Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

I have a 1997 Ducati 748 that I bought new, and it's been sitting for a number of years because of, well, life. Anyway, I'd like to get this bike going again, so I got a battery, put some fuel in, and it proceeded to drain out, which was exactly what I hoped would happen.. :eek:

I'm attaching a pic of my bike from better days, as well as a pic of the underside of the fuel tank, from this day. If someone could help me out with what "A" is, which where the fuel was coming from, and "B" as well, I would be most appreciative. I noticed the breather tube that leads out the bottom of the bike was corroded, and pretty much done for. I figured that was the problem until I realized it was the breather tube. Dunno where that goes to though, it seems much wider than "A" and "B". Also, the fuel pump is not priming (I have electrical), so I'll maybe need a new one, so if anyone knows a good source, again, thanks.

Best regards from Kansas.

-Adam

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,708 Posts
A is a vent barb. A hose usually is attached that tees into another hose coming off of another vent barb just opposite of that. Those two hoses attach to a single hose that vents through the belly pan. B is the Fuel pressure regulator. It is attached to nothing.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks very much for the reply Jimmy. OK so that makes sense, the corroded vent hose is supposed to be hooked up to "A". So any idea why fuel would be pouring from there when added to the tank?

Thanks,

-Adam

·
Premium Member
3,708 Posts
Hoses are corroded in the tank. Pull the fuel pump assembly out and you'll probably see the hoses for the vent setup are corroded. The vent (or "A") hooks up to the cap on top of the tank with hoses....sounds like a good time to replace ALL of the hoses inside the tank.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Be sure to use submersible fuel line that is rated for fuel injection for the lines from/to the pump. Gates 30R10 is available at the local parts place for about $25 per foot. You'll need a little less than a foot. You can use cheaper line (I used 30R7) for the other in-tank vent lines. There are two, each about 8 inches long.

I did mine about 3 months ago and did not read the posts about moving the fuel filter outboard of the tank before I did. Might be a good time for you to make that modification.

oh... and search about how to get the big o-ring re-seated using longer bolts and nuts. It worked a charm for me.

·
Registered
2001 ST4, 2002 M750S, 2008 848
264 Posts
also be sure that when you replace the hoses, you get properly sized clamps for them and don't be afraid to tighten the hell out of them or even double up on them. There are numerous threads in this forum with stories of hoses that have "popped" off inside the tank after being replaced.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks. So far I've got ordered a fuel pump, filter, aluminum quick disconnects, o-ring, and aluminum fuel sender nut.

Anything else? I want to do it right the first time!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh the humanity!! Look at the carnage!

I have a another question for you experts that have done this before. I know I need to get the long 30r10 hoses, but what about the ones marked "A" and "B" in the attached photo? They're Ducati part#'s 590.1.059.1A and 590.1.058.1A, and they're expensive. Obviously they're submersed as well, but they seem to be a different quality (and size) as the two long hoses that need to be replaced. I do plan on replacing all of the hoses as advised, so any insight would be appreciated. And one more question. In another attached photo, the part marked "C", I'm not sure the Ducati part#. It has the wires coming out of it that attach to the fuel pump. Does that need to be replaced as well? It seems to be in OK shape.

Thanks again folks. I'm keeping good notes, and I'll have a write up at the end.

-Adam

Attachments

·
Registered
265 Posts
boy the vent hoses where shot
the other hoses check the feel if they are soft replace them
c is fuel level sender
might want to take a look at belts if hoses did that sitting up
how long was it parked?
hth

·
A 748 Fanatic
3,155 Posts
Avonnieda

Hi, I love the 748's. I have 2, a 1998s and a 2000, both yellow.

Does your pump work at all? If it doesn't and its stuck a new ones in order. But, if it free and won't power up you might want to check the fuses. The pump fuse is on the right side under the seat under your right butt cheak.

There a couple wires on the inside of the frame that run aft. They have black rubber caps. Ones a 5 amp fuse and the others a 20 amp blade fuse. One of my bikes died as if the fuel was cut off while I was riding it. Acted like the pump was dead. Found the fuse which was not in that group fuse block, opened the cover and it was completely corroded inhalf. Removed all the nasty parts, cleaned and lubed the receptical. Put in a new fuse and she fired right up.

That pump will always run breifly when the switch is selected on. Now if it runs continuously it probably a bad hose in the tank inside on the pump pack. Look inside the tank, fuel movement inside denotes a leaking or seperated hose.

Use some lub on the green seal when reinstalling the pump pack into the tank bottom and you should be good to go.

I really don't now much. My Ducati have never been to a dealer since I've owned them. I have the manuals and have taught myself what to do.

The 748 is fantatic. And in the day, according to your pic she was a sweet ride.

Keep in touch, George

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
boy the vent hoses where shot
the other hoses check the feel if they are soft replace them
c is fuel level sender
might want to take a look at belts if hoses did that sitting up
how long was it parked?
hth
Hi Marty,

It's been sitting round about 4 years, and was not drained of any fluids, prepped etc. I'll look for some threads on checking the belts, and I've just gotten a Haynes manual in the mail today. The particular hoses I had circled really don't seem bad at all, I just figured I'd replace all while I was in there, and I don't know if I absolutely need to get those exact hoses via the part numbers or not, or if there's a cheaper alternative. I'll likely err on the side of caution and pay the $$. Thanks for the reply and the advice.

-Adam

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi, I love the 748's. I have 2, a 1998s and a 2000, both yellow.

Does your pump work at all? If it doesn't and its stuck a new ones in order. But, if it free and won't power up you might want to check the fuses. The pump fuse is on the right side under the seat under your right butt cheak.

There a couple wires on the inside of the frame that run aft. They have black rubber caps. Ones a 5 amp fuse and the others a 20 amp blade fuse. One of my bikes died as if the fuel was cut off while I was riding it. Acted like the pump was dead. Found the fuse which was not in that group fuse block, opened the cover and it was completely corroded inhalf. Removed all the nasty parts, cleaned and lubed the receptical. Put in a new fuse and she fired right up.

That pump will always run breifly when the switch is selected on. Now if it runs continuously it probably a bad hose in the tank inside on the pump pack. Look inside the tank, fuel movement inside denotes a leaking or seperated hose.

Use some lub on the green seal when reinstalling the pump pack into the tank bottom and you should be good to go.

I really don't now much. My Ducati have never been to a dealer since I've owned them. I have the manuals and have taught myself what to do.

The 748 is fantatic. And in the day, according to your pic she was a sweet ride.

Keep in touch, George
Hi George,

Yep, she was a sweet ride, and she will be again. I love this bike, and I'll get her back in shape eventually :) I've already figured out the the pump is a goner, and got one in the mail today, tested it, and it's ready to go. Just need to wait on some more parts, and found that the pump filter is shot too, so I need to order one of those. I'll be pretty much rebuilding the whole assembly, and that's fine, it's all good. If I can get through this, check the belts, and fire her up I'll be a happy camper.

Thanks you guys, this is a kick ass forum, great people.

-Adam

1 - 16 of 16 Posts