretty delicate. as the seat is mounted using the fiberglass bolt holes and you have to usually make a brace for the seat part so that you do not put too much weight on the glass and break/crack it.
In my oppinion do not change the fairings. You can make whatever performance changes you like but the short fairings are actually a performance upgrade for these bikes as they are lighter and the bike runs cooler.
If you want a bike that looks like a superbike then maybe you should sell it and pick up a superbike :)

·
Registered
104 Posts
mono seat

I have a mono rear with seat. I would gladly do an even trade for your rear end. PM me for photos

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
would you be able to show me a picture of it?
installed or not installed? i'm really curious as to what the final outcome is.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts